Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2016, 09:45 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Montgomery, AL campground suggestions

Going to see family at Xmas in Montgomery (coming from FL so we hope it stays warm enough). The family is actually a little closer to Woods RV park, but I researched an old thread and Capital City CG looks good. Does anyone have any advice or knowledge about Woods RV? The family member who lives there, but knows NOTHING about RVing, advises against Woods RV. Not sure if I should listen to them, and would be willing to stay elsewhere if it is not so good. It will only be for a long weekend, and don't expect to use many amenities if that makes a difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2016, 09:53 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
If I were looking for a campground near Montgomery - I'd head for Gunter Hill Campground. It's a Army Corps of Engineers park. The facilities are gorgeous - huge, well dispersed sites with nice concrete pads and full hookups. We stayed there in February of 2016 while traveling back to Michigan after a couple of months in Florida. According to my trip log - it was $24 for the night.

Here's a link to a couple of pictures and a blog post about our stay there.
Old 11-22-2016, 04:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceNorman View Post
If I were looking for a campground near Montgomery - I'd head for Gunter Hill Campground. It's a Army Corps of Engineers park. The facilities are gorgeous - huge, well dispersed sites with nice concrete pads and full hookups. We stayed there in February of 2016 while traveling back to Michigan after a couple of months in Florida. According to my trip log - it was $24 for the night.

Here's a link to a couple of pictures and a blog post about our stay there.
+1 - it was $12 for me with the Old Man Pass
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 05:13 AM   #4
paz

We have stayed at The Woods on several occasions. The sites are all full hookup, pull-throughs. They are long, level and fairly widely spaced. IMO, the only downside to The Woods is it is close to the interstate and there is a lot of traffic noise all day and all night.

The COE would probably be nicer and quieter, but it sounds like the location of The Woods might be closer to your family. The COE website says it is open all year, but when you try to reserve a site, there are no sites available until March. I'm guessing they're open as the website says, but they don't accept reservations during the winter and the sites are first come-first served.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 06:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
We have stayed at The Woods on several occasions. The sites are all full hookup, pull-throughs. They are long, level and fairly widely spaced. IMO, the only downside to The Woods is it is close to the interstate and there is a lot of traffic noise all day and all night.

The COE would probably be nicer and quieter, but it sounds like the location of The Woods might be closer to your family. The COE website says it is open all year, but when you try to reserve a site, there are no sites available until March. I'm guessing they're open as the website says, but they don't accept reservations during the winter and the sites are first come-first served.
I don't know why, but I tried some random dates in Deember and January and there was a lot of sites available.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:16 AM   #6

From our blog entry, 2014:

Feeling beat-up after our time at W. W. Williams’ Camp Parking Lot, we made a quick run up U.S. 231 about halfway to Wetumpka to Capital City RV Park.

The park has 88 FHU pull-through sites each with a gravel pad, a concrete patio, one tree and one bush. At our site, number 26, connections were correct. It’s pet-friendly, with all of seven doggie-walk areas, and inside the office building there’s a big-screen TV, lots of seating, laundromat and restroom/showers. The facilites, indeed the entire park, is immaculate. A nice plus is free WIFI; a repeater might be necessary to make it work ok.

It’s sort of a parking lot with sites, which is fairly unadvoidable, but the trees, bushes and tiny yards really break it up so it’s not just a parking lot.

It’s a nice park to stop in while traveling or to stay a week or so while visiting the Montgomery area. We’ll return if passing through the area.

4655 Old Wetumpka Hwy.

Montgomery, AL 36110

334-271-8063 877-271-8026

www.capitalcityrvpark.net
Old 11-22-2016, 10:11 AM   #7

We are at Gunter Hill right now. It is an awesome COE campground with full hookups (Catoma Campground), large concrete pads, pull thrus and back ins (some on the water), and some sites are satellite friendly if you have a roof top dish. It is out past the Montgomery airport. We have also stayed at Capitol RV Park when we cannot get into Gunter Hill. It is also nice but a different type of campground from Gunter Hill.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 08:41 PM   #8

Gunter Hill is a COE campground on the Alabama River on the west side of Montgomery, just west of Maxwell AFB. If you camp there get reservations in the Catoma Loop, it is all full hookup, level concrete pads, nice asphalt paved roads built about 5 years ago. The Antioch Loop is the older loop with gravel pads, gravel roads and electric and water only with dump stations. The only issue you may have is that they lock the gates from 10:00pm to 6:00am. The only other issue is in the summer time there is a car race track nearby and on weekends racing often goes to midnight and it can be very noisy. Price is $24 or $12 with America the Beautiful senior pass. Temps should be in the upper 60s/low 70s daytime and upper 30/low 40's at night in late December BTW there ARE gators in the river although not a threat. Make your reservations with http://recreation.gov .

Enjoy the holiday with the family, I will be headed to NW Houston for Christmas week with DD and family in Magnolia, TX, a 800+ drive each way. I stay at Gunter Hill 1 night going in each direction every trip.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:36 AM   #9
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
I don't know why, but I tried some random dates in Deember and January and there was a lot of sites available.
Maybe recreation.gov website was having difficulties the day I tried.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 10:06 AM   #10

The Antioch Loop at Gunter Hill COE is closed during the winter.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:42 PM   #11

We stayed at the Woods in late Sept for a couple days. Not the best campground I ever stayed in, but it was level with plenty of space between sites and the folks were friendly. Best of all it was close to my family.

I will check out the COE campground next time, but would have no issue with staying at the Woods again.
mineralslee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:03 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Appreciate all the responses. We decided to stay at Capital City. Good to know about Gunter Hill for the future though.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbones View Post
Appreciate all the responses. We decided to stay at Capital City. Good to know about Gunter Hill for the future though.
Just a quick note to say that Capital City was a nice clean park. Not near anything, but that didn't matter much because as it turns out we were closer to family than Woods would have been. We barely spent time at the actual CG, but I could recommend them. Also with Good Sam discount, it was only $27/night. Thanks again for the responses.

Tags
campground