Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-13-2016, 11:40 PM   #71

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
Sigh. Those are the Federales - the Federal Police. They are there to give Americans a show so that they feel safe, and also to protect their citizens from foreigners. This is nothing different than, say, the officers with machine guns that you see at international airports in Europe or Israel.
Either that or the local cartel, same difference

montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 11:42 PM   #72

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Google is your friend.
Not that interested

Old 01-13-2016, 11:45 PM   #73

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Ordinary, run of the mill Texans can now walk the streets armed with assault rifles, despite all of the recent mass shootings in that state. Yahoos are holding federal land hostage with guns in Oregon. Let's see how many of you avoid travelling in those states.
Texas is not known for mass shootings, you are thinking of California.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:47 PM   #74

Outdoors RV Owners Club
It's simple. Don't go if you are afraid.

What does anyone have to gain by attempting to make others afraid?

Hmm?
Old 01-13-2016, 11:53 PM   #75

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
It's simple. Don't go if you are afraid.

What does anyone have to gain by attempting to make others afraid?

Hmm?
Why would anyone give anyone advice on an internet forum?

No one is saying don't go to Mexico, just that it is not the safest place for most Americans. If you don't have a reason to go or specific experience, I wouldn't recommend taking your rv down there.
Old 01-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #76

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Hey folks, if you don't want to visit, then don't. Simple.

But don't put your possibly unfounded fears and concerns on anyone else.

When American police officers patrol airports with assault rifles and police dogs, you don't bat an eye, but when you see armed officers in Mexico it must be dangerous? Well, than don't go to Mexico. Leaves more room for the rest of us. And thank you for that.

I don't mind Mexican police with guns - what bothers me is Mexican criminal gangs dressing up as the police with guns.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #77

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
No one is saying don't go to Mexico, just that it is not the safest place for most Americans.
They're not saying don't go in so few words, no. When was travel safety ever guaranteed? Got RV insurance? I do.

America can be a dangerous place, but there are good crime stats reported in this country. When there is a vacuum of information, the mind tends to wander towards fear. There are parts of Mexico that are dangerous, and parts that are very safe.

There are parts of America that are dangerous, and parts that are safe.

The big difference is knowing where those places are. Blanket statements about Mexico being dangerous are the same as folks from European countries saying America is dangerous. I know people from England that won't visit the US because they believe it is dangerous! We know that kind of statement is very much untrue, but there really are only a few places where it is. Detroit comes to mind. If you didn't live there and knew where was dangerous and could give good advice, would you tell someone looking for a wonderful American vacation to visit Detroit? I would hope not.

I suppose all of the good information given by those that have traveled to MX and points even further south by RV, actually been there and done that and sometimes more than once, must be all made up? Yeah, that's gotta be it. Or they're just the lucky ones.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:55 PM   #78

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
They're not saying don't go in so few words, no. When was travel safety ever guaranteed? Got RV insurance? I do.

America can be a dangerous place, but there are good crime stats reported in this country. When there is a vacuum of information, the mind tends to wander towards fear. There are parts of Mexico that are dangerous, and parts that are very safe.

There are parts of America that are dangerous, and parts that are safe.

The big difference is knowing where those places are. Blanket statements about Mexico being dangerous are the same as folks from European countries saying America is dangerous. I know people from England that won't visit the US because they believe it is dangerous! We know that kind of statement is very much untrue, but there really are only a few places where it is. Detroit comes to mind. If you didn't live there and knew where was dangerous and could give good advice, would you tell someone looking for a wonderful American vacation to visit Detroit? I would hope not.

I suppose all of the good information given by those that have traveled to MX and points even further south by RV, actually been there and done that and sometimes more than once, must be all made up? Yeah, that's gotta be it. Or they're just the lucky ones.
95% of America is safe to drive down the road.
According to the US state department it is not safe to drive in the border states. State also warns Americans not to make shows of wealth in Mexico.

Just because some people smoke all their lives and never get lung cancer, does that make it safe?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #79

Outdoors RV Owners Club
From the State Dept. warning on travel in MX:
Quote:
Millions of U.S. citizens safely visit Mexico each year for study, tourism, and business, including more than 150,000 who cross the border every day. The Mexican government dedicates substantial resources to protect visitors to major tourist destinations, and there is no evidence that organized criminal groups have targeted U.S. visitors or residents based on their nationality.
Why should they be taken seriously when they start off a travel warning by telling us that millions of folks visit MX from the US without any trouble at all? Approximately 150 kidnappings out of millions of Americans visiting, and most of the kidnappers only want a little money and let their victims go completely unharmed? Sounds like it might just be as safe as the US! People shoot others here just for sport.

The smoking safety argument? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Like I said, don't go. More for the rest of us.

I'm done arguing about the safety of a country that depends on the US and tourism for so much. Folks will believe only what they want regardless of the source or veracity of the information. Credulity is far more important than facts. I get it.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:44 AM   #80

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
That darned amnesia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montyhp View Post
Texas is not known for mass shootings, you are thinking of California.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 AM   #81
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Several posts have been removed as our Community Rules do not allow personal attacks on other members. Discuss the topic and not each other.
Thanks

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:04 AM   #82

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
What is the difference between an American carrying an assault weapon and a Mexican carrying one? Nothing. Both are scary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano56 View Post
Not really a fair comparison, Americans can give them a thumbs up and drive on. Lol
Old 01-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #83

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
From the State Dept. warning on travel in MX:

Why should they be taken seriously when they start off a travel warning by telling us that millions of folks visit MX from the US without any trouble at all? Approximately 150 kidnappings out of millions of Americans visiting, and most of the kidnappers only want a little money and let their victims go completely unharmed? Sounds like it might just be as safe as the US! People shoot others here just for sport.

The smoking safety argument? https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman

Like I said, don't go. More for the rest of us.

I'm done arguing about the safety of a country that depends on the US and tourism for so much. Folks will believe only what they want regardless of the source or veracity of the information. Credulity is far more important than facts. I get it.
Most people don't understand the concept of safety. The smoking analogy, and many other risk analogies, are a legitimate methods used by risk assessment professionals to put risks into perspective.

Most people consider safety to be a product of probability and severity of consequence. Just because a lot of people go to Mexico and don't have a problem doesn't mean it is safe for the rest of us. For people to suggest that it is safe in the face of direct evidence to the contrary is a little bizarre.
Old 01-15-2016, 10:08 AM   #84

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Twenty + year old stories are direct evidence?

People from England don't want to visit the US because they believe it's dangerous. What would you say to them? What direct evidence could they show you to convince you it's dangerous for them to visit the US?