Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #1

Michigan to Florida

Heading to Florida 3rd week of March. Looking for a spot to catch 5-6 hours of sleep somewhere just North of Chattanooga. We are coming from the Grand Rapids side of Michigan, probably come down I-75. Could come down I-65 as well.

First trip south with the MH, usually fly down, so any thoughts based on experience would be appreciated!
BTL550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #2

Only 5-6 hrs. of sleep, guess your not looking for a campground. Lots of places to pull over between Athens and Cleveland off I-75, rest areas, truckstops, walmarts and other big box stores. Same coming out of Nashville on I-24, before Chattanooga. I can't be specific, but they are there. Good Luck
spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:50 AM   #3

I would do a campground, might feel better sleeping. I didn't think truckers appreciated RV's taking a nap at the trucks stops or rest area's. Although the convenience would be nice, I could fuel up on the way out or in.

Thank you for the reply

Bret
Old 02-07-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

"RV Parky" is a great App. It works great for finding places to stay along your route including free options such as Walmart and paid like campgrounds. Give it a try. You can use the map to explore all of the options along your route wherever you need to plan a break.

As far as routes, nothing wrong with I-75 IMHO.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #5

Indian Mountain State Park in Jellico and Cove Lake (farther north than you may want) are both nice places and right off of I-75. We stayed at both on our way south from Cincinnati.
Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 02:54 PM   #6

Thank you for the information! That is a little farther north than i wanted to be. But my start time on the 23rd will probably dictate where I stop.

Safe Traveling!

Bret
Old 02-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #7

Allstays app is a great app for finding fuel stops, rest areas, Walmart’s, campgrounds, state parks , RV repair, etc. don’t travel without it!
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
When you get tired, search for a Walmart, they are everywhere. Easy in and easy out!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTL550 View Post
I would do a campground, might feel better sleeping. I didn't think truckers appreciated RV's taking a nap at the trucks stops or rest area's. Although the convenience would be nice, I could fuel up on the way out or in.

Thank you for the reply

Bret
When parking at a Truck Stop, you never park around back with the big trucks.
You are correct, they do not want you, and you do not want to be with them.
Park in the front with the cars, and some locations have dedicated RV Lanes.
As for rest areas, they are there to give "all" travellers a place to pull in and rest.
Just try to stay away from the trucks because they are left running and they are loud.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #10

Rexhall Owners Group
May be a bit too far south for you, but Harvest Moon RV park in Adairsville, GA is a good place to overnight. Real close to I-75, but far enough away to be quiet. Easy in and out. We use going to FL, but from Dayton OH.

Cracker Barrel's allow overnight parking at most locations. If that is an option for you, there is a CB in Athens TN. A quick call to them would confirm if they allow over night parking.

There is also a KOA at exit 62 off I-75 in TN. A bit pricey for an overnight, but the location is right!

Safe travels!
Old 02-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The parking sites at Cracker Barrels and the car side of Flying J’s are too short to accomodate your 45 foot Essex. Walmarts have much more space, are usually right off the highway, and are easy to get in and out of. Better yet, they are usually spaced every 25-50 miles along a major interstate, so that you can drive as long as you wish and then get off at the next WM. Very easy and convenient. Numerous apps including RV Parky can show you where they are and which ones aloow overnight parking. Best to call the store before arrival to verify permission as there are some Walmarts where it is not allowed.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 09:21 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have parked at numerous truck stops over the years and have not had even one trucker say anything negative to me. Most are very friendly. A lot of truck stops even have RV parking. Guess that means they want us there.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:35 AM   #13

Well you have options for places to stop. We live in Brighton, MI. As for the route, we have come down I-69 to I-65 several times. This year I-75 all the way. I-75 was much better. Indy, Louisville, Nashville we're all nightmares with terrible roads. I-75 was pretty darn good all the way. If you can hit Atlanta on the weekend that would be good. We sailed through on a Saturday morning around 9:30. 60-65 MPH all the way through.
Old 02-19-2018, 02:15 PM   #14

Thank you for all the replies and idea's. The Walmart thing might do the trick as I am also pulling my enclosed trailer. I do use the RV Parky app. Also thank you for the tip on I-75, I was considering 69 to 65 to 24 and 75, but hearing you on that note I might jump to 75 sooner. I am coming from the Grand Rapids side of the state, but not a big deal to head to I-75 sooner if its better roads. I am looking forward to the adventure as normally we would fly.

Appreciate all the feedback!!

Thank you,

Bret

Tags
florida