Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2014, 10:08 PM   #1

Los Angeles area campgrounds

My best friend is using my DP to take his wife for neurology testing in West Hollywood from Texas(she can't fly and can't sit for long periods of time). Does anyone know of a campground close by? Any helpful advice to RV'ing in LA? Can RV'rs still spend the night at Wal-Mart's in California?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2014, 10:27 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
You won't find many Walmarts in California where you can stay overnight.

Your best place to stay while having medical treatments is just north of Los Angeles called Valencia Travel Village near Santa Clarita CA.

Valencia Travel Village | Valencia Travel Village is an RV Resort

I was a resident there for many years while working in the film industry in Hollywood.

Whenever I am back in the area, I always book into that place.

Trust me you won't be disappointed. Plus it is an easy commute into West Hollywood. I used to commute to Hollywood ever day.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 05-13-2014, 10:32 PM   #3

2nd Valencia… I live there and commute to work in hollywood.. Takes me 30 minutes
Old 05-14-2014, 02:42 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would be looking at Long Beach - a nice campground in an average area.
Best would be Newport Beach - expensive or Malibu Beach about $80/ night. Very nice area with so r great beaches just 5 miles north
There seems to be no decent campgrounds around LA - from my experience.
Old 05-14-2014, 06:02 AM   #5

If you or your friend are a member of the Moose, the Moose lodge at Simi Valley has a small area in the back with hookups. I parked a 36 ft fifth wheel there with no problems.
halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 06:33 AM   #6

Moose lodge is a real thing? I thought it was just made up for tv.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 AM   #7

We're not members, but that's good advice.
Old 06-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #8

I like California RV Resort in Acton. My family lives in Toluca Lake. This is a very clean and will maintain RV Resort
Old 06-06-2014, 05:58 PM   #9

Consider contacting the medical facility itself. I recently had major surgery at Loma Linda University in So Cal and am under the impression they allow RV parking for the family of patients.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:59 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I never knew that hospitals had RV hookups at their parking lots?

What a great idea!

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-06-2014, 07:18 PM   #11

Closest RV park looks like Dockweiler State Beach. I admit we've never been there. It looks like a parking lot with hook-ups but way closer than Santa Clarita, or Acton or even Simi Valley. My mom is having heart surgery at Cedars-Sinai in a couple weeks and that will probably be our choice, just from a location perspective. We really like Golden Shores in Long Beach but from a daily drive perspective doesn't look as feasible traffic wise.
ChileRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:19 PM   #12

Be sure to check the length limitations if you are interested in Dockweiler! California's state parks are awfully expensive too.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:01 AM   #13

And it's summer in SoCal - good luck on getting that beach spot past mid-week. It's hard to beat the place in Santa Clarita/Valencia for access to west hollywood as well as amenities, orange groves and fruit stands nearby, and shopping just across the way in valencia. Straight down the 5. I think the place in Acton is a membership resort. There's a KOA a little closer to Santa Clarita off the 14 in the canyon. There's also a county park (oak something or other) at the north end of Simi Valley, past the Reagan Library. Pretty straight shot on the 118 to the 5 to hollywood.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:25 AM   #14

As to hospitals and campgrounds. I don't know LA but I do know hospitals have RV places, or at least some larger hospitals do. Last June , My husband had surgery at UC Davis hospital in Sacramento. The doctor staff faxed a referral to the Kiwanis House on "Campus" of the hospital which gave us entry/ priority in their full hook up area behind the house, which was walking distance to main hospital. Many larger hospitals have both Ronald McDonald House for families of children and Kiwanis House for families of adults. I had my Leisure Travel parked there the 8 days he was hospitalized. They had bus transportation to hospital during day and their hospital police transported me after dark so I was not walking alone. I would call ahead and check as the Doctor/clinic should be able to help. UCD Kiwanis house had about 8 or 10 full hookup spots with room for at least a 40 ft rig and toad. They were back in spots but plenty of room. Turned out i was the only one there all week but i heard that often it was busy. Best luck to your friends
Velda

RVSolomons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground