Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jake74,
Now your adding stops to a trip that is 2 weeks long. Just a concern for you to be careful. You will be in an area of the country that can easily take two months to see by seeing one thing per day and without doing anything twice. I made no mention of things to do because of the time you have. There is one little known place to see. That is the Minuteman Missile NHS at Minuteman Missile National Historic Site (U.S. National Park Service)
Warning, you will need reservations for a tour. The web site provides instructions.

There are so many other sites to see in the area, I hesitate to mention anything else. When there, the CG I stay at is Badlands / White River KOA | Camping in South Dakota | KOA Campgrounds This CG is south of The Badlands NP. After sundown, at the south entrance to the NP there is an amphitheater where presentation or not, one can sit and enjoy the pitch black night. I mean so black you can not see your hand at arms length. This is important because the sky will be full (I do mean full) of stars. You'll see the Milky Way (where earth lives) and every hour or so a Russian spy satellite will pass over head. Living east of the Mississippi River, you may never have seen a sky completely full of stars.

Moving over to the Rushmore/Crazy Horse area, consider http://koa.com/campgrounds/badlands/ It is on a main 4 lane highway. There is a PFJ about 1/2 mile away.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 07:42 PM   #16

Ok I think I've got it. Leaving on August 22nd and just driving till I get to Custer,SD which I figure will be August 24th. Will stay there the 24th-27th then heading to yellow stone and staying there the 27th through September 3rd. Figure I'll have 2 full days in Custer and 7 in yellowstone.

I want to see Rushmore,crazy horse,devils tower or Custer park. Might stay an extra day to do both.

For yellowstone I want to see of course Yellowstone,bill Cody museum and the Tetons.

I can always stay an extra day if need be.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:04 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jake74,
When you get to Yellowstone, allow an entire day for the Old Faithful complex part of the park. There is quite a bit to see and do in that complex of activities. There is a restaurant next to the parking area.
Old 03-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #18

If come into Yellowstone from the east consider the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. Spent two days just at the museum. The Cody firearm Museum is in the basement and houses about 7,000 firearms and a plethora of related relics.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecurb74 View Post
If come into Yellowstone from the east consider the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum. Spent two days just at the museum. The Cody firearm Museum is in the basement and houses about 7,000 firearms and a plethora of related relics.
Thanks. The Cody museum is top of my list.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:55 AM   #20

As some have suggested try and do both, after all who knows when and if they will get that way again.
Lots to see around Yellowstone but Monument Valley is my favorite.
Loved Monument Valley and the Grand Canyon is near by, just a thought.
DannyA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:57 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
We did Monument Valley last year. Loved it. Stayed there a few days at Gouldings. Its a very nice campground.

Took the 3 hour tour that goes right from the campground.

I would highly recommend it.

If you want a drink in the evening make sure you bring booze. No liquor on the reservation.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by nova 42qd View Post
No liquor on the reservation.
Except for those living on the reservations!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:02 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
If you are into expensive dry camping, the campground in Monument Valley is now open. $43.00 night, but the view is out of this world!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
Except for those living on the reservations!
...should have said sold on the reservation!
Old 03-13-2015, 07:31 AM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbburgess View Post
I have never been to Monument Valley but have been to Yellowstone a number of times. If you want to stay in the park you are almost to late to get a site. Try reserving NOW. If not check out the West Yellowstone entrance. There are nice campgrounds there. Schedule at least a week to see everything you can from the roads and parking lots. Most people never leave the boardwalks attached to the parking lots so if you do you will be alone and will see more and better. Be careful the bison and the elk can get nasty. It best to leave the rv parked and take your car. Pack a lunch as food is expensive. Don't forget the camera and binoculars. Have fun and take your time.
This is exactly what we did RV at West Yellowstone and went to the end of all park roads with car. Yellowstone is AMAZING!!
Old 03-14-2015, 08:33 AM   #26

I tow a Honda element so I will have a car other than my MH to site see with. I'm trying to figure out how to get more days off work so I can head on down to monument valley after I see Yellowstone.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:47 AM   #27

I'm not sure which route to take. We have been going to Yellowstone for many years. I would suggest the southern entrance. You should see Jackson and the Grand Teton National Park. There is a camp ground just before you enter the south entrance of Yellowstone, the campground is Flagg Ranch. It is nothing special but it is perfect for running day trips into Yellowstone.

On the West entrance into Yellowstone, a small town called West Yellowstone which is actually in Montana and about 10 miles west of the Yellowstone entrance. The name of that park is Grizzly RV Park you can Google all of this.

Yellowstone is a place like no other in the United States. At every turn there is something to see. I've been there 20 times and have been amazed each time we go. Now we own a lot in Star Valley, Wyoming and spend our vacation time there. It is about 150 miles south of Yellowstone and about 50 miles south of Jackson Hole.
Wilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 01:01 PM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jake74,
You have quite a dilemma. The area of the country you are visiting has a huge number of things to see and do. Keep the trip a casual as possible. Get your mind set that you'll need to return 2 or 3 times to take it all in.

If you do go to Monument Valley, in addition to what has been posted here, consider outside and north of the valley, in Utah is:
1. Valley of the Gods
2. Goosenecks State Park This is a quick stop on the way to the back entrance to Valley of the Gods. From Route 163 take Route 261 to the end. Park and walk to the railing. This view was the only stop in all the country that my teenage grandson stepped back and said WOW.
3. Then continue on route 261 to the back entrance for Valley of the Gods. This will take you back to route 163/191.
4. Go south on 163/191 toward Monument Valley. The town on the border is Mexican Hat. It is a nice place to have lunch.

If the weather has been wet, Valley of the Gods is best done with 4 wheel drive capability.