Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 12:31 PM   #1

Moab: Where to Camp with a Class A and Trail Motorcycles?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Moab, Canyonlands and Arches sometime in March. We have a 36’ class A Monaco Windsor that will be towing a trailer. We’re interested in the many 4x4 or motorcycle trails in the area. My research has come up with some options but since neither of us have been to Moab before, it’s hard to determine where we should focus during this first trip. We’ve driven our RV on dirt roads although washboard gets pretty rough. Ideally, we’d prefer well-maintained roads, but short distances (a few miles) on washboard are fine. We’re also open to boondocking sites although I think my husband would prefer places I could reserve. Of course we’re also ok with RV parks if they have decent trail access. Quality over cost is fine by me, so the nightly fees of some parks is ok.

It’s an overwhelming endeavor sorting this out. Any input, advice, suggestions, recommendations are all welcome and very much appreciated!
— Abby
LunarLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 12:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarLight View Post
My husband and I are planning a trip to Moab, Canyonlands and Arches sometime in March. We have a 36’ class A Monaco Windsor that will be towing a trailer. We’re interested in the many 4x4 or motorcycle trails in the area. My research has come up with some options but since neither of us have been to Moab before, it’s hard to determine where we should focus during this first trip. We’ve driven our RV on dirt roads although washboard gets pretty rough. Ideally, we’d prefer well-maintained roads, but short distances (a few miles) on washboard are fine. We’re also open to boondocking sites although I think my husband would prefer places I could reserve. Of course we’re also ok with RV parks if they have decent trail access. Quality over cost is fine by me, so the nightly fees of some parks is ok.

It’s an overwhelming endeavor sorting this out. Any input, advice, suggestions, recommendations are all welcome and very much appreciated!
— Abby
No answer here from Me but 4runnerguy has a very good review here - https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...d/29448394.cfm

Very complete post with most information I am Aware of.

Hope this Helps,
Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:55 PM   #3

Will I was there a couple of years ago and I did not want to stay in the MOAB area. To many off road vehicles in the camp grounds and we wanted a quiet place to stay, with full hook-ups. So, we stayed at the KOA in Green River Utah. Green River UT is about 52 miles north of Moab off of I70.

We visited the ARCHES, Canyonland and Dead Horse Point State Park while there these are all off of 191 state route.

I would also research RV PARK REVIEWS to see what people have posted about MOAB and things to do and stay!
Old 12-13-2019, 12:58 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
We stayed at https://www.moabrimcampark.com/
Would go back, maybe not the greatest but only there to sleep. South of town couple of miles on a slight hill. Lot of traffic noise, but it dies down at night. The host is a character with a interesting history. Decent wifi but we use our own. Sites are well kept, decent restrooms. Good power, and water pressure. Most sites are FHU and dump station on site. Some with cable TV.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:11 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
We stayed at Spanish Trail RV Park and will stay there next time. I know you said March but be aware the Easter Jeep Safari is April 4-12. Moab may start filling up the last of March. I would make my reservation as soon as possible.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:18 AM   #6

Portal rv park is nice. Great location. Also, I have seen Class A’s boondocking in the Big Bend and Oak Grove campgrounds on the river East of town.
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:30 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lone Mesa Campground on the way to Dead Horse and Canyonlands is a good place to boondock.
Old 12-15-2019, 08:09 PM   #8

Checkout Archview RV Park, if your bikes aren't lic for roads there is great access to the trails. The park is quiet at night even tho you can ride right out of the park.
01blueox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:23 PM   #9

This may help in your planning. Be aware of what trails you'll be allowed on and please, please stay on the trails. The soil in the area is very fragile.

https://www.discovermoab.com/motorcycle-trail-riding/
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
We camped at Portal RV resort many times. Large sites, good views, occasionally see deer, convenient, very good restaurant/bar at its entrance, nice pool/hot tub, dog area, etc. It is more expensive than most in area....get what you pay for. It is a long walk to town. Not a bad bike ride. One or two campgrounds are closer to downtown and are easily walkable. We have never had an issue driving to town and getting a parking spot.

Portal has 2 areas. one is the older section which is gravel. Good for smaller RVs/pop-ups/campers. We stay in the newer owner section. Large concrete pads, nice scenery/plants, area has it own pool, doggy park, walking trail, etc. It is the more expensive section.

I can't figure out how to get the picture here, but check my registry-Tiffin. The picture with the canyon wall is our last Portal RV camp site.

Have fun. Make sure you go to Castle Valley. A lot of John Wayne and other movies were filmed there. Castle Valley Winery is a fun stop too.
BeachedTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:55 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivykrewe View Post
We stayed at Spanish Trail RV Park and will stay there next time. I know you said March but be aware the Easter Jeep Safari is April 4-12. Moab may start filling up the last of March. I would make my reservation as soon as possible.
x2 .... have stayed there several times. Good spot.
SeeTheUSA is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a