Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for "time share" campground suggestions

Thousand Trails...Coast 2 Coast...and I'm sure there are plenty more. As we are just going full time (yes....we made it) what are the best values for for these types of groups. All info is appreciated.

vectra400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2010, 06:48 PM   #2
Fleetwood Owners Club
Personal opinion from Seajay...... You would have to run real fast to give me one of those ''time share'' things. If you want one go to e bay and buy one for a discount. In fact a friend of mine offered to give me a Thousand Trails deal if I would pay the maint. fees and the transfer fee. NO dice ....... they dont fit my kind of ''camping'' and I have put over 110,000 on my coach since 2000.
Research before you buy and get a Philadelphia Lawyer to read the contract before you sign it. These things are real easy to get into but really tough to get out of................. Good Luck ...

Seajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:40 AM   #3
Newmar Owners Club
Hi vectra400,
What kind of timeshare are you interested in? There are those like mentioned in your OP. There are also those with fewer restrictions (one can stay longer) but also no affiliations (or few affiliations) with properties around the country. There are also organizations where one receives a significant discount off the retail rate. All of them have their benefits and drawbacks.

What kind of RVing will you be doing for the next 5 years? Follow the sun and stay put for months at a time (snow bird RVing)? Traveling most of the time staying no more than one month in the same place?

The bottom line and most important point is will you use it? The CGs must be located where you will want to be.

Please let us know.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
With any of these programs like TT, C2C, ect make sure there is an "out" clause where you can cancel your membership when you want. Also watch out for the yearly dues they can be expensive and go up. After a lot of investigation I bought a C2C home park membership on Ebay for around $39 with $39 yearly dues and I got a written "out clause" that I can cancel after the first year. I have had it for several years and although I do not use it a lot I always get my years dues back, each night is $10. The seller's name is Dan at 352-242-4461. He will answer all your questions and is very helpful.
buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 AM   #5
My $0.02 worth. We bought into a membership with AOR (Western Horizons second tier program) and RPI in 2004. We paid a total of $3k. Yearly dues have been about $180 total. Figuring the actual cost of camping vs. paying $25/night for comparable commercial campgrounds, we have more than recovered our investment. Good thing, as our membership has no value now (can't sell it). Knowing what we know now, we would still do it because we feel we got good value for our money, with one reservation. Most of the parks in the membership programs are past their prime. With their economic model, constant sales are required to make it work. In this economy, needed repairs and improvements are not getting done. On the average, most membership parks we have stayed in lately would score only in the 4-6 range on the Trailer Life scale. We are spending more time with monthly site rentals now and are considering quitting our memberships.

My advice fwiw: Research carefully before buying into anything. Be sure you are satisfied with the facilities you will be getting access to. Don't rely on pictures because they only show the most favorable view or were taken 20 years ago. Don't buy into a new plan sold directly by the company if you can possibly get a resale for less. You can try out Thousand Trails for $500 a year now I believe. That might give you an adequate taste for what is available. Buy Passport America for $50 a year. That will give you some good deals including access to some of the membership parks. I have a hard time believing that folks are still paying $5-10k for memberships these days and upwards of $400/yr dues, but I still see sales people working the prospects. If anyone has bought such, no offense, I wish you well, and hope you get value for your investment to your satisfaction.
'09 Pleasure Way Lexor, Chevrolet Express 3500 chassis, 6.0L V8
Last RV, 2005 NRV Dolphin 5342 (2007-2014)
two2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Although it is not something I would buy, I know a few people who have Resorts of Distinction memberships and are happy with them.
Wayne & Roberta and Maggie the Miracle Dog
08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis
Making the Journey in our Destination

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:21 PM   #7
Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club

All I can say after buying into a time share is DON'T.
We paid over 3k for ours and pay $395 a year "Maint. Fee".
They promised to buy into more parks that we could go too, after 5 years none have been. We still only have 9 places to go.
The WiFi is very bad in the last 4 parks we have been to, the parks need Maint. We can't get out, thank heavens we only have two more payments, but we will continue to pay the "Maint. Fee" yearly.
Someone is getting very rich with promises.
Don't pray for a blessing--Pray to be a blessing.
2006 Holiday Rambler Endavor 40 footer
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Here is a link to RV Online. They have a section of RV timeshares for sale.

Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote