Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #1

My wife and I are planning a trip to Moab, UT, this summer. Was just wondering how many days we should plan on staying, if we visit both national parks, and local area. Also, can anyone recommend a good campground in the Moab area. Thanks!!
Gerry
GerrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:33 PM   #2

My wife and I are planning a trip to Moab, UT, this summer. Was just wondering how many days we should plan on staying, if we visit both national parks, and local area. Also, can anyone recommend a good campground in the Moab area. Thanks!!
Gerry
GerrySr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 04:36 AM   #3

There are quite a few National forest type campgrounds along the Colorado upstream from Moab. Like 10 different places. No hookups, but some right on the river, deep in the canyon. Late afternoon shade was great. Of course there are campgrounds at Canyonlands, Arches, and Dead Horse Point State Park. Dead horse is worth a mention. There are 15 amp electric hookups there. Not enough for full tilt A/C, but enough to keep the batteries up and watch TV. Nice covered and lit picnic tables too.

Of course, that's the rough end of the scale. Others can tell you about the RV parking lots, I mean RV parks, in town.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 06:44 AM   #4

Gerry,

We have visited Moab the past 3 summers and we have spent as little as 3 days and as long as a week on each visit and we have not ran out of things to keep us busy and interested. To see only a small part of both parks and the local area I would suggest a minimum of 3 full days but if time permits and you like hiking and/or off road 4 wheeling I would plan on at least a week. The thing to remember is it is a desert and it is very hot and dry in the summer and you will need to take lots of water with you. If you have time, we took a day and drove up into La Sal Mountains to cool off and found a beautiful mountain lake and I wish I had taken a boat and fishing equipment with me.

We like lots of air conditioning and swimming pools to cool us off after hiking in the parks all day so we stay at RV parks with 50 amp service.. We have stayed at Moab Valley RV & Campark www.moabvalleyrv.com and Canyonlands Campground & RV Park www.canyonlandsrv.com . Both were nice and had good facilities.

Moab Valley is newer and on the north edge of town next to the Colorado River and close to Arches National Park entry. I have read some reviews from people that had problems with mosquitoes there but we didn't have any problem in late August this year. There are several trees with shade and large easy pull through sites for large rigs. They have a really nice large pool.

Canyonlands RV park is older with smaller pull through sites but has lots of large trees for plenty of shade which helps out a lot when you are trying to keep the RV cool in July. 40 foot and larger RVs can have a bit of a problem getting around in the park. It is right in town with restaurants and shopping close by. You have to keep a close eye out for their sign when you first try to find it since you pull through a gas station to get to it. The 4th of July fireworks in 2003 were on the cliffs not far from the park and we got a great view.

Have fun.
Fred
Old 01-16-2005, 06:25 PM   #5

We have a rally each May and we stay at Portal CG. I would not hesitate to recommend it.
Wingrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Gerald,

Moab is a great place. We've stayed there as little as 2 nights (pit stop on the way elsewhere) to 10 days when we were shooting commercials with a crew. Exactly how long you want to stay there is going to depend upon what kind of things you like to do. Moab is great red rock country and there are tons of off-road trails in the area. If you have a Jeep and love to off-road you could spend all summer there. If you're not into that, you may only want to do a few days.

However, not all of the Moab area requires 4WD to enjoy. Dead Horse Point State Park overlooks the Colorado River gooseneck area and is accessible by any kind of car. Canyonlands National Park is divided into two areas - The Needles District and Island in the Sky District. The Needles is a 4WD type of place but Island in the Sky is a paved 2WD area that looks out over the White Rim area as well as the confluence of the Colorado and Green Rivers. Arches National Park is also a paved 2WD area.

If you do want to 4WD, but don't have an SUV you can rent one in the area. In that case you have a wealth of trails available. My favorite all day trip is to drive down the 2 lane blacktop Potash Road past the 1,000 year old pictographs and dinosaur tracks near the road to Poison Spider Mesa. Then take the Long Canyon Trail up to Dead Horse Point State Park and then the Island In the Sky section of Canyonlands Nat'l Park. After an early lunch, head down through Schaefer Trail into the White Rim area of Canyonlands. Drive around "in" the canyon, stopping off at the various overlooks. We generally go as far as Musselman Arch if we're tight on time but have gone all the way to Monument Basin once. Then return to Moab via the Potash Trail. You will need guidebooks but there are plenty of these available at the Moab Visitor's Center and I'm sure you can pre-order them as well. Another nice 1/2 day 4WD trip is the Gemini Bridges/Bull Canyon trail.

Of course, there is the Colorado River. If you drive the River Road (UT-128) you will go past tons of western scenery. You can drive out to Hittle Bottom and back, take the LaSal mountain loop, go see the Cisco ghost town, etc. You can take a trip on a jet boat or go rubber rafting on the Colorado River. There were tons of western films shot here and you can pick up guidebooks at the visitor's center telling you all the exact locations. Most of the sets are gone now but they may even be filming something when you're there. You never know.

I would allow 1 day for Arches (be sure to take the Delicate Arch trail for the sunset pictures), 1 day for the Long Canyon/Canyonlands loop, 1 day for the river and/or a second 4WD trail, and 1 day just to do misc "stuff" - at the very minimum. Allow more if you have the time or really get into off-roading.

We've done plenty of this in the past with a 4WD Suburban but stayed at motels. We haven't yet done this with an RV so I can't give you any experience on which RV park is best, but Portal RV Park came highly recommended to me by other RVers so we will be staying there this summer when we go to Moab.

You can check at www.moab.net and www.moabchamber.com for more visitor info as well as the NPS sites for Arches and Canyonlands. I don't know where you are coming from or what kind of facilities you are looking for but, as mentioned previously, there are quite a few primitive BLM sites along the Colorado River on UT-128 also.

Might I suggest that you modify your signature to include some info on your RV in your signature like most members do. That way when you ask a question the other RVers will no better how to direct their answers.

You WILL enjoy Moab. It's a great place.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We stayed at Canyonlands last summer for 3 nights. The Moab area has lots to see and do. That was sufficient for a first time but we could have easily stayed more nights. We drove to Zion from Moab and stayed 3 nights.
We both agree that we tried go to too many places last summer. It was fun, though. We like Canyonlands because of the shade and convenience to things.
Old 01-22-2005, 12:09 PM   #8

Yoikes! All these people playing in my backyard!
And I haven't even been over there yet. Still exploring closer to home. And taking the ATV's with us.
Chet
Old 01-29-2005, 08:24 AM   #9

Let me second the recommendation for Dead Horse Point State Park - but - you will usually need reservations. The campground is small and it fills up quickly. I tried to get in there on 2 occasions when passing thru the area from other Utah locations, and it was full both times. Finally made a reservation. Great views from the overlooks. Moab will be hot in the summer!!
Old 01-29-2005, 04:09 PM   #10

Define "hot".
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:24 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Ken Lenger:
Define "hot". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Moab has got to be much like home to you. I've been in Tucson and Moab in July and they are similar. Both have lots of sun and temps will probably be in the 90s most of the day and humidity will be low so it's a dry heat so you won't sweat so much but you'll dehydrate just the same. The key is to wear a hat to keep the sun off your head and drink lots of water.

It is an enjoyable place though and I'll take 110 degree heat with 15% humidity any day over 85 degree heat with 80% humidity any day.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 07:29 AM   #12

Ken - That's HOT by Colorado standards I guess that would be anything over 90!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:33 PM   #13

I've been there in July more than once and yes it is hot. I rode the White Rim trail on my dual-sport and only saw one jeep. I left before dawn and took too many scenic breaks. I was really pushing when the heat was cranking at noon and I still had another hour or two until I would arrive back at Dead Horse. Night time temps were around upper 70's/low 80's and I didn't have A/C.
Dead horse only has a 110 outlet in around the picnic table pavilion. Bring all of your water.
I tend to stay in the mountains when there in the summer. Spring and Fall are my favorite times there. Also more crowded though at that time of year. Areas like Bryce Canyon will be nice in July.