Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-05-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Meal Planning

Heading out for a few weeks with the family of six. My wife and I have never planned meals for cooking in an RV. Any suggestions, recipes, tips, or anything????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-05-2014, 01:13 PM   #2

We always keep it simple.
It is no different than at home. But simpler meals work well. And with a Weber grill and a Coleman stove, even the campfire, most cooking happens outdoors, and the kids help.

We dont plan meals far ahead, as weather and activities/outings can change what meals will work best. It is nifty going into a grocery and asking yourself what you desire or what fits with what is happening.

Enjoy!

http://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #3

Your freezer is probably pretty small, so anything you are going to put in there should be as flat as possible. When we are traveling I cook up chili and spaghetti sauce and freeze in bags (flat). Keep the basics in your pantry, cans of mushroom soup, tomatoes, tomato sauce, rice, beans, instant potatoes, vegetables, pasta, peanut butter, cereal, powdered drinks (easier than lugging around soda bottles or cans). Wal Mart's brand (many flavors) is sugar free
missourijan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 02:03 PM   #4

I prepare some of my meals or parts of our meals in advance in the S&B. Such as meat sauce, homemade soups, prepared salads, cheese sauce for homemade mac and cheese. We have also taken along a smoked ham and cooked it over the fire...which always turns out awesome. Then I take a couple cans of green beans and diced potatoes along and make ham and green beans with the leftover meat. All you have to do is be creative...the more you camp the more creative you will become. I have friends that cooks most everything over the fire including pineapple upside down cake of which was delicious. Everyone thinks she is wonderful including me....

I always carry foil throwaway pans with me both for cooking and for serving. Also a tray or one of those small baskets are great for shuffling things from inside to outside and back again.

Kim
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:32 PM   #5

One of the big helpers we've found is to make up 'kits' consisting of everything but the perishables required to make a meal. Then there's a few favourite semi-prepared meals like Zatarains Jambalaya (add almost any meat, ground chuck, ham, etc.) that can be bought locally to complete the meal.

The bottom line for us is to have a good selection of options with minimal requirements for sourcing ingredients locally. However, on the other hand there's only so much you can pack with you.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
We always over pack! and then after we get where we are going.......off to Walmart for more......I always have all the meats in the freezer all the time, filet mignon, Hamburg, Hamburg patties, hot dogs, Stuffed pork chops, beef roast...etc. and replace as used.
The DW is a vegetarian....so the meat is up to me for myself. She takes care of everything else.
She also likes to go and explore and eat out.......
Old 01-05-2014, 06:18 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse89 View Post
We always over pack! and then after we get where we are going.......off to Walmart for more......I always have all the meats in the freezer all the time, filet mignon, Hamburg, Hamburg patties, hot dogs, Stuffed pork chops, beef roast...etc. and replace as used.
The DW is a vegetarian....so the meat is up to me for myself. She takes care of everything else.
She also likes to go and explore and eat out.......
Same here, I always ask the DW why do we load 100 pounds of food in the coach before we leave? and then unload 80 pounds when we get back from a 3 week trip. She just pats me on the head, smiles, changes the TV channel, and I forget about it!!
Old 01-05-2014, 06:23 PM   #8

Do you tow a vehicle behind your class C? Are you staying in the same campground the whole time or will you be moving (and grocery shopping) some? We typically do cereal for breakfast, left overs for lunch and a big meal for dinner. Do you have a crock pot? They are awesome for being able to come home to a cooked meal.
rjf7g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 07:24 PM   #9

I cook exactly the same on the RV as I did at home and your kids may turn up their noses at new or different meals than they are used to. So I wouldn't change or do anything different, if you are used to dining on macaroni n cheese with hotdogs bring that. If you prefer lobster and filet mignon than bring that. No matter what you bring it will probably taste better because you will be having more fun and eating in a "cooler" place.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by nforus View Post
Same here, I always ask the DW why do we load 100 pounds of food in the coach before we leave? and then unload 80 pounds when we get back from a 3 week trip. She just pats me on the head, smiles, changes the TV channel, and I forget about it!!
No different than the amount of clothes and shoes we take....it's called contingency planning. My rule is that I would rather have more than less when it comes to feeding my family and friends.
Car Dolly: Mini Cooper Clubman
vanbuskirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:32 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMPrince View Post
Heading out for a few weeks with the family of six. My wife and I have never planned meals for cooking in an RV. Any suggestions
Locate the nearest KFC, Pizza Inn and Wendys
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
to the crock pot. We sometimes order a pizza on Friday night when we arrive for a weekend getaway. One meal out of the way.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote