RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

Michigan Winters.

Hello.
Can anyone help me in this request. One of my brothers may take a job in Michigan this fall. He has been thinking about buying an RV to live in while working at new position, and was asking me what type of RV would be best in the cold weather conditions in Michigan.
I'm a RV owner for about 3 years now, so I don't think I'm that qualified to honestly answer his question, and I've never been to Michigan during the winter months.(yet I hear the summer is beautiful there)
I think his concern would be frozen pipes, and some of the research he's found about RV's is the Artic Package.

Would this be enough to keep pipes from freezing?
Any advice on heavy snow or other unforeseen hazards?

Any input appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Where abouts in Mich, Northern Mich is a whole lot different weather than Southern Mich. Most CG's close up any time after Labor Day. Wintering in any RV can be done, it just takes the right preparations.

grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

In any part of Michigan you need to be prepared for -20 temps in the winter, NOT wind chill but real temps. Problem is, if you don't prepare before the weather gets there you probably won't be able to when it's on it's way. Heat tape on pipes and probably an external 100# propane tank or two would be advisable. You can keep the wind and cold out from underneath the coach with straw bales (square ones) but it is also an invitation for furry friends as it is warm. Just some things to think about.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Need more details:

How many will be in the RV?
Where in Michigan?
What facilities are needed?

I camp in Michigan all year long, but I'm not LIVING in the RV.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:21 PM   #5

As stated, Michigan is not the place to live in during the winter. It gets bitter cold, winds, blizzards and lots of snow. The propane bill will be very high trying to heat any kind of RV. He might want to consider at least a mobile home. They're a little more home-like. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
As far as “brands” of RV’s built a little better insulated for cold weather camping Arctic Fox or it’s sister company ORV ( Outdoors RV). Thicker walls, thermal pane windows standard, full 5” roof. Good down to zero, but other precautions need to be done to get below zero like side skirting, rent a 150 gallon propane tank.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:05 PM   #7

Not too much different than what we have here in Wisconsin in the winter. Cold. And then even colder.

As mentioned already, one of the biggest problems is going to be finding a place to connect with running water. It can be done using enclosed/heated/insulated hydrants, but those are not that common. Most campgrounds simply winterize and close up when winter comes.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:38 PM   #8

When we lived in Michigan we had 'lake effect' snow. We had times where it was so deep we had to take a snow blower up on the roof. A RV roof isn't strong.
Old 06-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Something that has either a 500 gallon propane tank or an alternate heat source.
https://wordpress.com/posts/enjoying-life.net
spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #10

Location: Between Knoxville and Morristown, TN. A little place called Rutledge.
We camped in an a park that offered full year residence. Late one fall, as we were passing through, we saw one trailer already prepared for winter. They had installed foam/aluminum panels around the sides and straw bales to hold them in place. The sewer line was covered, as was the water line, by foam/aluminum panels. They did have multiple propane tanks lined up in front of their trailer. It was obvious they were settled down for the long term.

Our experience with cold was a 17 degree night in Williams AZ when our door froze shut, the water hose froze, and the sewer pipe stopped. Ended up putting them in the shower since they wouldn't defrost. They were still frozen when we stopped several hours later.
SteveNSue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 09:53 PM   #11

Straw bales would really attract mice and would be a fire hazard.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:33 AM   #12

Not sure what part of Michigan but will find out. As far as number of persons it will be himself. From the responses I've received, I've got the feeling he may want to reconsider this option.
We are not "young men" at this point in our life's anymore!
Old 06-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #13

I went to school at Michigan Tech in the Keweenaw Peninsula. Last two terms I decided to move off campus to a small log cabin that was actually a rental during the summer for tourists. I was there in the off season so the elderly owners were glad to have somebody use it. It was on the shore of Lake Superior.

There use to be a lot of such cabins around Michigan. Don't know if they exist anymore or not but something like this may be an option.

TCollins is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter