Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2016, 11:21 AM   #1

Mesa Verde Bus Tours worth it?

We will be in Durango, staying at the Morefield Campground in Mesa Verde National Park next fall (9/2016). On the reservation site they have options to add in 3 or 4 hour bus tours, which include being bused around to see the sites. Prices are about 50.00 per person.

Has anyone done these bus tours?
Which one? Did you feel it was well worth the money?

I do have some mobility issues, and this is on the return leg of a 2 week vacation that may leave me in a position to need to reduce my hiking dramatically to handle pain levels, so I'm considering this option.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

We visited the park last fall but decided to just drive our vehicle through the area. I prefer to travel on my schedule than to be on a bus. Plus you will save money over the bus fees.

BTW, we camped outside of the park at Mesa Verda RV park and loved it. Nice friendly staff, good rates and their showers were spotless!

Mesa Verde RV Resort | Colorado Campground | Mesa Verde National Park
Old 01-07-2016, 05:45 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Been to Mesa Verde a number of times. Wonderful magical place! Unless you have a problem driving on mountain roads, I think the best bet is to drive yourself. You can decide which of the sights most interest you and when you get tired you can pack it in for the day. If you pay for the bus trip you are tied to their schedule and may feel obligated to finish out the excursion. If you can spread the experience out over a couple of days, you may enjoy it better.
Lynnowensmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 11:01 PM   #4

If you have mobility issues I'd suggest skipping the tour if it includes Cliff Palace. It's a very strenuous hike as are some of the other ruins. You can view some of the ruins from a distance by not hiking.

I suggest you study the national park's web site which give a lot of information on what to do and how strenuous the hikes are.

Things To Do - Mesa Verde National Park (U.S. National Park Service)

As with all national parks, there are many viewpoints and short walks available. It's a very easy park to do on your own.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 03:32 PM   #5

The bus tour we foolishly paid for was a joke. They did not even get close to any of the cliff dwellings. They took us to a few mesa top sites but that is all. Total waste.
airmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

Mesa Verde Bus Tours worth it?

We did one bus tour from the campground for Cliff Palace. It was well done and we did it since we thought it was the only way to see it. If you have a vehicle, skip the tour, get a cheap ticket and tour the park on your own. A lot of great sites and short walks from overlooks.

The full service restaurant in the park is also worth checking out.

Gary
Gary0358 is offline   Reply With Quote