Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 11:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Michigan near Detroit

Planning another trip to Michigan. Last time we stayed at Algonac State park. nice spot with view of river. Only issue it was a bit out for family to visit. Looking for something closer toward Detroit- Harrison township area, any ideas?
mernmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #2

What town do you need to be close to for the family?
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 12:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
You're going to be hard pressed to find a campground closer to Harrison Township than Algonac State Park.

There is the St. Clair RV Resort - which is 29 miles straight up I94 from Harrison Township that while a little farther - is probably an easier drive than the trip to Algonac State Park. It's also got some amenities that the state part doesn't offer - like full hook-ups, pool, etc....

Aside from that - your next closest set of options would be the parks along the I75 corridor in north Oakland County. These include Holly Recreation Area (part of the state park system) or the Oakland County Park system (Addison Oaks, Independence Oaks, Groveland Oaks) ... however, the closest of these would be Addison Oaks which is roughly 30 miles of "non-freeway" from Harrison Township. Note that Holly Recreation Area and the Oakland County parks do not offer "full hookups". Sites are "electric only" with a central dump station.

There are a couple of "private" campgrounds tucked in and around the north Oakland county parks - which you find by looking on Allstays. However I've had zero experience with any of them - so can't provide much in terms of recommendation. Of the parks along the I75 corridor - Holly Recreation Area and/or Addison Oaks would be my preference.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:20 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
St Clair Rv was my next choice for the same reason you mentioned. It would be an easier drive than to Algonac, although it may be winter when we get there and if I recall it may not be open. Algonac should be though.. Thanks for your input - it is what I found as I was looking. Just thought I may have missed something.
mernmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 06:57 AM   #5

There is also the campgound at the Wayne County fairgrounds just off of I-94 near Belleville. Pretty bare bones, but within short walking distance to a WalMart and restaurants.

Wayne County Fairgrounds - Belleville Michigan
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote