Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Looking for nice place in north Georgia or Western North Carolina

I want to take my kids to see the full solar eclipse in August. The direct full line runs from Nantahala Lake, NC, through Andrews and Franklin into Dillard, GA and Tiger, GA. I'm having trouble finding a nice spot to set up for a few days to see the eclipse. Can anyone give me some recommendations? Attached is a cool video showing the direct line of the eclipse: https://vimeo.com/73595112 From around 5:20 to 5:35 in the video are the areas within driving distance for me. Anyone know of some good campsites in this area that would be a good home base for a few days? Somewhere with a decent trout stram or two wouldn't be frowned upon, either. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Mayberry32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2017, 09:48 PM   #2

Foretravel Owners Club
We are planning on getting a spot somewhere near Madras, OR... In addition to the fairgrounds are looking at several wheat farmers & cattle ranchers that are prepping fields/pastures for dry camping..... "Should" be clear skies in eastern Oregon
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

There is a campground just south of Tiger at Tallulah Gorge you may want to check on. It's got a lot of tree cover, but for the short time you will be watching the eclipse you could leave the campground and hang out at the Gorge itself.
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:25 AM   #4

There is a KOA between Andrews and Murphy that looks ok from the road. there is also a nice open campground just west of Murphy with concrete pads called Rivers Edge.
Old 02-24-2017, 08:57 PM   #5

Try River Vista Mountain Village in Dillard Ga. We stayed there a few years back and it was a good place to base your RV and enjoy the area. It's on hwy 246, just east of hwy 441.
kenkann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 10:13 PM   #6

If planning to park in a CG, make reservations NOW! RV parks/CG's are mostly reserved now in the midwest, as it's the last total eclipse in the U.S.A. until 2024.
You may wish to just park at a truckstop or WalMart, even an interstate rest area in the direct path of the eclipse because totality only lasts 2:40 minutes, then you're gone 30 minutes later.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:21 AM   #7

Great Outdoors RV Resort in Franklin is nice
Big Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:42 AM   #8

try black rock mountain state park (if you are not to long). as suggested river vista in Dillard. river falls at the gorge. those would be a few i would try.

patrick

also, ask to park walmart in Clayton.

looking at the path Cherokee KOA. there is a nice campground deep creek about 2 miles north of bryson city. enota campground next to brasstown bald. moccasin creek campground north of clarksville...these are all nice
pjciii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 05:52 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Staying at home to see :)

As mentioned, River Vista Mountain Village in Dillard Ga and Great Outdoors RV Resort in Franklin are both VERY nice locations and I would highly recommend either one!

We are lucky enough to live in Franklin and will be leaning up against the RV to see it.
Mike & Karen. 2012 Holiday Rambler Vacationer 34 SBD, Toad is a 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara, Copperhead Pearl . Blue Ox base plate with Roadmaster Nighthawk towbar with RVibrake2 Auxiliary Braking System and EEZTIRE TPMS. CHF, rear track bar and Safe T Steer. FMCA Member.
SmokyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:35 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Not sure if this is in the area or not but I often hang out in Seneca, SC, this is just east of Georgia a few miles (17) n or I-85

A nice little county park, Electric and water with dump station.
It's not on a stream but the lake hosts a fishing competition every year (man made lake, belongs to Duke Energy but the park which also belongs to Duke, is operated by the county parks and Rec)

South Cove Park is open year around, High falls is not.

High Falls & South Cove County Parks
Old 02-25-2017, 06:38 AM   #11

Franklin has a city RV PARK in downtown, opens April1
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 05:37 PM   #12

Ditto River Vista in Dillard GA. Have stayed there a couple of times. Nice place.
Old 02-27-2017, 09:05 PM   #13

Most of the parks near the path of the eclipse are full already.

A friend was checking Mt Pisgah Campground on the Blue Ridge Parkway (well north of the path) and it was full for that weekend.

We checked a couple of others in the area and they were booked up also. I would say that anything 75 to 100 miles either side of the center line of the path of the eclipse are already booked full. You might get lucky, but its going to take a lot of checking.

Charles
Old 02-27-2017, 09:18 PM   #14

Myself and a friend have campsites reserved at Lake Hartwell State Park in SC. Just off of I-85 at the state line. We made reservations last October. They may be booked up by now but you can check. It is just slightly off of the centerline of the eclipse. We may have to go up the road a mile to the north to be perfect. Not very far from you.

Tags
ace