Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 05:37 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Moab Utah boondocking

Anyone have boondocking locations near Moab Utah that they would share? We plan to visit Canyonlands and Arches NPs. State or Forest Service campgrounds would also be fine, dont need any hookups.
I understand we are too long to stay in the NP campgrounds being we are 35 ft.

Thanks in advance.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Community Administrator

We don't boondock so I can't help you there. Don't know when you're going but it's in the high 90's. I'll be there in about 10 days and have booked into Spanish Trail. PA rate is $22 you'll probably spend more than that for fuel for the genny. Just a thought.

Ps

35' is not too big for NP's.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Canyonlands website says 28ft. max unless something has changed.
Dont see how I could burn $22. a day on fuel for the genny. Thanks anyway.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:46 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound
Canyonlands website says 28ft. max unless something has changed.
Dont see how I could burn $22. a day on fuel for the genny. Thanks anyway.
You are correct about the 28'. I've been to a number of others that went upto 40'. They were full hookups. Good luck and have a great time.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
Anyone have boondocking locations near Moab Utah that they would share? We plan to visit Canyonlands and Arches NPs. State or Forest Service campgrounds would also be fine, dont need any hookups.

Thanks in advance.
In Moab try the Sand Flats Recreation Area.......easy to get to just ask directions.
OK RV is Passport America and is near the Spanish Trail Arena
Out Hwy 128 between hwy 191 and Dewey are many sites along the Colorado River.
Another is to go out 128 toward Dewey and turn South on Onion Creek Rd. There are a few sites out there before the road gets too steep.
Take hwy 313 off 191 North of Moab out to Dead Horse State park but call first to make sure vacancy.
If you can't find a place to dry camp near Moab then you ain't looking too hard

Also, pretty desolate but try yellow Cat area too.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #6

When we were at Arches in 2010 we dry camped not too far from the entrance, a few miles south of it. ALso at Canyonlands I saw motorhomes at their dry camping area.
It was a dirt/rock road to get to it but not bad at all!

Jo
Jody & Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound

Thanks in advance.
Was in Moab over Easter weekend. We dry camped on BLM land at Dewey Bridge. The attached pic is a list of all BLM campgrounds on Hwy 128 and the distances given are from Moab. Hope this helps. If the pic doesn't attach, PM me and I'll shoot it to ya.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1450709238.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	531.0 KB
ID:	22315
Old 06-15-2012, 10:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
We spent this past week in Moab. Lots of BLM campsite, those mentioned above as well as many more.

We drove the jeep up to the dry campgound in arches national park, and talked to the camphost. There are at least 10 40 foot sites, and also a half dozen at 36'. No problem getting a big rig in there. Call ahead, they are probably full 6 months in advance.

Dead Horse point has few if any big rig sites, we drove thru there also. Full with a capitol F too, probably book 8 months in advance. We tried in Februyary to get a reservation for this past week, it was full.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Real boondocking around Moab got shut down pretty hard a couple of years ago. Heres a link showing a map of what's left for boondocking and a list of BLM campgrounds.

I've stayed at Horse Thief, Lone Mesa and Ken's lake, all are nice with Ken's Lake being closest to town, Horse Thief has the best shot of having an open space and is north of town quite a ways but is very close to Dead Horse Point, quite a few larger spaces.
If you decide to think about hookups so you can leave an AC or two running during the day so you're not playing catchup in the evenings. Personally I like Canyonlands Campground, right in Moab within walking distance of Moab Brewery and City Market. Slickrock is a bit north but is also nice.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boondocking