Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Alaska, Canada, Mexico and Beyond
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-25-2015, 08:31 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Mexico

Heading for Mazatlan Mexico Sunday Dec 27. Any one have experience going across at Nogales? Driving a 200oHoliday Rambler with a 2001 Saturn S as a toad from Minnesota. Looks like the weather is going to be warm enough to flush the winterization sunday before I leave.
Just looking for a spot close to the border and if It would be wise to go over either New Years eve or New years day as that's about what the schedule provides.

Any experience helpful.

Thanks
Jeff, Andy and Amos.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2015, 08:43 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Can't help any Jeff, sure looks nice there! Subscribed........
Old 01-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Getting in to Mexico is hassle free. The problem from what I have heard is being stopped on the highway by what looks like a police car, only to find out that the "officers" are part of criminal gangs, who will take your vehicle and kidnap you to try and get ransom. I plan to go to Mexico in an RV caravan for safety, but would never go alone. Now that you are there, be very careful with whoever you meet up with.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
Getting in to Mexico is hassle free. The problem from what I have heard is being stopped on the highway by what looks like a police car, only to find out that the "officers" are part of criminal gangs, who will take your vehicle and kidnap you to try and get ransom. I plan to go to Mexico in an RV caravan for safety, but would never go alone. Now that you are there, be very careful with whoever you meet up with.
wow, thats a scary thing
Old 01-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #5

Quote:
Any chance you have a news source to back up that contention?

Last time I heard that happened was in 2006 or so.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #6

That story is bogus. The poster should not put up that kind of info unless he has first hand knowledge.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 12:22 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
Yeah, the first time we went we "heard" that, too, from people parked on this side of the border who've never been to Mexico because of "safety." We traveled Baja independently from Tijuana to Cabo, just as thousands of RVers from the US and Canada do annually, and never had a moment's trouble. The same for friends who've traveled the Mexican mainland.

From observing and from talking to people who regretted their choices, my opinion is that a caravan is a waste of opportunity and money. You are herded into the larger campgrounds where you have to park so tightly you have no choice but to learn your neighbors personal habits - forget smaller sites or restaurants; the benefit of the "Spanish speaking tour guides" that caravans promise is unnecessary because at the places they stop, everyone speaks English; caravan members have to go through the militarized checkpoints one at a time, just like everyone else, etc. And there are certain places they just are not going to risk treading - really narrow roads out to beaches, etc. - because of liability.

We became quite good friends with a couple who left their caravan because it felt restrictive. We also met some nice people who were understandably afraid because of hearsay about danger. It's your choice, but I would suggest consider going independent.

Quote:
The problem from what I have heard is being stopped on the highway by what looks like a police car, only to find out that the "officers" are part of criminal gangs, who will take your vehicle and kidnap you to try and get ransom. I plan to go to Mexico in an RV caravan for safety, but would never go alone. Now that you are there, be very careful with whoever you meet up with.
Johnitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:23 PM   #8

I travel into and out of Mexico once or twice a year, I have never had a problem. Take advice from someone that actually goes to Mexico, not a keyboard warrior that has not been there. (and no disrespect intended). JH
micpib1354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 01:29 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by micpib1 View Post
I travel into and out of Mexico once or twice a year, I have never had a problem. Take advice from someone that actually goes to Mexico, not a keyboard warrior that has not been there. (and no disrespect intended). JH
Having a Black & Tan, Steelers just about got it in the bag........and you made me laugh
I want to make the crossing someday soon
I really enjoy reading/posting's from those who have been there, sounds wonderful!
Old 01-03-2016, 08:01 PM   #10

This RV park is near Nogales for your last stop before crossing. There are also good services in nearby Green Valley (grocery, hardware, etc.) if you need them. Have a great trip!

De Anza RV Resort :: Amado, Arizona :: Green Valley, Arizona :: Southern Arizona RV Resort
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 09:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
That story is bogus. The poster should not put up that kind of info unless he has first hand knowledge.
actually I talked to some guys at work that are from and visit Mexico, they said that this can and does happen, leave you on the side of the road with only your shorts on. I guess you have to know which roads to travel
Old 01-05-2016, 12:45 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Doesn't take much searching to find stories. You may go many times and have no trouble, until that one time your luck runs out. There is safety in numbers.

Kidnapping in Mexico Increased by 30% in June | News | teleSUR English
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:17 AM   #13

Mexico

Mexico is on the US State Department travel advisory list for crime. In Southern California much fewer Californians go south to once popular beach towns south of Tijuana. Too much crime. Surfers that used to think they were safe camping on the beach in groups were everywhere. Now, no one would even think of camping on the beach. 2 years ago the resort city of Alcapulco was over run by criminal gangs. So many places to visit, why take the chance.
LeRoi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:07 AM   #14

There is not one case of an RV'r being kidnapped. The crime is usually drug related or between cartels. There are many places in the USA with more car jackings, more murders of innocent people, more home invasions, etc. I have 25 years experience in Mexico and am much safer here than in LA. Deano: Your second hand story is meaningless without a link. There was an incident in Baja about 7 years ago. A driver of one of the Baja race support vehicles was stopped not far from Tijuana. He had his wife with him. They took the truck and trailer and left them in the middle of nowhere. He was driving at night. Experienced Mexico travelers do not drive at night! Nontheless it was a horrible experience. On the other hand an elderly BC couple were in Canada and they disappeared. Later the MH was found. They were dead. So I guess we should not travel to BC ! One should do the research and make your own decision.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote