Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Question Memphis to Seattle in September

We are tentatively planning a trip from Memphis to Seattle the first of September, going through South Dakota and stopping at Mt. Rushmore on the way up, and stopping at Yellowstone on the way back (around the 3rd week of September), then going through Wyoming and Nebraska.

We are traveling in a 40 ft RV that is new to us (as of October for those we met in Sevierville this past summer). We've had it out once already Memphis to Charleston, and hit the tail end (winds) from Sandy.

Anyone done this trip / traversed these roads at these times of the year? How are the road conditions? Do they close that early in the year?

Any recommendations for places to stay (and more importantly, places to avoid!)? We will be traveling with 2 adults, 3 lab furbabies.

Thanks for all your help and advice!

TN Blondie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 03:56 PM   #2

You will have no problems in September with weather and hopefully, your 40' MH! An excellent thing to purchase via Amazon is the Mountain Directory - West. (It comes in 'East', too). It's invaluable for driving the western mountains.It gives you very accurate information on what to expect. (Sometimes the unknown is worse than actually doing it.) With our 40' MH we avoid interstates. Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:40 PM   #3

We will be doing the opposite of Y'all in April, going from the Olympic Peninsula (west of Seattle) to Jackson, MS area. We are planning on visiting the Custer Battlefield at/near Garryowen in south central Montana, then following your route north going southbound.
JohnQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:10 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Enjoy your trip through my favorite park, Yellowstone. Couple of pieces of advice, do not try to enter/exit the park via Beartooth Pass and Red Lodge, Mt. It is a great motorcycle road, vicious in an RV. Chief Joseph Pass isn't much better.

Bring a coat/sweater for the high country. I did encounter an ice storm in West Yellowstone at the end of August. That was a cold ride up to Belgrade.
Pricejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #5

Sounds like a great trip. You are cramming a lot of miles in a short time.

A couple thoughts on route: I suggest doing Rushmore and (Crazy Horse) and then do Yellowstone on the way to Seattle. Time may be your issue, I don't know.

Then on the return, out of Seattle, take 90 East, then 82 South, then onto 84 East. Take this to 15 South throught Salt Lake City. Head to the National Parks in southern Utah. Bryce and Zion are the most popular. But I suggest staying in Moab, UT and touring Arches National Park, our favorite. You won't be far from the Grand Canyon if you have time.

Then work your way to I-40 East and back to Memphis.

When in Seattle, if you are visiting someone in north end of Seattle, I recommend Lake Pleasant RV park in Bothell, WA. I suggest reservations as it is the best around and does fill up. If you are visiting someone south of Seattle, then your best bet is the KOA in Kent,WA. Not great, but better than few others around.

Let me know if you need any other info about the Pacific Northwest or what to see in the west. We have done most of the National Parks in the West and there are some great ones.
RUFINIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You will have no problems in September with weather and hopefully, your 40' MH! An excellent thing to purchase via Amazon is the Mountain Directory - West. (It comes in 'East', too). It's invaluable for driving the western mountains.It gives you very accurate information on what to expect. (Sometimes the unknown is worse than actually doing it.) With our 40' MH we avoid interstates. Have a great trip!

Thanks, just purchased it. East I'm much more familiar with.

I do have a question. Is there any reason you avoid the interstates? We took ours to Charleston, via Atlanta and stayed on the interstates as much as possible, thinking they'd be easier to navigate.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
We will be doing the opposite of Y'all in April, going from the Olympic Peninsula (west of Seattle) to Jackson, MS area. We are planning on visiting the Custer Battlefield at/near Garryowen in south central Montana, then following your route north going southbound.

How long are you planning for that trip? I'm guessing (keeping it to less than 500 miles a day) it will take us about 7-8 days to get up there.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post

How long are you planning for that trip? I'm guessing (keeping it to less than 500 miles a day) it will take us about 7-8 days to get up there.
about a month, or maybe longer being retired no schedule
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnQ View Post
about a month, or maybe longer being retired no schedule
We've got another 9 years before DH retires, so we'll go up and back in about a month. I'd love to hear how it goes for you!
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Travelin West

September is my favorite time to RV. Most of the kids are back in school and campgrounds return to tranquil places. The trees will be turning colors in Colorado and Wyoming (SD also) . I work in Memphis and have driven NW in a RV a couple of different ways. It is unlikely, but possible to hit a snowstorm on your way back on the mountain passes. I'm guessing you might use I80 or I76. Watch out for winds on the long stretches across Wyoming and SD. Sometimes a strong windy crosswind is a white knuckle experience over places like Elk Mountain, West of Laramie. Plan ahead for Yellowstone because I think they close some of the campgrounds in September. Many of the Yellowstone/Tetons NP campgrounds cannot accomodate a 40footer (I had one). Look at West Yellowstone to camp in some of the commercial CGs. September will either be shorts and tshirt weather or heavy jackets but either way it's my favorite time of year to see the mountains.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post
Sounds like a great trip. You are cramming a lot of miles in a short time.

A couple thoughts on route: I suggest doing Rushmore and (Crazy Horse) and then do Yellowstone on the way to Seattle. Time may be your issue, I don't know.

Then on the return, out of Seattle, take 90 East, then 82 South, then onto 84 East. Take this to 15 South throught Salt Lake City. Head to the National Parks in southern Utah. Bryce and Zion are the most popular. But I suggest staying in Moab, UT and touring Arches National Park, our favorite. You won't be far from the Grand Canyon if you have time.

Then work your way to I-40 East and back to Memphis.

When in Seattle, if you are visiting someone in north end of Seattle, I recommend Lake Pleasant RV park in Bothell, WA. I suggest reservations as it is the best around and does fill up. If you are visiting someone south of Seattle, then your best bet is the KOA in Kent,WA. Not great, but better than few others around.

Let me know if you need any other info about the Pacific Northwest or what to see in the west. We have done most of the National Parks in the West and there are some great ones.
Good advice above. I'll only add one thing and that as you get into the Dakota's, west into Montana (even eastern Washington) fuel stops can be few and far between even on I-90 (almost found that one out the hard way!!). Keep you tank at least half full. Easy (Montana) to go close to 100 miles between fuel stops.

I-90 is the (only actually) Freeway system across the northern tier of States and the most direct. As for Yellowstone take a look at turning south in Mussoula (sp?) and down (think I've got the number right) 93 through the Bitterroot Valley and approach the Park from the north. Also the west end of I-90 is in downtown Seattle.
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFINIT View Post

We are actually looking at staying at Eagle Tree RV Park since our friends are in Silverdale, and the reunion we are attending will be there as well. What do you know about that RV Park?

I've been researching things to do in Seattle. I know we'd like to hit Snoqualmie falls, and possibly Redhook Brewery.

Other things on the possibility list are: Aurora Bridge, Center for Wooden Boats, Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, and the Waterfront. What else would you suggest? AND what things on my list would you not recommend? Not including the reunion, we'll have 4-5 days there (I'm still working out how long to stay in each location ).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Blondie View Post
We are actually looking at staying at Eagle Tree RV Park since our friends are in Silverdale, and the reunion we are attending will be there as well. What do you know about that RV Park?

I've been researching things to do in Seattle. I know we'd like to hit Snoqualmie falls, and possibly Redhook Brewery.

Other things on the possibility list are: Aurora Bridge, Center for Wooden Boats, Pike Place Market, Seattle Center, and the Waterfront. What else would you suggest? AND what things on my list would you not recommend? Not including the reunion, we'll have 4-5 days there (I'm still working out how long to stay in each location ).

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!
Are you aware that Silverdale is on the WEST side of Pungent Sound and the places in Seattle are on the EAST side of Pungent Sound, i.e., Expensive Round Trip Ferries??? Just saying I would suggest that you try the tour of the drydocked Navy ships at Bremerton (south of Silverdale 10 miles).
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #14

You might consider
Trailer Inn
15531 SE 37th
Bellevue, WA 98006
Ph: (425) 747-9181
Reservations: (800) 659-4684

I stayed there in October of 2011 for a week while visiting family in Seattle.

Good shopping and restaurants nearby, without all the traffic problems of being in the city itself.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote