Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #1

We may be PCS'ing (moving) in JAN 09. Not sure where yet but will want to take a few weeks and go from Augusta GA to San Antonio TX taking a couple of weeks. Looks like a good route in JAN would be across I-10 area......perhaps Mobile then on...anyone have some ood stops along I-10 they would recommend...some must stop parks?

thanks

Forest River Sierra 35'11" 5th
Flametheus6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2008, 12:08 PM   #2

We may be PCS'ing (moving) in JAN 09. Not sure where yet but will want to take a few weeks and go from Augusta GA to San Antonio TX taking a couple of weeks. Looks like a good route in JAN would be across I-10 area......perhaps Mobile then on...anyone have some ood stops along I-10 they would recommend...some must stop parks?

thanks

Old 08-31-2008, 03:10 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
In Mobile, we liked the USS Alabama complex which also has some aircraft and the USS Drum sub. In Theodore, AL is the Bellingrath Gardens and Home where the first owners of Coca-Cola lived.

New Orleans is another must stop. I can't pass up Cafe Du Monde and miss on a a beignet.

Hopefully Gustav won't do too much damage.
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 04:32 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
On the way through make it a point to stop in Pensacola. It is a beautiful town with some great restaurnts downtown. The air museum on the Naval Station is unbelievable, and free.
lthrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:28 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
South of Tallahassee on US 98 is Ho Hum RV Park at Carrabelle. Right on the Gulf, about $25 a night. Not a "resort park", just beautiful scenery. Does have clean restrooms. Just a nice place to get away from it all for some R & R for a couple of days. Good restaurants there or a short drive to Apalachicola.

As mentioned the Air Museum at Pensacola NAS is great. I believe that have a military campground on base.

Payne's RV Park at the Theodore exit in Mobile is good place to stay that is convenient to Bellingrath Gardens.

One of our stopover points for trips to San Antonio is Lakeside RV Park in Livingston, LA. They have a nice lake, concrete sidewalk around the lake, clean, well stocked little store with propane available on site. At exit 22 on I-12 they are convenient to Baton Rouge for a night out if desired. There is a J Alexander's a couple exits south on I-10 (from the western I-10/12 interchange - Baton Rouge - I-10 exit 162 at the Mall of Louisiana - you could spend a couple of days in that mall) that have those mouth watering steaks and unbelievably good carrot cake.

Our other stopover spot is Gulf Coast RV Resort in Beaumont, TX. Clean, concrete pads, all the amenities and pancakes for breakfast.

Both Lakeside and Gulf Coast are Good Sam and Passport America parks.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 11:58 AM   #6

Use the military campgrounds since active duty has priority. Get off I-10 in the Florida panhandle and drive along the coast. Beautiful beaches along there. Blue Angel Park (military)in Pensacola has the best view of the water at a decent price.

Space Center just south of Houston is interesting as is Galveston Island. Send for the Texas Highway Departments travel book that tells about each town in Texas. Sorry can't think of the name but I'm sure someone from Texas knows.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 12:01 PM   #7

OH forgot to add that January is "the season" all along the coast so keep that in mind when looking for a place to stay. Active duty still has priority in the military parks though.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #8

Thanks all....good stuff.

Old 09-06-2008, 10:04 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to GraciesMom Send a message via Yahoo to GraciesMom
I will probably kick myself the next time I try to make a reservation and there's no available space, but you MUST go to Dauphin Island off the coast of Mobile. They have a nice little city-managed RV park there and the beaches are quiet, uncrowded and beautiful. All the pleasures of the gulf without the tourist traps.