Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2017, 07:23 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Moab, UT to SW Washington State

Greetings All,

Headed out Sunday to Moab, Utah from OKC by way of Durango, CO and Monument Valley, UT. Pulling my Jeep TJ, so excited for the trip. When we leave Moab, we are heading to SW Washington State and on the Columbia River. I am asking for suggestions on the route from Moab to Washington and things to stop and see or spend the night on the trip there. Plan to take at least four days to get there.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2017, 09:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We take US 6 to Spanish Forks. Some times to Wendover UT, or to Twin Falls. We like a the 3 Island SP or a small CG in Tuttle ID exit 147 on I 84. Follow 84 to Portland or better yet crosss the Columbia at Hermiston and take WA 14. Google the Columbia River Gorge. Sam Hill, Mary Hill, Hood River, The Dalles, Bridge of the Gods, Multnomah Falls, MT Hood. To borrow a phrase form Texas, the George is like a whole new country. Vist one of the dams and Locks ~100' lifts, and the fish hatcheries. I've been here 40 + years and have just started to explore the PNW.
Enjoy your trip to my back yard.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 AM   #3

When you leave Moab go to I-70 then take us 6 via Price into Spanish Fork. This will allow you catch i-15 North.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have any interest in history, and you're traveling I-84 through Idaho, I highly recommend getting off the interstate and following US 30 through Twin Falls and west. There are many opportunities to see the remnants of the Oregon Trail, with parks and interpretive centers along the way with short side trips. US 30 through here has excellent scenery and is a relaxing drive.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

SLC pick up I84 west. At Ontario you have choices. US20, US26 or continue on I84. 20 and 26 west will take you wcross Oregon, either on 20 high desert, or 26 down past John Day fossle beds. Once you hit US97 north, again choices. 26 into east Portland or continue across the mountains to I5 north. Personally, I would take 20 or 26 across MtHood to PDX.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:22 AM   #6

We stayed at Brigham City and went to the Golden Spike National Historic Sight. It was a day well spent for us. Also, stayed in Mountain Home Idaho and went over to the Bruneau Dunes State Park. It was interesting.
Then Pendleton Oregon had a few interesting attractions that interested us.

Just my two cents.
2013 Newell #1472
2006 Travel Supreme Select
Dale F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 07:50 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all so much for your suggestions!!
Old 05-27-2017, 07:55 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC0046 View Post
Greetings All,

Headed out Sunday to Moab, Utah from OKC by way of Durango, CO and Monument Valley, UT. Pulling my Jeep TJ, so excited for the trip. When we leave Moab, we are heading to SW Washington State and on the Columbia River. I am asking for suggestions on the route from Moab to Washington and things to stop and see or spend the night on the trip there. Plan to take at least four days to get there.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

So many really neat places in Washington. Look up Palouse Falls for something very unusual, in the SE part of the state, but you may well travel close by. A fact about Washington State: It has EVERY known geological feature present on the earth today within its boundaries. Deserts, rain forests, glaciers, volcanos and on and on. You will not be disappointed.

MrB1LL
Mrb1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:52 AM   #9

One route I have taken is 191/6 to Salt lake City (much to see there) then 15 to Dillon (Bannack and Virginia City ghost towns then 90 to Missoula and Lolo Pass (Lewis an Clark trail) 12 to Clarkston then down to Columbia River. Intrresting scenery and historic sights.
Old 05-27-2017, 11:30 AM   #10

We went up 15 from the Monument Valley area last summer in late afternoon/evening and about 40 or 50 miles before SLC was heavy traffic. LA, Atlanta, Denver, Chicago, traffic. It may have just been the time of day, but I thought you might want to know and adjust if possible. I didn't enjoy that part of the trip.

Aside from that, it's all beautiful country. Enjoy it.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote