Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #1

Million Dollar Highway CO 550

We are making some plans which include southwestern Colorado in early September. I have heard Highway 550 from Durango to Montrose can be pretty hairy for a big rig and towed. Any comments? Also, is early September too early to see the Aspen colors?

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 01:06 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by akadeadeye View Post
We are making some plans which include southwestern Colorado in early September. I have heard Highway 550 from Durango to Montrose can be pretty hairy for a big rig and towed. Any comments? Also, is early September too early to see the Aspen colors?

Don

Very. Hairy, be extremely you don't heat up brakes, if you do you have no brakes. Some curves are sharp you can read your own license plates.
SonnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:18 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Exclamation Park the Coach........

We did this last fall, Sept/October, We stayed at the KOA in Cortez, Co. In my opinion, this is a road trip for your TOAD, so you can enjoy all the different towns and attractions, Route 145 out of Cortez, to r.62, to r. 550 to Durango, and r. 160 back to Cortez. We visited all the towns along the way, and went back to Durango the next day......... Some of the most scenic roads I have ever driven on, and I would not of wanted to be driving my Coach on any of them, ...... other than 160 across the bottom U.S. Route 550 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Telluride is a must, The gondola is free to ride Gondola | Telluride.com
And a new Auto of some sorts, in front of a local tavern.....that I have never seen.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Southwest Colarado.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	62088   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03483.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	62089  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03722.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	320.0 KB
ID:	62090  
Old 05-04-2014, 02:11 PM   #4

Color in that area begins mid-Sept and it's gorgeous.

From Durango to Montrose, the 'scary' part is from Silverton to Ouray. Once you get to Ouray it's basically flat to Montrose. From Durango to Silverton it's a climb but not bad. We've driven it a few times with our 40' but we're also used to mountain driving and love it. Silverton is a neat little town to spend a night or two midway.

From Silverton you'll be hugging the hillside for the most part so you won't be on the steep drop-off part that is intimidating as you would if coming from the other direction. There are just a couple pull-offs from Silverton to Ouray and there are no shoulders. RVers drive it all the time so it can be done, preferably during the week.

If you're not comfortable or experienced with mountain driving, I would advise an alternative, and it's to go over to Cortez and then take Hwy 145 into Ridgeway. You'll still have a climb but it doesn't seem as bad.

If you have time before your trip, consider purchasing the 'Mountain Directory' which will give a mile by mile for many of the western roads. Have a good trip!

Mountain Driving Guide for Truckers, RV and Motorhome Drivers
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:19 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
In Silverton we had a ball when we rented a jeep and went up into the mountains on the "Alpine Loop".
TarpinHill Jct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:24 PM   #6

We have pulled our 31' 5th wheel both directions on many occasions' perhaps not the same as a MH pulling a toad but it's not such a bad drive. A turbo or exhaust brake is very handy in some places. The views, especially in the fall when the aspens are turning, is spectacular in many places. Be sure and spend a little time in Silverton. We have stayed in Ouray many times, as well as Durango. I love that country!
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Looks like a pretty quite day in Telluride, Co. today Telluride Live Webcam | Telluride.com
Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM   #8

Wow! Thanks for the replies. After viewing some of the pictures on Wikipedia that Palehorse posted, I think I will recalculate our route. Sheer drop offs on a narrow road with no shoulders are not on my agenda for a relaxing drive. Definitely a toad drive.....at best!

Recalculating................

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The steam locomotive from Durango to Silverton was featured in Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. It's a fun and scenic ride. When we did it, you could train both ways, or train one way and bus the other. The bus ride shortens the day. http://m.durangotrain.com

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-04-2014, 04:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Interesting, Air baron just traveled this road yesterday http://www.irv2.com/forums/f42/milli...ml#post2037222
Old 05-04-2014, 04:27 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Smart choice, Akadeadeye. I have driven that route in the toad. I would not drive my motorhome between Silverton and Ouray. Palehorse gave good advice, I suggest following it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote