Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2017, 07:28 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Looking for cool RV park(s) for July/August.

While we love the lake (Lake Greenwood SC) it can be very hot and humid there July and August. I'm looking for ideas, places we might spend 2 to 4 weeks, where you would normally find much more moderate temps and humidity. I suspect these would all be at a higher latitude or altitude.

Keep in mind, our coach is 45', we need big rig friendly access and accommodations. Would like the area to be scenic and/or have plenty to do and explore. Paved interior roads and pads are a plus, but not absolutely necessary. Public or private OK.

So fellow members, where do you go to "be cool"?
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2017, 07:32 AM   #2

This time of year any place North of I-40 will be cool
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 07:46 AM   #3

North Shore of Lake Superior MN. Burlington Bay in Two Harbors is on the lake and has s new big rig section with FHU. Walk, bike to downtown great restaurants, grocery, etc. Day trip up the Hwy 61 and enjoy. (We are only 33' so we move around a bit more but nothing wrong with staying put for a month or two.)

Duluth only 25 miles south has full access to everything when you need it including Bullyan RV Supercenter.
TJFogelberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
This is on our bucket list of places to go!:
Traverse City MI
Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
 We live in northern Illinois and it does get hot and muggy here too so I would suggest Traverse City Michigan and side trip to Mackinaw Island. Right on the lake so should have some nice breezes.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #5

We have been heading to Maine, near Bar Harbor, for the past 6-7 summers. Nice weather and lots to do.
Old 12-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #6

A couple places to consider -

Door County, WI - Cape Cod of the Midwest (lots of places to stay)
South Haven, MI - We like Sunnybrook Resort
St Ignace, MI - We like Lakeshore RV Campground - Spectacular views of Lake Michigan/Mackinac Bridge
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #7

Check out the website for Hearthside Grove in Petoskey Mi. Probably one of the nicest parks in the country and plenty to do and see in the area. 30 mins from the Mackinaw Bridge and the UP
cinitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patpedsrn View Post
This is on our bucket list of places to go!:
Traverse City MI
Mackinaw Mill Creek Campground
 We live in northern Illinois and it does get hot and muggy here too so I would suggest Traverse City Michigan and side trip to Mackinaw Island. Right on the lake so should have some nice breezes.

We did this last summer and Michigan is a hidden gem! We traveled from Tahquamenon Falls in the UP to Sault Ste Marie, Mackinaw City/Island, Petoskey SP, Sleeping Bear Dunes NP and Ludington SP. You can Home base in Traverse City area and easily make day trips. The temps last year were very mild in June & July! Need jacket by fire pit...

Door County, WIsc. is also a very neat place to stay the Summer! So much to see and do!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 10:59 AM   #9

For low humidity, you gotta get west of the Rockies. Even then, watch out for t'storms in AZ, Jul-Aug (monsoon season). Long drive, but I'm not one who wants to be imprisoned by A/C during hot weather. Very hot, not humid, here in the summer (May-Oct), but by driving an hour or two I can be up in the hills at 5,000-6,000ft el. Tall, cool pine trees!
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:55 PM   #10

We're doing Door County, WI and the Traverse City, MI area next summer. Last year we went to Colorado High Country - Gunnison, Buena Vista, etc - trying to be around 8000 ft and it was perfect. Here are my blog posts,

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 33-43 – Mesa Campground
Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 51-52 – Our Last Day In Buena Vista & Snowy Peaks Review
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dude View Post
We're doing Door County, WI and the Traverse City, MI area next summer. Last year we went to Colorado High Country - Gunnison, Buena Vista, etc - trying to be around 8000 ft and it was perfect. Here are my blog posts,

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 33-43 – Mesa Campground

Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2016 Western Trip – Days 51-52 – Our Last Day In Buena Vista & Snowy Peaks Review

You will have a great time in both Door County and Traverse City... hope you like CHERRIES! Both locations have acres of cherry trees. Let me know if you want any particular information.

Safe travels!
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 11:43 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
While we love the lake (Lake Greenwood SC) it can be very hot and humid there July and August. I'm looking for ideas, places we might spend 2 to 4 weeks, where you would normally find much more moderate temps and humidity. I suspect these would all be at a higher latitude or altitude.

Keep in mind, our coach is 45', we need big rig friendly access and accommodations. Would like the area to be scenic and/or have plenty to do and explore. Paved interior roads and pads are a plus, but not absolutely necessary. Public or private OK.

So fellow members, where do you go to "be cool"?
Check out Great Outdoors RV Resort in Franklin, NC

RV Park Western NC - Smoky Mountains - Asheville

Owners are super cool, there are always big RVs in there so you won't have any issues. Surrounding area is great for sightseeing, hiking, shopping and touring the little towns scattered around the mountains. We have been there twice, and will return in August again this year. They have a 10-10-10 rating on Good Sam, and I would agree after staying there. Plus, it won't be a long haul for you.
Dropthejacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You didn't say how far you're willing to go. However if you want the east coast as already mentioned Bar Harbor, or any part of Maine will be cooler. I also like the White mountains of northern NH, and the Lake George / Ft Ticonderoga area of NY

Mountain Lake RV Park-- Lancaster NH
Lake George RV Park--Lake George NY
Narrows II RV Park-- Bar Harbor ME
Shore Hill RV Park-- Boothbay ME

I've been to them all and would go back to them. Plus there's lots to do near them.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 07:19 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Thanks for all the great responses so far. You've given me some new places to research. Keep them coming!

Guess I should have put some parameters on distance, at least. Basically, we have none but practically would probably limit our western travel to the Rocky Mountain states, northern travel to US.

We're originally from Wisconsin and have been to Door county many times. We did Petoskey a few years ago and yes, it's beautiful up there. Both are good possibilities and great suggestions. Like many of us here, we're always looking for new experiences.

Friends spend a month each summer in Sante Fe but when I looked up the place they stay I wasn't real impressed. I did stumble on Angle Fire RV resort farther north, however. Anyone familiar with it? If we spent time there we'd be close to southern Colorado. Any good places there, I assume at higher elevations to take advantage of the milder temps.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote