Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2015, 10:03 PM   #15

I was told Michigan has more lighthouses than both coasts of the U.S.A. Three of which may be entered by the public.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I was told Michigan has more lighthouses than both coasts of the U.S.A. Three of which may be entered by the public.
You are correct. Did you hear that from the lighthouse tour interpreter at Heceta Head Lighthouse at Florence, Oregon? We gave the tours there and that was one of our 'trick' questions. Folks think more lighthouses are along the coasts but Michigan has the most!

twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Do MI. State Parks charge a daily entrance fee. If they still charge a entrance fee, is that up and above the overnight camping fees?

I remember a few years back someone said even if yyou dropped your RV tt off and went to the grocery store the next day you had to pay another entrance fee.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:59 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Go here.
DNR Campground Search

Welcome to Michigan!
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 06:57 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Do MI. State Parks charge a daily entrance fee. If they still charge a entrance fee, is that up and above the overnight camping fees?

I remember a few years back someone said even if yyou dropped your RV tt off and went to the grocery store the next day you had to pay another entrance fee.
They do still charge a daily fee on top of your camping fee, $9. You can buy their yearly pass, I believe it was $60...so if you're going to camp for any longer than a week, its going to pay for itself. Still...it irks me when a state park does that...Texas does it too, as does Indiana....I'm sure there's more. If you're picnicking, ok, but if you're already paying for camping you shouldn't have to pay those up charges.
fixn2gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:06 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last year we camped in MI. They charged a $14 annual CG fee for the State Park facility. I'm not exactly sure what it got you but i do now that we stayed in the one near Higgins Lake "Hartwick Pines" and it was beautiful. We want to go back.
It takes $$$$$ to upgrade these parks. I'm not upset if it is spent well and it seems MI is trying to make some better $$$$ decisions since Detroit is all but closed down.

TeJay
Old 04-24-2015, 09:59 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You are correct. Did you hear that from the lighthouse tour interpreter at Heceta Head Lighthouse at Florence, Oregon? We gave the tours there and that was one of our 'trick' questions. Folks think more lighthouses are along the coasts but Michigan has the most!
No, I was told that by a cousin who lives in Yahats, OR. now. The Great Lakes lighthouse tour is outlined on the MI tourism website, and in the Rand McNally GPS RV7730 highlighted tours software.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
Jayco Owners Club
I do the state parks quite a bit in Michigan. Holland SP is a really nice park.

Hoffmaster is pretty nice, just make sure you get a site that will fit your rig. There is a nice day use side. A nice beach, and is only a short drive to Grand Haven, which has a nice boardwalk. A very nice beach, you can watch the boats come in and out.

Ludington is a nice SP but very hard to get in.
Yankee Springs SP Gun Lake park is a nice one. I go there quite a bit.
Those are just a few that I have been to
Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM   #23

There is a Michigan recreational passport fee of 11$.
It is required of every vehicle that enters MI parks and is good for the year.
As to FHU, WE, E or Nothing, you will have to research the park(s) individually.
Sterling was mentioned. only some of Sterling is FHU and some is E-30 only.
You had best make plans and reservations as the better park fill up fast.

Matt
Old 04-26-2015, 05:57 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixn2gocamp View Post
They do still charge a daily fee on top of your camping fee, $9. You can buy their yearly pass, I believe it was $60...so if you're going to camp for any longer than a week, its going to pay for itself. Still...it irks me when a state park does that...Texas does it too, as does Indiana....I'm sure there's more. If you're picnicking, ok, but if you're already paying for camping you shouldn't have to pay those up charges.
And you forgot that the OP has a toad so they get to purchase 2 annual or daily passes. MI,my home state, charges for every motorized vehicle. I do not use those rip-off parks.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:49 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
As previously stated, Michigan did change their entrance pass program to the Recreational Passport program. Non-resident passes are $31 for the calendar year, so it expires December 31 of this year. Residential passports that are purchased at time of license plate renewal are $11 and are good until your plate expires. If you have a tow vehicle, it also needs a $6 pass, which is good for the entire time of your camping stay. You are, of course, free to purchase a passport for the tow vehicle, should you wish to contribute more . This program puts you in state park campgrounds (full hook up sites are now $35; everything else is less), state forest campgrounds (approx. $13/night), and state harbors/marinas (cost for the slip, if needed is based on location and same for everyone, regardless of residency). Some of the parks are getting upgraded nicely because of this program. Some of the parks are breathtaking and have much to be enjoyed.

Safe travels...
Fencebuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM   #26

If you are moving around MI State Parks, it's best to buy a season pass so you don't get charged for each park. With our 35' Pursuit, we didn't have problems in Traverse City, Straits SP, & Muskegon. We visited many other SP's while volunteering at Muskegon and there were large rigs in the ones we saw - Holland, Luddington, etc. Dry camped in Sleeping Bear Dunes NP. MI SPs are pretty, well located and popular and a step up from dry camping. Depending on where you want to be and when, it can be tough getting into any campgrounds, especially commercial since they tend to rent seasonally. After Labor Day is the best time. Good luck.