Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Question Memorial Day Outing In/Near TX - Short Notice

Hey Folks!

The DW and I just bought our first motor home recently, an older Class A that I put into the shop for a few weeks to smooth off a short list of rough edges. I can finally say that I'm expecting to get it back this week.

We'd love to take it out for a shakedown over the upcoming holiday weekend. We are located in the Dallas area, and normally we'd be looking at Galveston for a 4-day outing like this. However, every place you'd normally be looking at for Memorial Day weekend is long since wait-listed, naturally.

I could really use some park suggestions. I'm guessing we'll have to stay pretty far off the beaten path to get a spot that weekend (Sat-Mon). Our toad isn't ready yet, so we'll need a pedestrian-compatible destination. We have two dogs (boxers) that we will be introducing to the rig for the first time; that's part of the shakedown agenda.

Ultimately, this is just a 'get-out-of-town' relaxation and learning experience. We'll do a Big Damn Holiday trip another time when I can get ahead of the reservation curve.

Any ideas for a park within 6-hours or so from DFW where we can sneak in a short-notice holiday weekend?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2016, 08:28 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Go to the TX Boomers club on this forum. They are having a rally this coming weekend near you. Maybe a spot left. Talk to a lady by the name of Sandy or Allendp on the forum.

Good luck! And hope to see you there! Great bunch of people. It takes me about two to three days to get there, but well worth the trip!

FMCA F451520 - Texas Boomers - RVM#128
Daveht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 PM   #3

I'd recommend that you look for a place away from water - lake, Gulf, river - for that weekend and you'll surely find a spot.

How about Fredericksburg RV Park. Lots to do in the area. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 04:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveht View Post
Go to the TX Boomers club on this forum. They are having a rally this coming weekend near you. Maybe a spot left. Talk to a lady by the name of Sandy or Allendp on the forum.

Good luck! And hope to see you there! Great bunch of people. It takes me about two to three days to get there, but well worth the trip!
Thanks heaps for the tip, Dave! It appears that between the snowbirds and your lot, Brazos Valley is packed. Sandy put me on the wait list, though, so we'll see how that turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
I'd recommend that you look for a place away from water - lake, Gulf, river - for that weekend and you'll surely find a spot.

How about Fredericksburg RV Park. Lots to do in the area. Good luck!
Great minds think alike! I've actually contacted them. No bueno, I'm afraid. However, as an example of your excellent strategy, I think I have found a single KOA site in Amarillo. Not jumping on that just yet, because... Amarillo. Haha, just kidding Amarillo, I'm sure it's a nice spot.

I still have a couple more leads to try, so still open for suggestions!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:37 PM   #5

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Just a suggestion....but fairly close and gorgeous facilities: Oklahoma State Parks. Lake Murray State Park is absolutely wonderful and to the east Robbers Cave State Park is a peaceful getaway. Many others to choose from...

The diamond lakes around Hot Springs, AR are a possibility.... Lake Catherine State Park, Lake DeGray State Park.... nice.

The COE parks around Lake of the Pines in East Texas is nice, but elec and water only.

I would skip Amarillo at this time of year...LOL But.... a distinct possibility is the Grand Canyon of Texas..... Palo Dura Canyon...

Just a few ideas.... bets wishes and travel safe.
RussM311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:20 PM   #6

Looking for a goup to hang out with

Can we have a group show up at another campground? I tried for the boomers rally too but no go. Filled. Is there a campground nearby that's nice? We are at a horrible park now. We're here until this Sunday the 22 of May. Need to find someplace for next week on the way to Dallas We are in Willis Tx now
Justwinginit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 PM   #7

My coach is in the shop and getting out this weekend... I plan on going to a spot close to mu house... In Frisco, I will be calling them tomorrow to check available sites. I will advise.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
The reality is that for Memorial Day, you're probably out of luck this late...
Old 05-19-2016, 10:54 PM   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions.., Oklahoma is definitely on our list in the future, but obviously is going to be just as booked out as Texas at the moment.

I'm working on a Plan B; I have plenty of vacation days banked, so I've got some flexibility if nothing shakes loose in the next week.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2016, 07:56 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fredricksburg or Kerrville
fatguy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 08:04 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
You can look in Glen Rose and Llano also. SW of Ft Worth.

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 03:05 PM   #12

Thanks again, all.

A wait list spot became available, so we are all set.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt-o-matic View Post
Thanks again, all.

A wait list spot became available, so we are all set.
Where? Or at least, what town?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Where? Or at least, what town?
Last week I was referred to the TX Boomers Club, which is holding a rally this weekend in Caldwell, TX (roughly between Austin & College Station). The rally-claimed spots remain full, but a non-rally site opened up; the park (Brazos Valley RV Park) offered that to the rally, which offered it to me. Cha-ching!

This park appears to fit the no-body-of-water, off-the-beaten-path profile, but that's fine with us. It's far enough from home but not too far, and the rally is a nice bonus.