Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #1

We are members of KM Resorts in Washington State, and have, with our membership, the use of Resorts of Distinction Plus. We are now being asked if we want to "trade in" this membership for a "new and improved" membership that require an outlay of $4,000. Our membership dues would stay the same $350/year, but we would have the option of using Resorts of Distinction Plus, Adventure Outdoor Resorts, and a condominium travel club. It sounds like a pretty good deal, but of course they only give you three days to decide or of course the price goes up considerably. Does anyone have experience with this group, used any of the campground consortiums, or just has some sound advice. they make it confusing on purpose! Thanks!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If I read this right you already have ROD so for $4000 all you will gain is AOR $8 a night camping and the condo package. I guess the big question would be how much you would use them. ROD is everyone’s first choice when not at one of their own parks since it offers free camping so I would think it would be your first choice even if you had AOR. I don't know about your specific membership but I would think you already have the option to be Coast to Coast members also since KM is a C2C member. If C2C is available then that would negate needing AOR. Although we have the condo package through our membership with Western Horizon we have yet to use it after 4 years. We are RV'rs and like to take our pets with us; as such we just don't have much use for condos. Only you can say for sure what your wants and needs are but now you have our take on this for reflection.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #3

Thanks for the fast response Brian & Loretta (and Chance!)...we would also have the option of KM helping us if we want to sell our membership and yes, we have C2C. One of my biggest concerns, in this economy, is the company going bankrupt. We're going to take the next 3 days to do as much research as we can, and appreciation your input in this process!
Old 01-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Don't count on any company selling your membership for you. KM may be different than ours so I can't comment on them but; I was the fly on the wall at a Western Horizon campground where 2 sales people were discussing the fact that Western Horizon Platinum members had this option but that they only had to sell one used membership for every X (I don't remember how many) sales. They were laughing because right now if you ask them to sell your membership it would take about 6 years.

Being realistic, right now on the open market your membership is worth about $1000 to $1500. Spending another $4000 will not increase its resale value much if any. If you don’t believe me check out Craig’s list for awhile. You will see people asking anywhere from $500 to $5000 for the same type of KM membership. Guess which ones sell.

Don't get me wrong; I love membership camping but,
How do you tell if a membership sales person is lying? Their lips are moving!

If you buy get everything in writing or it isn’t so.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #5

It sounds like KM is using the same model as WH and AOR used with me. That is to try to wring more dollars out of existing members by offering upgrades for a limited time period. I did it once, and still am not sure what I gained ("get it in writing--yes!!!). The second time I got mad and the sales guy got mad and he's not there any more and I am satisfied with what I have now. I decided that the more I invest in and get hooked to a particular network, the less I leave ourselves available to other camping options like a month or two at one winter resort.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:26 PM   #6

Thanks for all the input. We are beginning to believe that what we have is fine. Our dues are frozen and we really don't want to lay out any more $$ in light of the economy--these guys could go bankrupt! thanks again!