Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2015, 05:12 AM   #1

Making a break for it..

I'm in northeast CT and will FINALLY be heading out tomorrow (Tue) early AM for the southeast. If not then I fear I will trapped here too long in this single digit weather. By the way I am a full timer.
I think it's important to go as direct south as soon and quick as I can at this point, hoping to make the south of SC by Thursday for a full hookup and to finally get my water system up and running.
Will cross the Hudson up at the Newburg Bridge, then point the coach as much south as I can. Need to beat this Alberta Clipper that is due to arrive later in the afternoon.
Suggestions welcome.
tacking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2015, 08:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
We had the best luck going down 287 to 80, then taking 81 to Harrisburg. Out of Harrisburg, I take 81 to Winchester VA and pick up 50 then 17 south to Fredricksburg VA and pick up 95 there. This bypasses all the problem areas, is a nice scenic drive and there's plenty of places to stop for a breather. It will take you longer, but the stress factor is way lower. It sounds like you're doing a lot of westing, but the compass was mostly SW and S almost the entire route.
jplante4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM   #3

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
South in a rush... 287 and pick up the NJ Tnpk/95 south. You wind up on the Tnpk at exit 10, at that point you are 4 to 4.5 hours to DC. If you can help it be on 287 before 7am or after 9:30 am.

Dan Callahan
2008 Fleetwood Excursion 40E
Freightliner, Cummins, Allison
It's not the Destination or the Journey
It's the Excursion
DebnDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 08:56 AM   #4

FYI...I'm in coastal NC and weather here is to be in teens Wed and Thurs nights. Winterized my C yesterday. Don't know how far south the freeze is expected, but at least to Charleston, SC.
goldwingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:10 AM   #5

Good luck to you. By the way, what's a full-timer doing in CT at this time of year? You're supposed to be following the mild weather.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 11:43 AM   #6

First I vote for JPlante4's suggested route. I do it all the time. But I also have the same question as Twogypsies. What are you doing still in CT and where did you stay. I've tried to camp in CT (its where I was born), but I could not find anything worth the prices they were charging nor with 50 amp service.
D in Davie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:55 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Aces High in East Lyme is open all year.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #8

Thanks all,
First, I'm in CT on family property. Only 20 amps but not issues as long as I am careful how much is on at once.
My plane was to leave a month ago but my mom fell ill and I needed to help out. All is well now.
I am tempted to go as due south as possible, the NJT sounds good, as that storm is coming from the NW. Just need to miss that and stay in the warmest temps I can.

This is my very first trip as I am a newbe. Excited. Will have my track/road Mini cooper in tow.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:35 PM   #9

N. Fl will be 24 Thurs am, you are late!
Old 01-05-2015, 05:58 PM   #10

If the weather is a major concern just stay put for several days and let things calm down is my two cents worth.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
We live near Newburgh. When we head to Hilton Head or Wilmington, which we do several times a year, we take jplante4's route. A little longer, but less chances of getting stuck in a parking lot on the turnpike. The most direct route is DebnDans, but again you have to hit it right. If you leave pre-daylight, the latter can be the best route. If you start off after daylight, 81 is the best route.

The forecast is for a "dissipating" Alberta Clipper to come through mid day tomorrow. That means the moisture is going to get mostly rung out by the time the system gets here. Northern Jersey may get an inch, and up near Newburgh will get a dusting to an inch. Leave real early and not too much to worry about. If you absolutely hate driving with flakes coming down, stay an extra day, the next several will be dry.

No matter what you do, to be safe, de winterizing may have to wait a few days...

Safe trip!
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #12

OK, .. Thanks Steve. Yes, this is what I am hoping as far as the weather. I will take that route I believe.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:31 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Safe travels. Check back in when you get to the warm Wx.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #14

Well, it was an adventure.
I'm sitting here on this rainy day in Hunting Island State Park in SC. Getting here was tiring, being here is a wonderful thing. With my Mini in tow I left on the 6th, hoping to beat any kind of weather, but that luck ran out when I hit the NY-CT border. That's when the snow started coming down.

Semi heavy, but so clod it just blew around and the road was not so bad. By the time I was in PA I was in slush, though not so bad that I stopped the trip. It was slow, and white knuckled for most of that day. Wind played a roll also. This, all being my first drive of any long distance in my new to me 38 footer.
Obviously both my coach and my toad were a mess.
Stopped south of Harrisburg PA at a Wallyworld. The land of eternal daylight. uggg.

Second day I was on my way early, after some wallyworld shopping. This was not a fun day. Still in the very cold with snow flurries here and there, but the worst was the wind. More white knuckle driving. At a stop I decided to check my tire pressures due to the deep cold. All looked good but I had a few valves that were troublesome in making a seal and had to spend some nerve racking time making them behave. I worried about possible ice build up in them. Was so dam cold.

Obviously I did not get one of the valves sealed. That was fun! Not.
Front driver's side. Handled it OK, but it sure was a hard lesson learned. Was able to pull way over off the highway. Called Good Sam's. Fingers crossed.... and yes, purchasing their services way more then paid off for this one. I was fixed and off in just over an hour, no charge. I had a new spare, ... oh yea, all these tires are BRAND NEW, so this kinda sucked.
Stayed in a wallyworld again that night.

Third day. I had decided that I would divert my trip so to have a shorter drive. I'm really in no hurry. Just need to learn this. It was a great day. No wind, lots of warm feeling sun, and finally a destination chosen that I was excited about. Hunting Island State Park. Arrive about 3pm. Grin from ear to ear, .. chilly but I LOVE this place.