Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2009, 11:56 AM   #15

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Yes, that was a time ago when we still were tent camping. The Mammoth Cave National Park campground is close, but they don't have electric service. And have pay showers....

IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Besides what PanJH said about shoes, also, no purses, backpacks, camera bags (you can take a camera, just not the bag to put it in) or fanny packs allowed in the Cave either.

Lori-

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #17

Everyone has been very helpful, Thank you all for your responses. I think that Cave Country CG would be the best fit for us for our one short night.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Sounds like if you go to Jellystone you'll never make it to the cave

Once we were supposed to go to the Spencer shop train museum in Spencer, NC, and we stayed at Dan Nicholas park in Salisbury, NC. The kids had so much to do there that we never did make it to Spencer shop!

We went through Mammoth with our son who was 5 at the time, he enjoyed it, though I can't remember exactly which tour we went on.

Have fun at Mammoth!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:04 PM   #19

Luv2go,,, you need to go back and get him through the train shop. I took my grandson there (salisbury, NC) and he was thrilled. Lots of walking but well worth it. The even had "Thomas" on display.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #20

Freightliner Owners Club
Tom,

You gotta get your grandson on the Trog Tour which is only open to 8-12 year old kids. There are two guides on the trip and they gear the kids up with a helmet and a head lamp. Let the boy do some REAL caving while you take the walking tour.

Description: This tour offers an off-trail adventure for children ages 8–12. Begin with a short hike through the forest down to the Historic Entrance of Mammoth Cave and see how the surface and subsurface are connected. Put on your hard hat and headlamp as you travel off-trail and learn how early visitors ventured through the cave as well as how cavers safely explore today. Unlock the secrets of how the animals of Mammoth Cave survive in this dark underground world. Children will get a first hand experience of “discovering” a new world as they hike, crawl and belly slide through rarely visited sections of Mammoth Cave.

My son did the tour a few years ago and still talks about it. Make your reservations online and early as only 12 kids go on each tour and there is only one per day.
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
That ( Trog tour) is like the kids version of the adult's Wild Cave Tour. When we go back I'll do the Wild Cave Tour again. We were there about 16 years ago and spent a whole week doing a tour every day. Back then it was Ticket Master who ran the reservation for the tour tickets. I remember some days some of the tours were sold out so we would buy tickets a few days out to go on the tour we wanted......I think we went in the off season like April, so the summer can be a whole new animal.......I would check ahead to reserve a spot on the tours you want.........
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:43 AM   #22

Singing Hills CG

If your only staying one or two nights, I'd recommend Singing Hills RV Park in Cave City. Small CG but very nice, clean, pool, fish pond and about two miles from Mammoth Cave. Stayed here little over a year ago and would stay again if in the area.

2004 Damon Intruder
DANEL-KSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 07:02 AM   #23

I second Singing Hills. Just stayed there two nights ago. Very quiet and clean. PPA park fior $15 a night, $16 for 50 amp.

OldChief7155 is offline   Reply With Quote