Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Marathon Key

Patty and I are looking to spend a week at Marathon Key the first week of January. We will take the week off of Christmas too.

Any recommendations for Marathon, and stops along the way from Indianapolis. I was thinking South Carolina, Georgia, east or west coast of Florida?

Thanks to all you seasoned(that does not mean old) RV'ers in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We liked Jolly Roger RV park on Marathon Key. As for CG's along the way, will you be traveling I-75 or I-95.

If I-75 I'm guessing would you want north or south Georgia.

North Ga. I would stay around Chattanooga, We like Raccoon Mtn. CG or Trav-L-Park

South we stay some at Eagles Roost CG at exit 5 And Ga. Veterans SP at Cordele
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
95 if we start out in Savannah, 75 if we want the west coast of Florida. Our options are wide open. I'm thinking that the west side of Florida will be less crowded?
We will take our time sightseeing on the way down. And high tail it back in two days.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:28 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tom and Patty,
The I75/West side of Florida is not less busy. 11.4 million RVs come to Florida every winter. At least 1/2 and maybe more settle around the I75 and I4 corridors. Either way you go there will be plenty of snow birds.

In the Keys, check out Sunshine Key at mile marker 39. It is just South of Marathon and the 7 mile bridge. Go to Sunshine Key RV Resort and Marina Reservations | Big Pine Key Campgrounds and read about it.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stop by THE VILLAGES for lunch. A hoot to see "Mayberry RFD" in its pristine glory...not to mention the customized golf carts at the downtown area. Then do NASA Kennedy Space Center. Then if you enjoy great architecture and killer gardens, visit Vizcaya just outside Miami.
or: '08 Buick Lucerne
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:16 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Prices!!! Talk about sticker shock.

Well it will be warm.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Any recommendations for Marathon, and stops along the way from Indianapolis. I was thinking South Carolina, Georgia, east or west coast of Florida?
South Carolina would be a little out of your way.
From Indy I65 S-I24 E- I75 S- At I75 FL exit 101 take St Rd 951 S-US41 E- St Rd 997 S to end- US 1 S to Marathon

Get your Marathon reservations in now if you can even find one for that time period.
Good Luck
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 02:05 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Yahoo to rrountree
Hidden state park near Marathon

Just before Marathon, off the Overseas Highway at Mile Marker 56, is a small, little-known state park that added a campground only in recent years.

The sites at Curry Hammock State Park are relatively new, and about half of them are on the beach. I've camped there a couple of times and LOVED it!

You can kayak right off the beach, and there are a couple of decent paddle trails through and around the islands there.

Very close to Marathon.

Be aware, though, that you should have reservations to get into this park, but if they are full on the dates you want, don't give up. Snowbirds shuffle and cancel reservations frequently as they firm up holes and overlaps in their itineraries.
rrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 05:53 AM   #9

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom and Patty View Post
Prices!!! Talk about sticker shock.

Well it will be warm.

Thanks for the help.
Everything in the Keys is expensive ,I grew up in Key West in the 70's .

Great place to visit,but take your wallet with you.

Wayne
Tallyrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to rrountree Send a message via Yahoo to rrountree
Another thought about camping in Marathon... if you are active-military, retired military, DoD employee or 100% DAV, there is a very small campground at the Marathon Coast Guard Station -- 4 RV pads and 4 cabins. here's a link... Marathon Cottages and RV Park
rrountree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We did not like Sunshine Key and would not recommend staying there. We stayed with others and they would not recommend it either. Check park reviews at various web sites.
2015 GMC Seirra
Iron Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Thumbs down Marathon Military RV Park

Regarding the comment made earlier -----"Another thought about camping in Marathon... if you are active-military, retired military, DoD employee or 100% DAV, there is a very small campground at the Marathon Coast Guard Station -- 4 RV pads and 4 cabins. here's a link... Marathon Cottages and RV Park"

We stayed at this RV park our first year of RVing and it was our WORST EXPERIENCE of our 4 years of RVing. (And we've rarely had bad experiences). You talk into a speaker when checking in and then wait for someone to appear after they open the gate. Almost everyone there is RUDE and you're not allowed to walk anywhere except right by your trailer. A coastguardsman actually put his hand on his pistol as I approached him to ask a question and we are retired military so we know the drill. (what to do and what not to do). They make it clear that they don't really want you there every moment that you are there. It was an awful experience for us and we would never stay there again.

CathyJ1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:51 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Just curious...what is in Marathon Key?
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:50 AM   #14

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Is there anywhere in the keys that allows boondocking?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote