Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2019, 11:38 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Mesa, AZ to Denver - HELP!

Hi all, we just drove a hellish drive from Denver to Mesa, AZ. Took I25 to I40 then veered off in Holbrook to 377 then to 260, and finally 87. What a white-knuckle trip! had to stop several times to let brakes cool off. Took us forever. Just wondering if the route would be any less thrilling if we left Mesa heading to Flagstaff and pick up I40 there. Sadly the "flattest route" is no longer functioning. Any good flat route suggestions would be great! Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2019, 05:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If you are heading to Flagstaff from Mesa, just run up I-17 to I-40. It is good road. There is an uphill climb as you get nearer to Flagstaff but, just follow the trucks.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
Hi all, we just drove a hellish drive from Denver to Mesa, AZ.

Took I-25 to I-40 then veered off in Holbrook to 377 then to 260, and finally 87.

What a white-knuckle trip! had to stop several times to let brakes cool off.

Took us forever.

Just wondering if the route would be any less thrilling if we left Mesa heading to Flagstaff and pick up I-40 there.

Sadly the "flattest route" is no longer functioning.

Any good flat route suggestions would be great! Thanks
Couple of simple questions - Do you have an Engine Brake - where were the issues? on the back roads or the I's.

Generally if you are not used to the Ups and Downs in the Mountains I advise staying on the I's as much as possible.

You being from Colorado, I'm sure you have experience in the Mountains. Just slow down - use the Engine to Brake - and enjoy the drives.

You likely will enjoy just staying on the Interstates, so Flagstaff is likely in your Future, if the Drive down was Stressful.

Looking at your drive down - I see lots of Beautiful Mountains.........https://binged.it/2TXYeV8 - stay on the I's and just enjoy the drive back Home - Keep an eye out for the Spring Snow - often Deep, and unexpected, on the ride Home.

Best of Luck,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 07:21 AM   #4

A longer trip but no grade issues.
Tucson, I10 to Las Cruses, I25 to Denver.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:34 AM   #5

Tucson to Deming to Hatch to I25 to I40 to Denver. Been there done that. Hatch green chili hamburgers yummy.
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:26 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Love the hatch green chili burgers. I brought 20 pounds of fresh roasted green chili’s home with us after the harvest festival.

Currently between coaches.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 08:38 AM   #7

OP, there are a couple of long but doable climbs on I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff. beyond that the
I-17 and I-40 roadbed in the immediate area of Flagstaff is horrendous. when we came thru last year and the year before i thought the coach was gonna shake itself apart. you apparently don’t like climbs so the advice to follow I-10 east thru Tucson to I-25 north via either the Hatch cutoff at Deming (NM 26) or at Las Cruces is your best bet. suggest also you get paper add/or digital copies of the West Mountain Directory.

https://www.mountaindirectory.com
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:06 AM   #8

No way that route should have been white knuckle. Perhaps Hammer should read up on mountain driving in a large diesel rig with air brakes and use of an engine brake. Is the jeep equipped with a braking system?
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 09:13 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I'm not the driver, just passenger, Hubby wasn't nervous, but I was! (don't like heights) yep we have a dp with engine brake. the mountains caught us by surprise. We have an aux brake on our jeep. We just moved to CO and live out in the plains. We've done mountains before but coming into AZ we were really caught off guard by the number of 6% grades on that route. Thanks for all the info.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer bird View Post
...We just moved to CO and live out in the plains. We've done mountains before but coming into AZ we were really caught off guard by the number of 6% grades on that route. Thanks for all the info.
hence my suggestion to get and use the West Mountain Directory. no more surprises.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 10:44 AM   #11

Or just use Google Maps for free. Push the Terrain button and it will show you where the mountains are. And watch some trucker videos on proper mountain driving. There is no need for hot brakes if things are done correctly.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #12

Mesa, AZ to Denver - HELP!

wow, sorry you didn't enjoy the scenery. I pull our TT that way several times a year and truly enjoy it. Unless you take the Tucson route, you will be in for mountain driving, getting from Mesa, out of AZ to the North or West. You definitely do not want to take US60 North out of Globe, you would hate Salt River Canyon.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Pete View Post
wow, sorry you didn't enjoy the scenery. I pull our TT that way several times a year and truly enjoy it. Unless you take the Tucson route, you will be in for mountain driving, getting from Mesa, out of AZ to the North or West. You definitely do not want to take US60 North out of Globe, you would hate Salt River Canyon.

sorry folks, I intended to say North or East. West is flat to California.
AZ Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #14

OP: Hard to believe you were petrified by 'dropoffs' on that route. That is a super easy drive compared to some in Colorado. I think you should leave by that route and get yourself used to hills. If your husband didn't mind driving it that should make you more confident. Also, perhaps if you learned to drive it would feel better for you. Sometimes the passenger seat is the scariest place! We both took turns driving just in case one couldn't for some reason. Good luck on your mountain driving. You've got a lot of beauty to explore in Colorado and you'll need to do hills. By the way, I-17 up to I-40 isn't a piece of cake either! You'll be doing the Camp Verde downhill. You'll have a 6% down for 7 miles and a runaway truck ramp. From Camp Verde to Flagstaff you'll have a steep uphill. I also recommend you get the 'Mountain Directory for Truckers and RVers'. Then you can read the route before driving it so there will be no surprises. If you know what's up ahead it will be easier for you.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote