Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2013, 06:48 PM   #1

Maine trip info please

Hi all,
going to the north east and eventually maine this spring/summer.
Going to be in the NE from late may to september ?

What time of year is lobster eating season ?
When are the mosquitos/flys miserable ?

I was thinking of going early before the kids get out of school in the hope of
getting into arcadia national park campground (no reservation)...is that good thinking ?

thanks for your imput

1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 130,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
2003 Artic Fox 31W 2,10lb. rat terriers and "the cat"
Back to fulltime in 2014..YEA!!!
daydreamer36535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Smile

I was in Bangor in late Sept. and early Oct of 2011 and it was great. I was told (I certainly did not know) that this was the peak Lob. season. They certainly were priced right. Yum Yum. Take you a big pot to cook your own because you can spend a lot of money buying lobster in the Restaurants. They start closing down Oct. 15th. so get your trip over by that time or you will be hard pressed to find camping after Oct. 15th.
Enjoy...it is beautiful.

Old 12-20-2013, 07:12 PM   #3

If you stay near the shore you should not have big issues with bugs.

While in ME, I encourage you to see THE REAL MAINE.

This means yes do see Bar Harbor, Acadia NP and such, but the real Maine begins after Bar Harbor. Bah Hawbah is pretty much a place to pay too much for foreign made T-shirts.

After BH, every road to the right leads to the shore or a cove. You will find villages with restaurants that have better and cheaper food than the tourist spots.
In mid August the wild blueberries are full, and 10 to 13 a quart in BH, but as little as $3 a quart in Whiting and other towns further along. And the lobster is much cheaper farther "Downeast" also.
And the farther you go, the more down-home it gets. Eastport is awesome.

Check it out here:
http://davenola.blogspot.com/search?...date=false&m=1

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2013, 12:58 PM   #4

Lived in New England all my life so I hope my commets will be helpful. Late May and early June is "Black Fly Season" tiny biting insects. Then in July/August the mosquitos can be prolific especially during the evening. Don't miss the small but lovely NH coastline and also Massachusetts has some great beaches and quaint villages like Rockport and then Gloucester. Cape Cod books up early and the two lane roads onto the cape area are clogged with traffic. We love Boston so if you like cities that would be a good one as the city has so many historic sites for kids to see like the "Freedom Trail".

Lobster are available all year! You can go into any large grocery store and find them in the fresh fish area in a big tank, live. Most stores will gladly steam them for you FREE! They take about 10-15 minutes to steam. Most delicious this way. Lots easier than the big pot! If you know how to crack them great if not ask the clerk for directions. A nut cracker will be helpful. In restaurants they run up to 3 times more expensive, but they are ready to eat (or may be served in their shell). Ask your server.

Enjoy New England!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #5

Daydreamer,

You don't say where you are from, but if you are not ready for seriously tight traffic, you might even rent a small car for Boston. But, I am not saying you should miss the Freedom Trail. You can miss Cape Cod, if you must, plan to drive out to Provincetown and back the same day.

Bugs can be a bear. Be ready. No-Seeums are a particular problem, but they can all be managed with preparation.

Theburkes are real right about lobster. There is a season, but it relates to taking by sex (not in all states) and you will not notice. I prefer slip joint pliers like "Chanel Lock) to nut crackers. be ready to take your time, some of the best meat is in the little pieces like legs and tailflippers.

I miss the East Coast, but the job was here in the flat land.

Matt
Old 12-23-2013, 10:58 AM   #6

Rexhall Owners Group
While camped in Maine look for the local farmers markets. They are plentiful, and you will find the freshest produce and seafood there. The most delicious meal that I have ever had was lobster, just brought in from the traps that morning, bought from a lobsterman at a farmers market, and steamed by friends in seaweed and wet burlap, over an applewood campfire.
Bob
Bobb.25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #7

, bought from a lobsterman at a farmers market, and steamed by friends in seaweed and wet burlap, over an applewood campfire...

you're killing me Bob...can't wait
1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 130,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
2003 Artic Fox 31W 2,10lb. rat terriers and "the cat"
Back to fulltime in 2014..YEA!!!
daydreamer36535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
We spent a week in Bar Harbor last summer in the middle of July. Before we left, I was concerned we would have to deal with crowds, but somehow no matter where we went, it was okay. Cadillac Mountain is a must... Whale watching is a must too. If you swim in the ocean, you WILL freeze! We bought lobsters at a local IGA and paid $3.99 lb. needless to say... We ate a LOT of "lobsta"! Mosquitos were brutal after dark. A great destination... Enjoy!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 06:23 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Don't miss Camden Me a beautiful little town on a bay!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:38 PM   #10

We're heading this way right after Labor Day, so this is GREAT advice! Thank you all so much! Looking forward to grabbing some FRESH blueberries and LOBSTAH!

Still trying to figure out how far north/east we want to go with a 40' towing a jeep. Any input would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
My DW would smack me if I didn't mention her grandfather's clam shack in Shapleigh, ME:

Welcome to Ted?s Fried Clams and Rock House Ice Cream.

Lobstah rolls, friend clams, yum, yum, yum...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:48 PM   #12

When you are full of lobster, I recommend the whale watching trip out of Bar Harbor. Besides a lot of whales, some very close to the boat, we saw puffins, dolphins and seals. Dress warm even though the day is warm.

There are buses to the main town and tourist traps from the camp grounds around Bar Harbor so you don't have to drive at all.
Old 01-19-2014, 06:06 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Judge View Post
When you are full of lobster, I recommend the whale watching trip out of Bar Harbor. Besides a lot of whales, some very close to the boat, we saw puffins, dolphins and seals. Dress warm even though the day is warm.
The day we went on a whale watch it was a beautiful warm day. However the boat is a high speed jet boat and at 30+ mph it was quite chilly during the ride there and back. The whales were amazing!

Also, there is an awesome restaurant in Ellsworth. Union River Lobster Pot. Nice atmosphere and staff... I had the best 3 lb. lobster (ever) with fixins (steamers, mussels, corn on the co) and it was only $32. Needless to say the lobster bisque was to die for!

StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote