Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
Fleetwood Owners Club
Question Michigan to Yellowstone - HELP!

Well, I've read many of the Yellowstone posts, but we have a few questions. My husband and I have two weeks off work in mid July of 2011 and would like to go from the Detroit metro area to Yellowstone and back. What stops should we make along the way? What route do all of you recommend? We wouldn't mind a night or two here and there at a WalMart enroute, but we want full hookup when we stop to see the sights at Mt. Rushmore, the Badlands, Yellowstone, etc. PLEASE give me all of your recommendations! Thank you!

Born2RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #2
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it is two weeks I would not suggest you drive.. You'd no sooner get there than it is time to return. IF you can snag a few more days.. might be a good trip

What route depends on the time of year and I won't recommend.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:28 PM   #3
Freightliner Owners Club
I've done NJ to Yellowstone in 2 weeks so since you made the investment in a motorhome already you have no choice but to drive.

Check the Ystone website but you will probably have to make reservations for July 2011 sometime around February 15, 2011. Stay at the Fishing Bridge campground right in the park. You can take some great bus tours that pick you up right in the campground.

Mt. Rushmore and Devils Tower are great stops along the way. Also Custer State Park.

Safe travels!
Tom and Katharine
'07 Winnebago Tour 40TD, 400hp Cummins
RVing for 19 years & 150,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Will you be towing a car? Would be good if you have one for touring Ystone but not absolutely necessary. May make sense to stay in Ystone park for a couple nights but probably don't need more than that IMHO.

We stayed at Buffalo Bill State Park this summer which is east of Ystone by a couple hours and 15 minutes west of Cody, WY. A nice place to stay for the night although they didn't have full hookups (but you really don't need them if you're going to be driving a bunch since stopping at the dump station only takes a few minutes)

If you like hot springs, you could stop at Thermopolis, WY for a relaxing dip in the hot springs. Not a terribly interesting town though so maybe there are better options out there.
The Robsons of New England
Have kids, will travel!!
2009 Newmar 4154
Robsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:27 PM   #5
I highly suggest stopping at Devils tower. There is a federal campground there that is $6 a night if you have a national parks senior card. No hookups, but looking out the window to see the tower is worth it. I liked Thermopolis with the mineral spring bath. The Buffalo Bill Cody Museum in Cody takes 2 days to see, as there is a lot there. If your going to be west of Yellowstone at all, Idaho has the Craters of the moon National Monument with camping just like devils tower. If you have never been there, it is worth while as it does indeed look like moonscape with the exception of an occasional bush. Grizzly RV Park at the west entrance to Yellowstone is very well kept and only 4 blocks from the entrance. Enjoy
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
If you can look in a hurry, 3 full days in Yellowstone can take in the major attractions. That means 4 nights camping there(I would allow a week). Two travel days each way with both of you driving, is do-able. Overnight at quick off/on RV parks, leaves 7 days left for other adventures_aka Mt. Rushmore, Devils tower, etc. Your priorities should determine where you wish to spend your two weeks though, not my suggestions.
Reservation should be obtained for Fishing Bridge CG inside Yellowstone SOON if you already have your 2011 vacation time locked in.
Route, I80 is my preference. I80 to Rawlins, WY, then North to Riverton, Thermopolis, Cody, then West to Yellowstone. This route misses most mountain driving, instead taking you through rolling hills, and farmlands. It is 2 land highways, but all are/were in good condition. This route also takes you near every attraction previously mentioned.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 10:58 AM   #7
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would concur with the folks that say to visit Devil's Tower. We did it as a spur of the moment thing on our way back east after visiting Yellowstone, and I'm glad we didn't miss it. Also don't forget the Badlands, I don't know why, but I really enjoyed driving through Badlands National Park and wish we'd had time to get out and walk around a bit more.

As far as campgrounds, from our one time experience: Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone, Devil's Tower KOA and Rafter J in the Black Hills. While we stayed at Grizzly RV Park in West Yellowstone on our way in from the west, I don't know that I'd want to use that as a base to visit Yellowstone from, there'd be a lot of driving every day (not that there's not going to be a lot of driving anyway).
2007 Itasca Sunova 35J
2006 Saturn Vue
CurbCrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
Evergreen Owners Club
We just returned to the UP from out west a week ago. While I must travel north to south in Wisconsin, you can pick up I-90 in Toledo and take it all the way out. I must warn you though, there are some awful rough sections of that road in Minnesota but doable. I would allow 3 days of driving each way, unless you can put lots of hours behind the wheel. I allowed 2 days from the Black Hills home and would figure Yellowstone as another day west. We spent four days in the Hills seeing Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, Badlands, Devils Tower, Deadwood, etc. A must is driving the Needles Highway. Cannot be done in the coach you must do it in a car.
2015 Evergreen Bayhill

340 RK
DFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
Vintage RV Owners Club
Don't forget the Custer battlefield in eastern Montana unless you are going through Wyoming.

Planemech is offline   Reply With Quote