Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #1

Looking for West or North Phoenix Area in March

We prefer the more non commercial but with good power and water. Probably only for 2 week stay so we won't be able to take advantage of the monthly rates. Looking at north of Phoenix area, definitely plan to visit Sedona area and go to the Brewers spring training in Maryvale park, westside of Phoenix. Thanks twogypsies for the info on the county parks, but I can't seem to find any availability??

KRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2014, 05:35 PM   #2

Since the Maricopa County parks seem to be filled for you, have you tried Lost Dutchman State Park in Apache Junction. March is prime flower time there and the park is abaze in color. We've volunteered there.

For visiting Sedona, try for a reservation at Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood - very nice. It's another favorite of ours. It's a short drive into Sedona and you'd be close to Jerome, the Verde River Railroad trip, a day trip to Prescott. Have breakfast at the Coffee Pot just south of Sedona on the west side of the highway. Lots of great choices!

twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 11:14 PM   #3

Reservation website problem resolved

It seems my laptop and the reservation site for Maricopa County weren't connecting. Thanks for the info, it is so helpful when all I have to go on is the online glamor pictures and info.
Old 10-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

Reservations made

I was able to find sites at both Dead Horse State Park Site 11 and Cave Creek site 29. So excited about the prospect of exploring around Sedona!! Then off to Cave Creek for closer access to the Brewers spring training AND exploring. Many thanks to twogypsies for your help
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54 PM   #5

Site 29 at Cave Creek is one of our preferred sites. I don't recall what #11 at Lost Dutchman is but you can't go wrong with their sites and views! Have a good trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Looking for West or North Phoenix Area in March

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRose View Post
I was able to find sites at both Dead Horse State Park Site 11 and Cave Creek site 29. So excited about the prospect of exploring around Sedona!! Then off to Cave Creek for closer access to the Brewers spring training AND exploring. Many thanks to twogypsies for your help

We live in the NW Phoenix valley. None of what you are discussing so far can be considered as being in that area. There are many old parks in that part of the valley, that are mostly run down mobile home parks now. They would be very poor choices and when I make recommendations to friends visiting I never consider any of those. They are dirt parking lots with no shade in dangerous neighborhoods.

Probably the best choice for a decent park would be in El Mirage, about 10-15 minutes from the stadium. There is Pueblo El Mirage Park, or Sunflower Campground. Very typical and clean RV parks. Next best will be in Surprise, about a 30 to 45 minute drive. Prices are a bit higher there.

The suggestion to stay in Apache Junction is the most undesirable of all options suggested so far in my opinion, requiring more than an hour long drive, right through the worst traffic imaginable, and crossing the entire width of the valley. Often the drive can approach two hours in peak traffic.

While Sedona makes an outstanding day trip, it hardly will serve to make regular trips to the stadium either. It's two hours and involves 6% grades. I'm actually writing this from Lo Lo Mai resort, which is about 8 miles from Sedona, where we are staying for the fall break from school.

I highly recommend this park as a get away if you want full hook ups, as well as Dead Horse Ranch Park if you don't need hookups, but certainly not as a location to access the stadium from.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote