Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2016, 04:00 PM   #1

Monument Valley

We've been to almost all the attractions around Monument Valley, but we've never seen it even though my wife has wanted to for many years. I'm thinking this may be the year on our way back from WV, SC, FL, GA, and AL to OR as there is nothing planned from AL to OR.

For those of you who have been there could you please let me know the best way to visit with our setup? We will have a 26' Flair towing a 4WD Tracker. I would like to park the MH and use the Tracker to explore as much as possible, I just don't know how much of this is allowed.

Thanks.

Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2016, 04:03 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dix39 View Post
We've been to almost all the attractions around Monument Valley, but we've never seen it even though my wife has wanted to for many years. I'm thinking this may be the year on our way back from WV, SC, FL, GA, and AL to OR as there is nothing planned from AL to OR.

For those of you who have been there could you please let me know the best way to visit with our setup? We will have a 26' Flair towing a 4WD Tracker. I would like to park the MH and use the Tracker to explore as much as possible, I just don't know how much of this is allowed.

Thanks.

Steve
Monument Valley is on Reservation.. A campground right near the entrance and many trails for the tracker. I think some may require a guide but some don't.

Old 02-01-2016, 04:15 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here's some info. I doubt you will be able to take an ORV through much of the park.The Navajo people are understandably very sensitive as to how visitors treat their land. Most uses require a Navajo guide to accompany visitors in the park.

http://www.navajonationparks.org/htm/monumentvalley.htm

You can send an email with questions on your ORV use to:

l_black@navajonationparks.org

It's a beautiful place. Know that the road from Monument Valley toward Utah is very bumpy. Slow down and enjoy the scenery.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We visited in 2014. Your Tracker will be just fine in the Valley. It is very bumpy as you enter the valley but it will smooth out. We did the self driving tour and were very satisfied. Tours by the native Americans are available. We stayed at Goulding campgrounds.
Monument Valley|Goulding's Lodge: Home All roads are paved to the campground and very accessible.

Several areas to see and explore in the area are:
Mexican Hat Rock (Rt-163 north of MV)
next Turn onto RT-231 from RT-163, Be sure to stop at Goosenecks State Park (classic Meandering river cut in stone Goosenecks State Park | Utah State Parks )
Next turn onto Valley of the Gods Rd. (your Tracker is perfect for this tour and I strongly recommend - beautiful scenery approx 27 miles valley)
Back to RT-261 and drive up the Moki Dugway ( a road up the side of the plateau - your Tracker will love it).
Next drive north on RT-263 to left on RT-95 and right on Rt-275 to Natural Bridges National Monument. Natural Bridges National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Also find the spot in the Monument valley area where Forest Gump stopped his run across the country and turned around to run home.

Safe Travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE

See picture of John ford point
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06939.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	227.5 KB
ID:	117940  
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #5

I was aware that it was on a reservation and that is probably why I never went there, it just seemed too complicated with too many unknowns, where you can go and where you can't, where you can camp, etc. In addition to Goulding's, are there any dry camping areas away from crowds? Anyone know where I can get this info from books, etc., or do I need to wait until we get there? How about firearms on the reservation? Are there maps available of the Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods, and other roads that can be traveled? Whatever we do it will most likely be self guided, at least it always has been. I do however always try to get as much information as possible in order to plan.

We also have a couple of Honda CT 90s, a Honda S 90, and a Honda GL 500 Silverwing. Would any of them be of any value there, or just the Tracker?

I've been off-roading for much of my 76 years while hunting, fishing, and just exploring. I can usually figure out if I can make it or not when I get there, but not always.:-)). Anyway, It's always good to have a heads up, thanks for the advice RV735. Anyplace I should avoid other than what is off limits?

Thanks for all advice, and for the links Joe.

Steve
Old 02-01-2016, 05:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Beautiful place. You will be able to take your Tracker down in the Valley. It's doable in 2wd. We took our Jeep(s) on two different occasions and stayed in the View lodge on our way to Moab (from Socal).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	117942  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:19 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV735 View Post
We visited in 2014. Your Tracker will be just fine in the Valley. It is very bumpy as you enter the valley but it will smooth out. We did the self driving tour and were very satisfied. Tours by the native Americans are available. We stayed at Goulding campgrounds.
Monument Valley|Goulding's Lodge: Home All roads are paved to the campground and very accessible.

Several areas to see and explore in the area are:
Mexican Hat Rock (Rt-163 north of MV)
next Turn onto RT-231 from RT-163, Be sure to stop at Goosenecks State Park (classic Meandering river cut in stone Goosenecks State Park | Utah State Parks )
Next turn onto Valley of the Gods Rd. (your Tracker is perfect for this tour and I strongly recommend - beautiful scenery approx 27 miles valley)
Back to RT-261 and drive up the Moki Dugway ( a road up the side of the plateau - your Tracker will love it).
Next drive north on RT-263 to left on RT-95 and right on Rt-275 to Natural Bridges National Monument. Natural Bridges National Monument (U.S. National Park Service)
Also find the spot in the Monument valley area where Forest Gump stopped his run across the country and turned around to run home.

See picture of John ford point
Two 's Up to all of these. If you want to dry camp, try Goosenecks SP. You can litterally park as close to the canyon's edge as you can stomach. There is also another overlook as you top the Mogi Dugway called Mulie Point. We ran out of time, but will visit it next time.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:53 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
dix39, You can use Google Map to find and drive to Mexican Hat, Valley of the Gods and Natural Bridges National Monument. On our day trip to Natural Bridges National Monument we travels back to Monument Valley by traveling east on RT-95 (very seance area) and turned south on RT-191 to RT-163 home. This was a nice day trip.

Valley of the Gods web:
Valley of the Gods | Utah.com

Mexican Hat web:
Mexican Hat, Utah

A picture of Mexican Hat
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC07065.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	117947  
RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 07:52 PM   #9

I just looked at Goosenecks SP and now understand what you mean when you say"as close as you can stomach", awesome! Reminds me of our first visit to the GC. It was April and I had driven well into the night to get there. We parked somewhere near the rim (this was in '73) and as soon as it was daylight I walked over to the edge to look, and immediately felt like I was way too close and needed to run in the other direction. There was just a touch of snow and it was beautiful.

Mulie Point also looks attractive and worth a visit.

It looks like most of this is in UT. I had the somewhat mistaken belief that it was in AZ. I guess it is in both? The AZ atlas has the name within the reservation up near the UT border. I can see a trip to the library coming up tomorrow. I need to learn more about this.

I was thinking of picking up I-40 at Memphis, or near there, following it to Flagstaff and going North from there on 89, 160, and 163. Is there a better (more scenic) way? With the information you folks have provided and the handy dandy computer I'll be able to figure out where to stay and visit while we're there.

After visiting there we will probably head NW to I-80, then 95 from Winnemucca, NV to 140 and home in SW OR.

Any thoughts on the routes?

Thanks a bunch!

Steve
Old 02-01-2016, 10:06 PM   #10

Monument Valley is in Arizona at the Utah border. One way to get to it from Arizona is 89 out of Flagstaff, north to 160 to Kayenta and north on 163. All good roads.

There used to be a primitive camp spot for any size RVs right in front of the 'Mittens' with beautiful views. That's where we always stayed. Within the past year they've made some slight improvements to that camp area but it's still primitive. However, they also upped the price greatly...not sure of the exact price as their web site is not updated. You'd have to call. That's the only close place to dry camp. The nearest RV park is Gouldings and that's expensive, too. Otherwise you'd have to go to the Mexican Hat area.

If you just want to drive your vehicle on the 17-mile scenic drive you can easily do that. It can be rough and your Tracker would work well. Summers can be extremely hot and the road in poor condition if you have a monsoon rain, but then, every place you go in that area will require caution during the rainy season. Sept/Oct are ideal times to visit.

If you just want to see the main formations, drive your own vehicle and allow at least 2 hours for the 17 miles if you stop for pictures. Basically, if you arrived early morning (best for photos), you could drive through and then continue on to your next stop without even spending a night there.

Here's some information:

The Valley Drive, Monument Valley Navajo Tribal Park, Arizona
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 11:44 PM   #11

Thanks gypsies, especially for the link. Now I have several of these to research as well as going to the library to see what books I can find. I often look there to get an idea of what is available and if I find something particularly useful I find one like it to purchase. Years ago we spent a couple of weeks in the San Juan Islands, WA with our boat, primarily guided by a copy of "The San Juan Islands Afoot and Afloat" checked out from our local library. We also had some charts, etc., but the book was our main guide. Perhaps I will find a good guide book about Monument Valley that I can purchase a copy of to carry with us.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Steve
Old 02-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
We drove from Albuquerque to Farmington and headed west. If I do that trip again, we will take I-40 to 191 and catch Canyon de Chelly NM.

If you continue north of Mexican Hat to Bluff, UT there is an excellent restaurant called Comb Ridge Bistro. There is also a BLM campground there that gets good reviews called Sand Island Rec Area, but we stayed at Cottonwood RV park to download and catch up on the wash.
Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #13

I have learned much about the area from these responses.... and I live in AZ!!! Thanks. I do want to see a pic of the tracker, This is my 8th Suzuki.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 11:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
I have learned much about the area from these responses.... and I live in AZ!!! Thanks. I do want to see a pic of the tracker, This is my 8th Suzuki.
Our tracker is a '92 red tin top 4WD 5 speed that we've had nearly 10 years after having a Samurai. I can't post a pic because the computer with the pics on it is at the PC repair shop hopefully recovering from a malware problem. It has been a great little rig both as a toad and under its own power.

Yours looks good out there in the desert. Perhaps I'll be able to get some pics of ours there in a few months.

Thanks all for the additional info.

Steve