Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-10-2016, 11:01 PM   #43

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Haha! Listening to some of the "experienced" cruisers on our ship, you would have thought Barcelona, and Las Ramblas especially, would be a hotbed of murder and terror. It was the highlight of our entire trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Exactly. There are about 6000 pick pocket incidents per pay in Paris, Barcelona etc etc etc. Can you imagine not seeing places like this because of pick pocket incidents. The Ramblas Barcelona is one of our favorite spots to sit and people watch with a sangria in hand. Can't imagine missing it because of the pick pocket activity there.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 11:08 PM   #44

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Sigh. Those are the Federales - the Federal Police. They are there to give Americans a show so that they feel safe, and also to protect their citizens from foreigners. This is nothing different than, say, the officers with machine guns that you see at international airports in Europe or Israel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windtalker View Post
Say what you want, I cruised to Western Carribean for my retirement celebration. On one of our cities in Mexico, there were armed men with machine guns at the end of the dock. It didn't feel safe to me. I'd much rather go the Oregon coast.
Old 01-10-2016, 11:10 PM   #45

Yesss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Mexico took three honors #1, #23, #32!
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #46

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windtalker View Post
Say what you want, I cruised to Western Carribean for my retirement celebration. On one of our cities in Mexico, there were armed men with machine guns at the end of the dock. It didn't feel safe to me. I'd much rather go the Oregon coast.

I hope that was the police or military. I have seen official vehicle trucks driving town around with several men holding rifles.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisablue85 View Post
Well now... I also heard & believed the rumors, unfortunately. Would love to go back, but this time in an RV! The beaches are beautiful!

You laying on the beach - talk about a beautiful sight!
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:09 AM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
While I visited Mexico about a lifetime ago as a senior trip with a few other crazy graduates in my old car, not sure a NY Times endorsement would make me want to visit again...
Old 01-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #49

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Hey folks, if you don't want to visit, then don't. Simple.

But don't put your possibly unfounded fears and concerns on anyone else.

When American police officers patrol airports with assault rifles and police dogs, you don't bat an eye, but when you see armed officers in Mexico it must be dangerous? Well, than don't go to Mexico. Leaves more room for the rest of us. And thank you for that.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:06 PM   #50

Would you, guys, recommend any reading materials about RVing in Mexico? Books, blogs, maybe with pictures? Would love to go there but do not know anything at all. Just got an RV and had first trip of 4 months (Canada and Eastern seaboard mostly), loved it!
Laara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:14 PM   #51

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Go back through this topic/discussion. Some good links here already.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #52

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Many people might agree. Mexican federal police killed less people than cops in the US last year.
I'd like to see a source on that.
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 11:46 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
I'd like to see a source on that.
Google is your friend.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:16 AM   #54

Lifetime ago vs. recent article. Go figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
While I visited Mexico about a lifetime ago as a senior trip with a few other crazy graduates in my old car, not sure a NY Times endorsement would make me want to visit again...
Old 01-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #55

Ordinary, run of the mill Texans can now walk the streets armed with assault rifles, despite all of the recent mass shootings in that state. Yahoos are holding federal land hostage with guns in Oregon. Let's see how many of you avoid travelling in those states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post

I hope that was the police or military. I have seen official vehicle trucks driving town around with several men holding rifles.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:49 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This is the same debate that has played over and over on here!
Coming from my personal experience, having rented a house in Mx. for 4 years, and traveling all around, up and down the west coast of Mx. I never had a problem, except when I was not there! (My house got broken into when I left it unattended for 6 weeks once.) I have eaten lobsters in Rosarito, walked the streets of T.J., sat in the bars along the coast in Puerto Penasco! And as a expat now living in Thailand, (under military rule) I have always felt safe! So, if the fear monger's say " ohhhh, I would never do that!" Just smile, and let them have their say!
You only live once, and life is short! So do what your heart says, and get out there!
And to the people "that read something on the internet, so it must be true" Get Real!!! Do some research! Rail!