Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Mammoth Cave

I am looking to head to Mammoth Cave mid October, any good RV sites in the area?

Mark TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Theres at least 6 different CG that i'm aware of, maybe even more by now. It;s been a few years since we been down there! Have fun and make suew you got a few hats to take along!

Doug & Darlene Morgan RVM96 & Abby Gabby(pooch)
04 Dolphin 6375 LX W-24 Chassis #434136
"The Journey is our Destination"Hickory,NC
Dmorgan6375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
Originally Posted by Mark TC View Post
I am looking to head to Mammoth Cave mid October, any good RV sites in the area?
While visiting my son in Hot Springs S.D., I checked on a nice KOA located just a few miles from the Mammoth site. It has 30 & 50 amp service, but ask for a shaded spot. A few of them are open to the summer sun.

27585 Hwy. 79
Hot Springs S.D.

ask for John Adler
lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #4
We stayed at the National Park right before the Visitors Center , no hook ups but nice park in the trees.
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Cave Country. My review / my photos.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:47 AM   #6
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
We were there in June. We stayed 4 nights at Nolin Lake State Park and 4 at the Mammoth Cave campground next to the Visitor Center. Nolin Lake SP. was rebuilt a few years ago new electric, pads, tables, buildings....All the electric sites are level and huge...Only about 10-15 minutes north of the caves.

Pics from that trip Mammoth
Jim, Diane & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2013 Aerolite Hybrid #232 ES
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Freightliner Owners Club
Lass - OP needs sites in KY which is Mammoth Cave, not the Mammoth Site which is in SD (but both places are very cool).

We stayed in Nolin Lake, Moutardier location. Great big sites very close to the water. A bit of a drive to the caves but you have full hook ups. There are a few different tours in the caves as they are so vast. Plan on going a few days. While in the area, also hit the Corvette museum and assembly plant in Bowling Green, KY.
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #8

I live near here and have spent a lot of time in the area. The best, full-hookup campground near Mammoth Cave is definitely Cave Country. It's right in Cave City and behind the Cracker Barrel. It's not a RESORT campground as they don't have a pool or playground, but if those two amenities are not important it's the best place to go. There is also a Jellystone which I highly DO NOT recommend and Singing Hills. Singing Hills is an older campground and is probably ok. It's a Passport America campground. There is also a KOA in Horse Cave if KOAs are your thing. The campground at Mammoth Cave as stated earlier is pretty nice, but it is all primitive.

If you're wanting to do some canoeing, go see:

Mammoth Cave Canoe and Kayak

Tell Becky and Larry I sent you. Also, their son runs a really nice zip line attraction. For some good Mexican food, check out El Mazatlan.
Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 07:01 PM   #9
+1 for Cave Country RV . . .left there yesterday. Park is in very good condition and was made very welcome!

'99 Allegro Bus '05 Honda CRV
Red James is offline   Reply With Quote