Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM   #1

Minneapolis, MN to Sacramanto, CA

so, here I am, bought the RV, did about a week of travel in Illinois, parked the RV in Minneapolis, headed home for some work and now I'll be heading back to Minneapolis on August 4th to start the first big trip - excitement!
I just started to lay out the basics, the trip will be about 2000 to 2500mls in 3.5 weeks.
There's a number of routes I can take, but I'd like to know from the more experienced north American travelers: What route would you choose? What sites would you recommend to visit on this cross country trip? Any campgrounds/boondocking areas to recommend?

cheers,
Matt
Matt_RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2016, 11:42 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
First, Congrats!

Second, you'll want to pick how you enter California. You could enter from Oregon, upper nevada, or more south like via barstow, but this would likely take you far out of the way.

Good Sams lays it out like this (attached image) but if you wanted to visit any state outside of this route, there are other ways depending on time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capturesacremento.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	330.4 KB
ID:	133689  
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 11:46 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
For instance if you wanted to visit portland , you could take the north route and come right past the Tetons, and yellowstone, over to Oregon then south through Eugene - although I hear Grants Pass is somewhat of an underwear stainer.. But man on man wouldn't the northern red forest be amazing!

Also, in California, there is no overnight parking by ordinance. Although we've been known to skirt this rule staying hidden behind a walmart once or twice in small towns, you still stand the chance of being booted.

Also, keep to that 55mph.. the police aren't joking about that one.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 04:51 PM   #4

Hey Plasma, thanks for the response! Yea, I'm aware of the different possible routes, that's why I posted to see which one you guys would like best.
However I guess I'll go with an "almost" direct route, avoiding the interstates where possible. Up to now I have Mount Rushmore and the Yellowstone National Park on my list. The "direct" route somewhat leads through the heart of Yellowstone and I should be able to spend a few days there.
I'll want to save California and the northbound route to Seattle for another trip, so I'll probably won't get to the coast this time.

cheers,
Matt
Old 07-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
I would say, hit Mt Rushmore and Yellowstone. From Yellowstone you can go through Idaho along the Snake river- beautiful there. Unless you head into Oregon, that Nevada section is dessert and can be pretty hot and not a lot of fun. You COULD drive highway 50- called the loneliest road-look it up first, pick up the passport type book first and get it stamped along the route- send it in when you are finished and you get a certificate from the State of Nevada. If you have 3.5 weeks just the one way- you should have no trouble. Your size and no tow- you should have no issues - we are 43"ft + towing so we need to know where we will be so we fit. Have a great trip- if you are leaving real soon, you might miss the heat for next week here (Sac) 100-106 predicted.
mernmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 08:51 AM   #6

thanks mernb! The lonely road sounds like a plan!

cheers,
Matt
Old 07-27-2016, 04:33 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Hey Matt sounds like a blast, I used to drive over the road (18 wheeler) I would go south towards Worthington Minn (169) to 80 west to rapid city big decision here but I would go So of Rapid City to Hot Springs into Wy, there's a huge rock, boulder that you can climb up too the top and see carvings from people that crossed the states in covered wagons, its not to far into WY. Go down to Rawlins and cross over to Utah into Nevada and into CA.
I plan on going west to Helena Montana then south on 15 to Az. its only 170 mile different than the way we went last year. Much more picturesque.
Just a word of advice start heading down the mountains slowly, there's always the Run-A-Way lanes if needed. Never happened to me thank heavens I started down in granny gear. Better safe than sorry.
I can't find my Atlas right now, if interested I can give you all the hwys for that route.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote