Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maiden voyage with our new Class C this weekend

Heading to Westport Beach RV Park & Campground this weekend for our maiden RV voyage. This will give us a better feel for our 2 week excursion to Southern California and Arizona.

Should be interesting and fun. Everyone is excited.

Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Our iRV2 Gallery & Family Photo's link
rdrv831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
Good Luck! and Happy Camping! Hope you don't have any problems.

Good Sam Life Members
Served in U.S.A.F.
macantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
The fun has just begun. Much enjoyment ahead. Good luck

ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #4

Isn't the first trip in a new motorhome a thrill?? Good luck with your outing. Happy Trails!!
Tony & Ruth........... FMCA#F416727
Newmar Dutch Star 4320, Spartan MM Chassis, Cat C9, Jeep Grand Cherokee,with Hemi, hooked up with a Blue Ox Aventa LX, and Brake Buddy.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:54 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maiden RV voyage complete

We had our maiden voyage this last week. All in all it was a good shakedown trip in preparation for our 2 week trip
3 days Anaheim for Disneyland -> 4 days in Surprise Arizona to visit relatives -> 3 days Malibu beach Ė > 3 days near Yosemite
We learned a few things this trip
- Wife was using the sink like at home and filled the grey tank quickly- had to dump it twice
- 4 year old toddler got a kick out of flushing the toilet Ė had to dump the black mid trip
- wife and kids get car sick on windy roads so on the way back I found a route that wasnít so windy even though it added a little more distance
- I got about 7.5 to 8 MPG, better on the way back. The windy up and down hill roads took a toll
It was a good trip. 13 year old daughter got sick on the second day so she was a pain but we survived. The camp site was ok. They stated they had free wifi on their web site but it was only free for 4 hrs a day and at a horrible 50kbs speed. Not really wifi more like 1990 dialup. We also didnít have ATT signal at all so the teenagers had a little fit not being able to connect with friends. If the camp site had been honest about the wifi I would have made other arrangements.
I had loaded a number of movies onto my HP slate to stream to my Roku via Plex so we had entertainment at night. Temp was nice, did get a little sun burned and need to remember even if itís overcast to put on sunblock.
what I learned:
- Need stabilizing jacks otherwise the teens will keep us up all night. Ordered them on Amazon and plan on installing them before we head to Disneyland
- Need to just plug in the sewer hose and leave it so i donít have to clean it every time I dump grey
- we needed a large area rug to keep the sand out. Bought it on our way back from the trip for next time
We had a nice time. The Kids had fun playing in the sand and exploring.
The next trip will be much longer about 2k miles. Hopefully the in-laws have a garage circuit I can use for the AC. Might consider bringing a few parts just in case and install a 30amp circuit. Itís going to be 108-110 while we are there uggg.

I posted pictures of our last trip if anyone is interested.

Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Old 07-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #6
Overall sounds like you had a great time. I'm glad to hear it. A few adjustments that you are now aware of for your long journey. Good luck and be safe. Would some dramamine (not so sure of the spelling) be a thought to help with car sickness?
Rudy & Jenny
2014 Thor Four Winds 35SK, Super C
CRV, F-150 and Wrangler Toads
rskrbina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 09:25 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Someone suggested a band from Walgreens for motion sickness

Ray and Maria
Lincoln CA
Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 PM   #8
Lucky kids...

My rule... the kids can play on their "electronics" while traveling, but when the RV gets plugged in.. they get turned off..

Sounds like you had a great maiden voyage..
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:37 PM   #9
Sounds like it was a successful first outing! You & your family will learn how to manage the water issues and not have to dump as often. Remember that you do need a lot of water in the black tank so everything will drain out when you dump so a few extra flushes is probably a good thing.

To help with the grey water, I sometimes use a dish pan in the sink and dump that water down the toilet rather than down the sink. It adds a little detergent to the black along with extra water.

Kids need to unplug anyway so don't sweat the lack of internet service. Maybe pack a few board games?

You're making memories for your kids that will last a life time!

Karen & Gary
Glamping is not for the faint of heart!
with furkids Gypsy & Cody &
traveling in a 2011 Ventana 3433!
KarenS144 is online now   Reply With Quote

class c, voyage