Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2009, 09:32 AM   #1

Mammouth Cave Kentucky

We will be traveling there in mid June with our 9 yr old grandson. We want to stop and see the cave with him. I've gone through many of the listing for campgrounds in the area, but wanted to get opinions from those of you who have been there. Can anyone suggest a good place to spend a night, or two with a 9 year old? We have a 32' class A and will not be towing anything.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I also looked and looked and it seems like Elizabethtown Crossroads campgound is about the best in the area. Not a lot of choices unless you can find something in a state park. In Bowling Green I have heard that Beech Bend Family campground is nice.

mark

06 HR Endeavor 40 PET
Sixpack98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 09:21 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
We were at Mammoth Cave last summer. The CG that seemed to be popular with families was Jellystone Park Camp Resort. We didn't stay there, but did drive through. There were a lot of activities for kids; however, the sites looked like they could take work getting level. Overall, though, it seemed ideal for those with kids.

Now, we stayed at Cave Country RV Campground. We liked it because it was much quieter than Jellystone, but since it doesn't have a pool or playground, it might be boring for your grandson. You can check out my review of it in the Campgrounds section here.

Both of these campgrounds are within 10 mi of the Cave. The new visitor's center was under construction last summer. A multi-million dollar project that looked like it will be really nice. Hopefully, it'll be done for your time there.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 10:26 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Years ago we stayed at the state park for 7 nights. I remember how nice it was to just walk over to the vistor center for each days tours. We did just about every tour. I even did one called the "Wild Cave Tour" where you had to be a size 40 suit size or smaller. You went into sections of the cave with only a hardhat light. (6 mile tour) There were only 8-10 per group. We did a lot of time on our knees and back crawling thru small holes and cracks.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 03:54 PM   #5

Thank you all for your answers. We will only be staying one night and moving out the next day after touring the cave and visitor center. Cave Country sounds like it might just fit the bill. We will be arriving around dinner time, so the lack of a pool is not a big deal for us.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:20 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Just a little FYI. When we were there years ago, you had to pre-pay for your tour tickets. I remember Ticket Master ran the tour ticket sales. We spent a whole week there. The most popular tours sold out early. I'm not sure if it is run that way now. Lori (NLOVNIT) should know since she was there last year.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yes, you do have to pre-pay for the cave tours (unless you happen to walk up to the ticket counter & the tour you want is still available that day) & Jim is right, the most popular (i.e. easier ones that are shorter & not as strenuous) sell out a day or two in advance. Best to call ahead (877)444-6777 to be sure you get the tour(s) of your choice.

Also, some of the tours overlap (see the same areas) so talk to the reservations person if you want to go on more than one, so you don't end up duplicating seeing sections of the cave.

Jim, You were braver than me. I read the description of that Wild Cave Tour & I figured one had to be nuts to go on that! Luckily Dave didn't make the size cutoff so I had an out. We did the New Entrance Tour & the Grand Avenue Tour (did the longer one the 1st day so the 2nd day would be a piece of cake!).

Lori-
Old 04-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
The Wild Cave tour was different. It was 6 hours. At one point we were on our backs about 300 feet with only 15" - 18" of clearance. In another section we were in this little room (size of a bathroom), and there were 3 openings to get out. The guide said " One of the holes has a surprise. So we guys in the group being the gentlemen we were said "Ladies first". Well the first girl climbed in, after about 30 seconds we heard her scream... (wrong choice). Here, there was a drop off with a 2 foot deep pool of water. So we knew what hole NOT to go in.....Remember almost the whole tour was in sections that were not lite. Each person had a hard hat and a light on their hat. That was it....
Old 04-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #9

Thanks for the information on the tour tickets. My wife and I were there several years ago a couple of times. I seem to remember a shorter tour that went through the historical entrance and was not very strenuous. I also think there was an area through the historical entrance allowing "self guided" tours of a sort. Not too deep into the cave, but free to roam as we desired.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Yeah, there is a go at your own pace self-tour..it's called the Mammoth Cave Discovery Tour. The Frozen Niagra tour is the shortest, distance-wise at 1/4 mile & is a very easy tour.

Lori-
Old 04-28-2009, 04:41 PM   #11

Lori, thanks again for your informative replies. Maybe we will give the Frozen Niagra tour a try this time. I don't think I've been in that area of the cave before. Time will not be our friend on this trip as we have to do the cave and get a few miles under us that same day.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:58 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Years ago we stayed at the state park for 7 nights. I remember how nice it was to just walk over to the vistor center for each days tours.
The Mammoth Cave National Park campground is a very nice camping area, but it's not good for most large class A's. My dh and I drove through there this past Dec. to see if we could fit and came away with the conclusion that there were very few sites where we could fit; and even if we could fit, the turns in the campground road would make it very tight indeed...maybe even impossible. We have a 37 1/2 ft. class A. Oh, another thing is that I don't think they have any hookups at all. That might be fine for some but not for others. If we had a tent, PU, or trailer, I don't think we'd think twice about staying there as it really is very nice, IMO.

~Lori
Doula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 AM   #13

tom and barb, as lori said cave country rv campground is a great place to stay. easy off and on 65, nice pull through sites. there is also one of the best mexican restuarants my wife and i ever ate at. jim
beaverjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:19 AM   #14

Jelly Stone has a petting zoo, water slide, hayrides for the kids,etc. Agree with the others, get your cave tour tickets in advance or you may not be going -- saw some very dissapponted folks there that were not able to get on the tours. Also, have closed toe shoes -- I saw some folks being turned back due to wearing flip flops