Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-05-2014, 02:42 PM   #1
Merry Meadows- Freeland, MD.

We just stayed at MM this past Friday and Saturday.
We ordinarily would not stay at a campground within an hour of our home but due to a friend's recommendation decided to give it a try.

First of all, this is a big and unique campground. They have a lot of neat sites and when walking around you will scratch your head when you suddenly come across a cabin in the middle of a hill or a pickle ball court in the middle of nowhere! It makes for a very unique and exciting adventure every time you go for a walk.
We stayed at the Cliffhanger site which is a great site! You are isolated from the entire campground and feel all to your own.
They have some beautiful sites across from the cliffhanger site, in which some have pull-up decks and a great view!

We went during their AppleFest which our kids were excited for. The kids literally ran to this Saturday morning with our wallets in hand. They went to the Pumpkin Ghost Milkjug craft first. It was only $4. $4 sounds amazing for a kids craft!
My daughter ran up handed the girl $4 and was handed a plastic milkjug and some markers. She waited and looked at me...that was all. The girl said to go ahead and draw on it. lol $4 is not much. But I know after a month my daughter expected more. She expected an actual 'craft' she said. And not something she normally does in our kitchen after we finish a jug of milk.

We then waited for 3:00 to roll around to do the kid's events.
At 3:30 we walked over and to our surprise/dismay nothing was happening but a small snowball hut. We were told we could rent a car for the RC car track or ride a bike on the same track...for a fee. They had an inflatable bounce pit too...that was out of operation. You could also pay $20 for colored rocks which we would place in their mining sand so our kids could sift them back out like gold-miners.

Since no one else was doing any of those events they wanted to go in the recreation lodge. Now I am quite sure at one time in the 70's this place was pretty happening, but by the musty smell and the amount of 'out of order' games it was not now. The kids wanted to play on one of the ping pong tables...no paddles or balls. They wanted to play Foosball...no balls. How about a game of pool...more $$$. Good God we are already paying to stay there. Now we need to pay just to play a game of pool????

They then decided to play the 4 games that were still in operation, one of which stole our money and the other had a broken controller, which was a loss of money.
I asked the kids if they wanted to sit on the sofas covered with sheets and watch a VCR tape on the plexiglass covered tv. They looked at me like I was speaking French.

Now I would recommend this place for simply camping. The staff is friendly and the other campers are all very friendly too.
There is a site to please just about anyone.

But if you are staying due to interests in events, it is a bit of a bust. It is very antiquated and seems like a bit of a dinosaur in a world of numerous modern rv campgrounds. I can see the long term renters enjoying MM as it is tranquil and relaxing.
But it is quite a disappointment for those who have stayed at other modern campgrounds and are looking for something to do.

2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-10-2014, 06:09 AM   #2
Newmar Owners Club
This use to be called Morris Meadows. Mr. Morris would drive through once or twice a day. Do you know if he still owns it? Did you see a elderly Gentleman drive thru?
Did you get a chance to visit the museum?

CC..... Happy Rving!!
2013 Newmar - Canyon Star 3940
2012 Honda CR-V toad
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
I'm pretty sure it is his daughter that owns it now. I don't think I saw him driving around, although I wouldn't know if I did.
I didn't go to a museum. Although the campground seemed like one. lol
2015 Thor ACE EVO30.1

EricGT is offline   Reply With Quote