Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2015, 09:01 AM   #1

Maine, early September, Bar Harbor etc

Giving serious thought to a trip to Maine, starting this Labor Day weekend. I have been there before, however it is 20 plus years ago.

We don't tow a toad, we do bring our Motorcycle. Good weather that time of year?

If we come up the coast of Maine, any good stop overs along the way to the eventual stop in Bar Harbor?

Traveling with a 40' MH towing a trailer behind, 57' overall. Do we need reservations after the holiday weekend? It would seem with the kids back to school we may not?

L.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2015, 02:52 PM   #2

Problem may not be reservations required , but finding a park that's still open, went through in 2010 in the third week of Sept. and a lot of parks had started to board up for the winter, any we found open had room , but most had started their shut down, pools drained , laundry closed, on site stores shut down, and no off season rate.
EDIT: Aside from having to dodge 2 hurricanes , weather was fine , but we were 10 days or so early for the full " Fall Colors" change.
Old 07-29-2015, 03:06 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I'd wait 'til next year. By September Ramets will have eaten all the lobster!

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 03:53 PM   #4

We were at Acadia NP last September. Weather was good , cool days, pretty cool evenings. You will need gloves and good jacket on the motorcycle. Hiking was excellent. We stayed an Narrows Too campground until the third week in Sept. The CG closes Oct 1st I believe.
We followed fall colors down through Mass, PA, WV, etc. it was a great trip for us and will do it again in a couple of years.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:36 PM   #5

I'd wait 'til next year. By September Ramets will have eaten all the lobster!

I don't know Ramets, and I think you are exaggerating results of his visit. I am however hearing prices are expected to climb 25% in the wake of his visit. But I can get a lobster this year.

Selah, thanks was looking for someone who has been there done that.

L.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:31 AM   #6

I'd try to arrive after Labor Day. There's a huge migration leaving the area at that time. Then after the holiday things really quiet down. It's a pleasure to travel around without having to fight all the traffic. Should be great biking. Didn't bring ours up this year, but in years past it was fine. Wow! Only a 25% increase, I'd of thought it would be more. I'd recommend you find a place that cooks lobsters to go. You should be able to find them for $6-$7lb. We will get maybe 6 or 7, eat a few for dinner & pick the meat of others for a huge lobster salad the next day. Oh my gosh, I just talked myself into going out later today and getting some more.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #7

We have done a mid to late Sept visit in the past and it has been great, you always take a chance with the weather but that is true anytime. We usually start at the bottom and work our way up, Kittery, Wells, York and then end up in Bar Harbor at the KOA. Never had trouble finding a spot but they are definitely winding down. We are heading out there on the 16th for about 10 days maybe we will see you out there.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #8

Hello, we will be there (staying at the KOA) the day after Labor day. So the 8th to the 16th, then we head down to Portland until the 19th.

Can't wait to cycle and kayak.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:35 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
We were just there in Mid-June this year without a toad. Be sure to get the 2 lobster plus two sides dinner delivered to your campsite. Stayed at Bar Harbor Campground. Weather can't be much different in early September. The Island Explorer (free shuttle) operates until October 12, should you need to venture out without your bike. It stops at all the campgrounds on the island.
MJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 12:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJoyce View Post
We were just there in Mid-June this year without a toad. Be sure to get the 2 lobster plus two sides dinner delivered to your campsite. Stayed at Bar Harbor Campground. Weather can't be much different in early September. The Island Explorer (free shuttle) operates until October 12, should you need to venture out without your bike. It stops at all the campgrounds on the island.
Thanks for the information. We also have our toad if we need to get around but the shuttle might be fun. No Lobster for us, vegetarians here !
It will be our first visit and really looking forward to it.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:22 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank God for vegetarians......more lobsta!
Be sure to visit Camden, a quaint beautiful inlet village.
mccsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #12

Then there are those of us who do not eat lobstah but are heading that way anyway. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:03 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Just left Bar Harbor Oceanside KOA today after being there a week. It certainly crowded I'd you tried to go into Bar Harbor or park at key sites inside Acadia. We fought the parking issues but next time will try the free Island Explorer bus system. We had some great hikes and enjoyed the lobstah. Unfortunately DW not yet retired and is a teacher do September not an option for us.
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:53 PM   #14

We are heading to Oceanside KOA on September 19 after a couple of days down in Wells, we will stay there about four or five days then heading over to the White Mountains in NH. We love that KOA and of course what's not to love about Bar Harbor, and of course after Labor Day the crowds disappear.
HWH Active Air Suspension 2014 Wrangler
DRL1950 is offline   Reply With Quote