Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2010, 05:16 PM   #1

Los Angeles

Are there any safe and decent campgrounds in or near Los Angeles?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2010, 07:11 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
We camped at the Malibu RV Resort in April and it was great but pricing. You were right across from the ocean on the PCH.

In July, we stayed in Van Nuys. It was basically a mobile home park with some open spaces for traveling RV's. Looked very dumpy on the outside and the neighborhood was a little seedy, but inside you felt very safe and the people were very friendly.

RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:15 AM   #3

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

There is an RV park in Valencia...stayed there a few years ago. It is about 5-6 miles from Magic Mtn. It is a large park, but seemed to be safe and secure.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

When passing through the area we always stay at East Shore RV Resort in San Dimas... near Pamona.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 05:56 PM   #5

Went to the one in Valencia about 5 yrs ago for a rally. Good sized. Well stocked store and big party room with large refers and stoves.
"I won't be wronged I won't be insulted I won't be layed a hand on. I don't do these things to other people. And I require the same from them." (John Bernard Books) John Wayne The Shootist his last Movie.
CorsairIIAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #6

There is one in Van Nuys, Birmingham, that's decent. Also, in Northridge is Walnut RV park, either is accessible from the 101 or the 118. It's small but nice and amazingly quiet. I think there is also a KOA at the Pomona fairgrounds. That's about the closest you are going to get. Valencia is pretty far out.
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:42 PM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Dockwieller State Beach in Playa Del Rey, right next to LAX. No grass or trees, all blacktop, but very close to L.A. I've never had any problems, patrolled by LAPD or Sheriffs Dept.
J
Old 10-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #8

Several State Parks along Pacific Coast Highway (Hwy 1) between Santa Monica and Ventura.
Fishinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 03:20 AM   #9

Spent 2 days after Labor Day at Canyon RV Park. Was in site 96 and there was two other RV in the whole loop. Nice and quiet for being so close to a freeway.
Old 10-15-2010, 10:59 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' View Post
There is an RV park in Valencia...stayed there a few years ago. It is about 5-6 miles from Magic Mtn. It is a large park, but seemed to be safe and secure.
Don't go to Pyramid Lake RV Resort. (Valencia) Stayed one night, scary tenants in on-site cabins, all dirt and thorns, no green grass for the dogs. When it got dark there were cockroaches everywhere. The thing that really pi**ed me off was the septic hook up was cemented closed unbeknownst to me. When I hooked up the sewer line it was too close to the water tap to thread on so I put a nearby rock on top of the connector and pulled the gate valve. The connector took off like a space shuttle launching into orbit. arrgghhhh! My first Robbin Williams moment. I later found the working sewer connection buried in the weeds next to it....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sewer2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	6126  

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:09 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Not sure how close you need to be to Los Angeles, proper. In addition to those already mentioned, there are locations right on the Pacific Ocean above Ventura, CA. Most are dry camping, but there is a small park that has hookups also.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanabee FTer View Post
Don't go to Pyramid Lake RV Resort. (Valencia) Stayed one night, scary tenants in on-site cabins, all dirt and thorns, no green grass for the dogs. When it got dark there were cockroaches everywhere. The thing that really pi**ed me off was the septic hook up was cemented closed unbeknownst to me. When I hooked up the sewer line it was too close to the water tap to thread on so I put a nearby rock on top of the connector and pulled the gate valve. The connector took off like a space shuttle launching into orbit. arrgghhhh! My first Robbin Williams moment. I later found the working sewer connection buried in the weeds next to it....
The park to stay at is Valencia Travel Village, nice. Phone number is 661-257-3333.
J
Old 10-17-2010, 06:18 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWINGER2 View Post
The park to stay at is Valencia Travel Village, nice. Phone number is 661-257-3333.
J
Yep. I overnighted there and did like it. Also stayed at Pyrimid Lake one night. Didn't find it quite as bad as described but it was pretty bad. The site they put us in had a concrete pad but was tight. Pulling into it my 40'DP crushed the entire corner of the pad.

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #14

I'm planning a trip to Anaheim to visit Disneyland and not sure which is the best RV Resort close to the park. I'm looking at the following to sites - Anaheim Resort RV Park and Anaheim RV Village. Has anyone stayed at these parks and any feedback will be greatly appreciated. I'm a newbie with my RV and being this will be our first long trip, I don't want to be too dissapointed with our first adventure. Any additional tips and pointers will be GREATLY appreciated. As soon as I can, I will post pics of our new RV!!!