Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2018, 12:36 PM   #1

Looking for Montana CG near shopping

We are looking for a one month stay in Montana this July. Would like to be close to shopping/dining. Need space for 40' MH. Any suggestions? Thanks.
UncleJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #2

Montana is such a big state, with so much to offer. If it is just shopping and dining you are looking for I guess that somewhere near Missoula or Bozeman would meet your criteria. But if you wanted to do something else with your time I would suggest that you look up anywhere around Columbia Falls, MT which would give you access to Glacier NP, Flathead Lake, Whitefish, and Missoula. You could cross into Canada and visit Waterton Lakes National Park.

UncleJ, I see that this is your first post. Welcome to the forum! If you better define your question, we might be able to help you more.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 02:27 PM   #3

For a one-month stay with a 40' MH, will you be towing a car? If so, most towns would have shopping and dining.... just depends if you want major 'big city-type". Or do you want someplace that you can walk to town?

As stated, Montana is a huge state, what area are you thinking? There's a lot more interesting things to do in Montana than eat and shop!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 03:03 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Having stayed in a couple of towns in Montana, (but not an expert by any means), I would not consider that a place to go to for shopping or restaurants. We love Montana .... however, it is not a culinary mecca. Next summer we will be in Polson for 2 weeks and a couple of weeks in Billings, Missoula and Bozeman. Two years ago spent time in Whitefish, Glacier, Butte and a couple of other towns. Again, wonderful area that has almost everything ... but really good restaurants and shopping! IMO ... but again, I'm from New Orleans, so there is no where like NOLA for food.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 04:37 PM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Wherever you end up, don’t overlook Montana Wheat at Exit 274, I-90 for baked goods and a good steak at Sir Scott’s Oasis in Manhattan, MT Exit 288.
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Our son lives in Bozeman and we love visiting there. So much to do, great breweries, nice Main Street, close to Yellowstone and many other local attractions. We will usually stay at least a few nights at Bozeman Hot Springs Campground - amazing pools to enjoy as well. They have quite a few nice full hookup sites, and have done some significant upgrades in the last couple years to the campground and hot springs. Its a bit pricey, but if you take advantage of the free hot springs passes, it's worth it. Here is the link: Bozeman Campground – Bozeman Hot Springs

Personally, I would find it very hard to stay in one place in Montana for long, it is an incredible state. Have fun planning your trip!
PackerPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:02 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Give us some idea where in Montana you'd like to stay. There are some great resorts in the state.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We also had a son in Bozeman for a number of years. Nice little ethnic restaurants, good breweries, nice shopping along Main Street. Lots of street fairs to enjoy too. I personally think the Hot Springs Campground is noisy, but it is probably the best around. Sunrise Campground is also in town, but it is next to the railroad tracks. If you can turn hearing aids off at night it is much less expensive. There are also some wonderful public campgrounds along the Gallatin River south of town, but I don’t think there are any with hookups. Might be nice to take a break in though.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Question ... we are going from Blanchard, Idaho (Stone Ridge RV) to the UP of Michigan next September. We are planning one night stop in Bozeman and one night in Glendive, MT, then two nights in Jamestown, ND to "regroup" before continuing on toward the UP. We don't want to do more than 350-400 miles per day. Does this like a decent plan?
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM   #10

DebbieMH, I am not familiar with ID41, but it looks pretty doable when I zoom in on AppleMaps. We no longer travel over 300 miles per day (250-300 is our range), but if you are comfortable with that, cool. We traveled across ND on the 2 (parallel to I94 on your route). Looks to be similar to ID41. I have to say that when we traveled through ND, it was the week of the Yellow (or white) butterfly hatch in the fields, and the fields extend as far as the eye can see. At the end of the travel day our coach looked like a float in the Tournament of Roses Parade! Hopefully you won’t have the same experience. Travel safely.
HavingABlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Can't offer advice on the CG but wanted to say hello! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 10:25 AM   #12

Missoula

I live in Helena and like the area but we don’t have much in terms of RV parks. I have stayed in Missoula at Jim and Mary’s just outside of town. It is quiet and very pretty. They are proud of their flowers and plants. Flathead Lake is an hour drive, GNP is two hours. Missoula is a vibrant University town with pretty good dining and shopping options.

Have fun!
GScott423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #13

There is a KOA in Billings - largest "city". The KOA is somewhat secluded - but Billings has all the shopping and restaurants you need. Montana Club is especially good on the westend and downtown has a great assortment of small restaurants. Seva, Stacked, Wild Ginger are my favorites.
kportra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:24 AM   #14

My DW and SIL require shopping when we travel and we stayed at Spruce Park in Evergreen which is beside Kalispell and near Bigfork, Columbia Falls, Whitefish and Glacier NP. More info in blogpost - Big Dude's Eclectic Ramblings: 2013 Western Trip – Kalispell Finally - Spruce Park
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
montana