RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2018, 12:00 PM   #1

Looking for quiet Smoky mountain rv park

We are going to be traveling from Asheville NC where we are staying a few nights, into the Smoky Mountains. We had planned to stay at Smoky Bear campground due to the great reviews.....however now we are thinking maybe we should look for a park in a more rural part of the park.

We are definitely more small town type people and really have no interest in the touristy things. We may go into Pigeon Forge just to see, but that is definitely not where we want to focus our time.

Is there an area that is convenient to the park but avoids the crazy parts? I have started to do some research but am pretty much clueless as to where the best place is to stay to appreciate the wilderness part of the area - north? south? east? or stay in NC on the western side? I have been searching threads and see that Townsend is sometimes a recommendation?

Also - any input on the best route from the Asheville area into GSMP?

2002 F250 Diesel
irene67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2018, 12:41 PM   #2

I have been looking at Franklin NC - any thoughts on that area to access GSMP?

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 02-12-2018, 02:55 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi,
When you leave the area where are you headed to? The coming from and heading to destinations can make a difference where you stay.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I spent some time here a few years ago. I would recommend it . Canít vouch for the new owners as it changed hands since I was there.

http://gorvresort.com/

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi,
When you leave the area where are you headed to? The coming from and heading to destinations can make a difference where you stay.
We are coming from Asheville area and going to Nashville.

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM   #6

Big meadow campground in Townsend TN, also see there web page for directions to get there.

Mile from park , not far from pigeon forge if you want to go there, I have never made it there myself, find other ways to entertainment myself without the crowds.
ransil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #7

Maggie Valley NC

near enough to Asheville
near enough to the 'Mountains'

right at the base of the start of the 'fun' part of I40 west towards Tennessee...

if you're that close, you ain't too far!
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 05:10 PM   #8

Limiting exposure to Pigeon Forge is a good plan. The place looks like an expanded Wally World.

The national park camps are nice if you can get a site.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:35 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Try Pine Mountain RV park. Red light 6 in Pigeon Forge. Off main drag about 4 blocks.
Nice,clean and quiet.
rick5963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:41 PM   #10

We always stay at Big Bear rv park in Bryson City NC.It's quiet good location, and is a no frills type park.The town of Bryson is also nice.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Hi irene67,
Based on all you have said (good input) and following your instructions I recommend you consider:
Anchor Downs at New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US
or
Two Rivers Landing at Two Rivers Landing RV Resort in Sevierville, Tennessee

I recommend this for several reasons:
1. Coming and going you will be taking I40. Both these CGs are close to I40.
2. Anchor Downs is on a large lake with a man made beach. One can rent all kinds of water craft. There is a marina up the road that rents pontoon boats.
3. Anchor Downs is family oriented. Two Rivers is smaller (quieter) and more adult oriented. Both CGs are very neat and clean.
4. These CGs keep you from hauling the Grand Design through the traffic of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge.
5. Both are a few miles farther away from the shows and GSMNP than other CGs, but you mentioned this was not the priority.
6. Anchor Downs is on the side of a hill overlooking the lake. Consider calling and asking about the wheelchair on a hill. The sites are level, many with a stone fireplace. Two Rivers is flat.
7. If interested, Two Rivers is next to the largest knife store in the world (I think).

All that being said, one could also consider River Plantation at http://www.riverplantationrv.com/
It is closer to the "action". Walmart is 1/2 mile away. Restaurants are plentiful. It is easy to get out when departing. It is a very large family orientated CG. There is a Lazy River and pool.

I spend 6 months a year in Sevierville. Welcome and create happy memories on this trip.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #12

There are only a few rv campgrounds actually in the park, but there are bunches just outside the park. On the north side, Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge and Sevierville are by far the busiest area. On the south side, Cherokee and Maggie Valley area are more laid back. Bryson City is also a quiet laid back area. As far as Franklin is concerned, it is about 45 minutes from the south entrance to the park. If you want to spend some time there, we have heard that The Great Outdoors Resort is very nice, but have never stayed there.

We live in Asheville, and camp on both sides of the park several times each year. How busy things are depends on the time of year. Remember that the GSMNP is one of the most visited NP's in the country. We like the Cherokee KOA on the south side and River Plantation in Sevierville on the north side. Anchor Down is a beautiful rv park and well worth going to at least one time. It is quite expensive and very busy in warm weather, so if you go there, book well in advance.

Hope that helps some.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi irene67,
Based on all you have said (good input) and following your instructions I recommend you consider:
Anchor Downs at New RV Resort, Breathtaking Views, Fireplaces, BathHouse, STAY WITH US
or
Two Rivers Landing at Two Rivers Landing RV Resort in Sevierville, Tennessee

I recommend this for several reasons:
1. Coming and going you will be taking I40. Both these CGs are close to I40.
2. Anchor Downs is on a large lake with a man made beach. One can rent all kinds of water craft. There is a marina up the road that rents pontoon boats.
3. Anchor Downs is family oriented. Two Rivers is smaller (quieter) and more adult oriented. Both CGs are very neat and clean.
4. These CGs keep you from hauling the Grand Design through the traffic of Sevierville and Pigeon Forge.
5. Both are a few miles farther away from the shows and GSMNP than other CGs, but you mentioned this was not the priority.
6. Anchor Downs is on the side of a hill overlooking the lake. Consider calling and asking about the wheelchair on a hill. The sites are level, many with a stone fireplace. Two Rivers is flat.
7. If interested, Two Rivers is next to the largest knife store in the world (I think).

All that being said, one could also consider River Plantation at River Plantation RV Resort Sevierville Pigeon Forge
It is closer to the "action". Walmart is 1/2 mile away. Restaurants are plentiful. It is easy to get out when departing. It is a very large family orientated CG. There is a Lazy River and pool.

I spend 6 months a year in Sevierville. Welcome and create happy memories on this trip.

Thank you so much!!! Great information!

2002 F250 Diesel
Old 02-14-2018, 11:39 AM   #14
vwd

Townsend will be 30 miles and 45 minutes out of your way, but much quieter with far less crowds. It is close to the Cade’s Cove portion of the park as well as the remainder of the park. Big Meadow is the place to go for pull through spots, but it is kind of open. There are several smaller campgrounds with back in spots that are heavily wooded if you are going to be there during the summer. Several ice local type restaurants.

vwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quiet