Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #15

There's also a county park in Simi valley, right off the 118 - Oak Creek I think. the 118 is the best flowing freeway in LA, go right to the 5 and down the 5 to hollywood.
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #16

A couple of years ago we flew into LAX and rented a 32' Class C....drove through LA, Santa Monica and out to the Malibu RV Park. We still laugh about the rude people, the a la carte pricing for everything and the overall arrogance of the place. People aside...the Park is very, very expensive, the sites are very, very small, the facilities are almost non-existent and it is NOT on the beach....But...there is a great fresh seafood shop you can walk to....the halibut is to die for!

A couple of years later we drove up to LA from out home in Mexico to pick-up our current MH, which we bought from a guy in Carson City (LA). By the time the shop finished installing our toad hardware it was 4pm on Friday. I had driven a 32' fifth wheel 10yrs earlier, but never a Class A, let alone with a tow vehicle. Regardless, we drove through rush hour LA traffic to Dockweiller RV Park at LAX or Manhattan Beach if you prefer.

Dockweiller is really the only RV Park actually in LA. It is a State run Park and, while expensive, is a fraction of the cost of Malibu....it is nothing special, BUT it is on the Beach!...mind you it also has 747's taking-off, taxing & landing every 30 seconds.

If you want the convenience of being in LA...on the beach...and non stop airplane viewing...you can't beat Dockweiller.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 01:00 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
We tend generally to not use the facilities of the park other than spas. We generally like to go for long walks in the mornings, breakfast and then we're out of there sight seeking. Back for dinner if we haven't eaten out.
That said we prefer nice surroundings. There's been a few places with good reviews we've driven in and straight out of ( and we generally book ahead)
Bit embarrassing really but if it looks like s..t feels like s..t it probably is
I remember a camp ground in Arkansas ( we always go to Catherine's Landing) where the review s were good - we' d driven all day then our gps took us the wrong way down narrow winding streets to get there ( didn't see the sign from the main road) we drove in and our jaws dropped.
I was on the phone to Catherine's Landing before we had turned out of that park. It was 20 miles away and 5pm but we weren't staying in a depressing looking campground.
Re Malibu - we are not the sort of people to interact much with the staff - and we certainly are not as polite as Americans - generally if an Aussie is treated poorly they will come back pretty hard - call a spade a spade
I won't try and nose in or park the coach across the site. I won't have loud music or 3 dogs instead of the maximum 2
We will have just spent 6 days at Las Vegas motorhome Resort so should be pretty chilled.
If the reviews are correct I will have no hesitation in showing the staff just what the rest of population think of them - it 'll make my day
Old 11-09-2012, 08:01 AM   #18

Hey Steve....here's a photo of what your +$100 p/ night gets you in Malibu. Hard to say many good things about this place, but at the end if the day if you want to be in Malibu & on the coast....what the heck. There is also a very nice hike up the valley which you can access from the Park & don't forget the little seafood shop & restaurant (busy place as people form all over the area come to buy seafood & eat here).

BTW there is a State Park just down the road in case they take exception to your politeness!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-346771589.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	28930  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:35 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Ok I don't know what came over me

I'll burn $20 and go to Anaheim RV resort.
It looks like 2 of our kids 19 &20 will join us over Easter so Disneyland is a good spot to be and only an hour from LA
Old 11-09-2012, 03:07 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I really like Anaheim RV Village Home. I've been here 4 months now. 7/10 of mile walk to Disney. Too old for Disney but I do enjoy watching the fireworks.

This is Orange County so 20 to 25 miles to LA.

It's one of the few that I found that was more than a blacktop parking lot, grass and concrete here. Sites are long enough for my class A and Truck. Not as wide as some but I have the awnings out on both sides with out issues. Very convenient to I 5 and CA 91. I'm paying $1300.00 per month. I you choose this location make your reservations online, they are cheaper that way.

The other one I like is Golden Shores (Downtown Long Beach) Welcome - Golden Shore RV Resort. Expensive but nice area, close to restaurants and shops. THe sites are small, difficult to put a 40' MH and vehicle in the same site.

Golden Shores books up solid and hard to get reservations on short notice. THe last time I looked their monthly rate was $1700.00, so quite a bit more than Anaheim. Sorry monthly is the only comparison I have.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 05:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSkinner
Ok I don't know what came over me

I'll burn $20 and go to Anaheim RV resort.
It looks like 2 of our kids 19 &20 will join us over Easter so Disneyland is a good spot to be and only an hour from LA
Hey Steve....you're getting far more action on this post than the OP, since you take the time to reply! Anyway, I am sure Anaheim will be great for you and your kids, but the "other" option your family might enjoy is being right on Manhattan Beach ....right in LA. Attached is a picture of Dockweiller (you can visit their website for prices & more info),

If you stay at Dockweiller you can walk/bike for miles along the beach .....stop and visit the shops & restaurants at Hermosa or Redondo beach(s)... 30 min. from the Santa Monica pier & beach....45 min. from Disneyland & the other theme parks....you are actually "in" LA if that is important to you & your kids....& you might even get run-over by Lindsay Lohan at the Saffire Club!

*** I have no affiliation with Dockweiller RV Park and as you can see from the photo it is really a paved parking lot...but you can't beat it's location!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2932522942.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	28949  
Old 11-09-2012, 08:00 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Great

My original intention for this 8 week trip was to drive up as far as far as Seattle
I have since come to my senses and just going as far north as San Fran then hit the national parks back to Lewisville
So we'll do this then San Diego then back for 2 days in LA as you suggest then on to San Fran
Thank you both fir the advice.