Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Maiden Voyage in New Coach NY to NC (5 October 2013)

Would like to have a safe trip from Buffalo, NY (where we will pick up our new coach) back home to Fayetteville NC.

Looking for the best route that will allow this first time drivers to get home safe and sound with the family.

Have planned for up to 5 days for the trip.

Will be towing a 20 foot aluminum flatbed trailer carrying our SUV.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Curt

Curtisgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtisgeiger View Post
Would like to have a safe trip from Buffalo, NY (where we will pick up our new coach) back home to Fayetteville NC. Looking for the best route that will allow this first time drivers to get home safe and sound with the family. Have planned for up to 5 days for the trip. Will be towing a 20 foot aluminum flatbed trailer carrying our SUV. Thanks for any suggestions. Curt
If you have the time, there is a great little campground at Mt Airy, NC that my wife and I love. It's called Mayberry Campground and it's always clean and well kept. If you have the time it makes a great overnight stop then spent the next day exploring Mt Airy (Mayberry). Be sure to have a pork chop sandwich at Snappy Lunch. From there you are home the next day.

We're wishing you success on your maiden voyage.

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:55 AM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Curt,

Make sure you plan to stay local to Buffalo for at least a night so you can fully check out all the systems while you have the previous owner close by to ask questions.

One place to stop on way back is Lechworth State Park in the Finger Lake region of NY. The colors should be close to peak by early October.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 AM   #4
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Curt,
You don't mention what route you would like to take home but if you use 'google maps' it shows using I 90 picking up I 79 South to I 77 South.

If you should want to get over to I 81 South, just a word of caution -
Google will show using Lincoln Hwy (US 30) from Breezewood, PA over to Chambersburg, PA which merges you on I-81 South -- don't use that part of US 30 - it has steep grades and is not recommended for trucks (this is noted in the book "Mountain Directory East). Stay on the Interstates even if it means a few more miles.

Best of Luck with your new coach and safe travels....
Old 09-23-2013, 08:34 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Curt,
You don't mention what route you would like to take home but if you use 'google maps' it shows using I 90 picking up I 79 South to I 77 South.

If you should want to get over to I 81 South, just a word of caution -
Google will show using Lincoln Hwy (US 30) from Breezewood, PA over to Chambersburg, PA which merges you on I-81 South -- don't use that part of US 30 - it has steep grades and is not recommended for trucks (this is noted in the book "Mountain Directory East). Stay on the Interstates even if it means a few more miles.

Best of Luck with your new coach and safe travels....
Thanks.

I would like to keep the route as flat as possible. Is there a website or an app that will help me select the best (flat, wide interstate hwy) route for my Coach?

Curt
Old 09-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #6
2LT

Triple E Owners Club
Curt,
Left you a PM --
Old 09-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #7

Hi Curt,

I don't know if you and the misses are wine drinkers but there a couple of wineries on the trip back south of Buffalo that I would like to recommend.
If you take I-90 south and get off the interstate at the Fredonia-Dunkirk or Westfield, NY exits and go to US 20 then make the drive to Ripley, NY or North East, PA (yes it's the town name) there are several along the way. There are no low bridges on US 20 as I have driven this many times in my life and my dad was a trucker so there are years of experience with this. In Westfield there is Johnson Estate Winery just after the town and about half way to Ripley there is Schloss-Doepken (spelling). You can easily get back on I-90 in either Ripley or continue on to North East and check out the scenery. If you get off in Fredonia you'll drive through my home town of Brocton and the oldest steel girder arches east of the Mississippi. If you need more info hit me up off-line and I will be more than happy to help. I'll be up that way this weekend for a Bills game so if you need me to check a route for you let me know. Have a safe trip and enjoy the new coach.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #8

Curt,

I'm very used to the drive from Buffalo to Charlotte, so I can help you with Fayetteville also. The most convenient and most mountainous route is I-90 to Erie, I-79 to Gassaway WV, US 19 to Beckley, I-77 to I-40. However, as I said it is mountainous and may be a bit much for a first timer.

A better, and at least flatter route, is I-90 to I-271 in Cleveland to I-77 South to I-40. It is longer around for you, but I think it would be a better route because of flatter terrain than I-79 and US 19 has quite a few lights and some wicked speed traps.

Another option may be I-90 East to I-390 to I-86 to US 15 all the way down into Virginia and then I-95 south. More traffic on 95, but flatter for the most part and relatively scenic.

Ed
Old 09-23-2013, 01:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Curt,

I'm very used to the drive from Buffalo to Charlotte, so I can help you with Fayetteville also. The most convenient and most mountainous route is I-90 to Erie, I-79 to Gassaway WV, US 19 to Beckley, I-77 to I-40. However, as I said it is mountainous and may be a bit much for a first timer.

A better, and at least flatter route, is I-90 to I-271 in Cleveland to I-77 South to I-40. It is longer around for you, but I think it would be a better route because of flatter terrain than I-79 and US 19 has quite a few lights and some wicked speed traps.

Another option may be I-90 East to I-390 to I-86 to US 15 all the way down into Virginia and then I-95 south. More traffic on 95, but flatter for the most part and relatively scenic.

Ed
I'll 2nd this. I-271 has a couple of interesting hills but nothing like I-79 down from Erie towards Wheeling. This time of year it's not too bad of a drive as Ed put it. Plus the leaves should be changing and you'll get an eyeful of mother nature at her finest.
Whatnobeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
Curt, I'm very used to the drive from Buffalo to Charlotte, so I can help you with Fayetteville also. The most convenient and most mountainous route is I-90 to Erie, I-79 to Gassaway WV, US 19 to Beckley, I-77 to I-40. However, as I said it is mountainous and may be a bit much for a first timer. A better, and at least flatter route, is I-90 to I-271 in Cleveland to I-77 South to I-40. It is longer around for you, but I think it would be a better route because of flatter terrain than I-79 and US 19 has quite a few lights and some wicked speed traps. Another option may be I-90 East to I-390 to I-86 to US 15 all the way down into Virginia and then I-95 south. More traffic on 95, but flatter for the most part and relatively scenic. Ed
Thanks for sharing Ed.

I am sure one of these routes will work for us.

Curt
Old 09-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatnobeer View Post
Hi Curt, I don't know if you and the misses are wine drinkers but there a couple of wineries on the trip back south of Buffalo that I would like to recommend. If you take I-90 south and get off the interstate at the Fredonia-Dunkirk or Westfield, NY exits and go to US 20 then make the drive to Ripley, NY or North East, PA (yes it's the town name) there are several along the way. There are no low bridges on US 20 as I have driven this many times in my life and my dad was a trucker so there are years of experience with this. In Westfield there is Johnson Estate Winery just after the town and about half way to Ripley there is Schloss-Doepken (spelling). You can easily get back on I-90 in either Ripley or continue on to North East and check out the scenery. If you get off in Fredonia you'll drive through my home town of Brocton and the oldest steel girder arches east of the Mississippi. If you need more info hit me up off-line and I will be more than happy to help. I'll be up that way this weekend for a Bills game so if you need me to check a route for you let me know. Have a safe trip and enjoy the new coach.
Thanks much for the route information -- really helps.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LT View Post
Curt, Left you a PM --
Thanks for providing me some options and resources.