Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2015, 08:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Jake74,
You have quite a dilemma. The area of the country you are visiting has a huge number of things to see and do. Keep the trip a casual as possible. Get your mind set that you'll need to return 2 or 3 times to take it all in.

If you do go to Monument Valley, in addition to what has been posted here, consider outside and north of the valley, in Utah is:
1. Valley of the Gods
2. Goosenecks State Park This is a quick stop on the way to the back entrance to Valley of the Gods. From Route 163 take Route 261 to the end. Park and walk to the railing. This view was the only stop in all the country that my teenage grandson stepped back and said WOW.
3. Then continue on route 261 to the back entrance for Valley of the Gods. This will take you back to route 163/191.
4. Go south on 163/191 toward Monument Valley. The town on the border is Mexican Hat. It is a nice place to have lunch.

If the weather has been wet, Valley of the Gods is best done with 4 wheel drive capability.
This is advice I need to take. I'm the type that wants to see it all in one trip and end up burning myself out. I need to take your advice and keep it slow and simple. After all it's a vacation not a job. I think I need to concentrate on my original plan and make monument valley area a whole trip of its own.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2015, 01:22 PM   #30

Jake74,
You sound like the foreign tourists we saw when we went out west. They pull up to a point of interest, run like hell, take a couple of pictures and race off to the next attraction, never stopping to appreciate the view. I encourage you to slow down and have a Quality trip, and leave some things for a future trip or 2 or 3.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Jake74,
You sound like the foreign tourists we saw when we went out west. They pull up to a point of interest, run like hell, take a couple of pictures and race off to the next attraction, never stopping to appreciate the view. I encourage you to slow down and have a Quality trip, and leave some things for a future trip or 2 or 3.
Sometimes I can be to high strung and get in to big of a hurry. Might be my age 35 years old but I can tell in the last few years I'm not as wide open as I was lol.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:46 PM   #32

Good choice on Yellowstone. I agree with Paz, there is no comparison. As far a route can you go south leaving and see Grand Canyon then north to YS. I think you could also fit in Rushmore and the other stuff around there. We stayed at West Yellowstone last year and that was great. At least 1 day per area is needed. I did not see a time you are planning, if you can do it before school is out you will miss tons of traffic. Also we were at YS in mid May last year and Lake Yellowstone was still 99% froze over! roads were fine but snow everywhere.
Scr392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:44 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scr392 View Post
Good choice on Yellowstone. I agree with Paz, there is no comparison. As far a route can you go south leaving and see Grand Canyon then north to YS. I think you could also fit in Rushmore and the other stuff around there. We stayed at West Yellowstone last year and that was great. At least 1 day per area is needed. I did not see a time you are planning, if you can do it before school is out you will miss tons of traffic. Also we were at YS in mid May last year and Lake Yellowstone was still 99% froze over! roads were fine but snow everywhere.
I'm leaving August 22nd. Should be in Custer,SD the 25th. Staying there through the 28th then on to yellowstone for a week. Hope I can find a few more days to head south to see monument valley.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:35 PM   #34

Yellowstone for us too

I have read with interest all of your comments since we have a week planned for Teton/Yellowstone in mid-May. I know it may still be cold, but it is worth it to avoid the crowds. We plan on coming up from the south, staying at Snake River KOA in Jackson WY, touring Grand Teton NP, and staying at Colter Bay Village RV park. Then we will be driving through Yellowstone and staying three nights near the west entrance at Grizzly RV Park. We will venture out daily to the Park from there. Any advice, suggestions, etc?
GracieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:20 PM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Great time of year to go toYellostone, IMHO. there aren't crowds, the animals are active, and the snow on the peaks looks like frosting. Yes, it can be cold and yes, it can snow, but I think it is worth it.

We are actually in Bozeman, MT visiting one of our sons. The KOA is open all year, and it is full! Tomorrow we are going to head to Gardiner and Cooke City (the only YNP road open this time of year). It is totally ridiculous that Bozeman had 70 degree weather today! Tomorrow is it supposed to rain some, but I will take it over crowds.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:42 PM   #36
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
IMO, there is no comparison between Yellowstone and Monument Valley. While Monument Valley is impressive and beautiful, you can see it in a couple of hours. There is so much to see in Yellowstone, it will take days to see it. And while you're at Yellowstone, take a day trip down to see the Tetons.

When we went to Yellowstone, we stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. It's right outside the west entrance.
Ditto all the above. Monument Valley is very impressive but if only able to go to one of the two, it must be Yellowstone. Don't go there for just a couple of days - a week minimum and two weeks if you can. Loved Grizzly in West Yellowstone and won't even consider another place when we go back. RV accommodations in the Monument Valley area (Gouldings) are pretty miserable.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
we also will be leaving early may 2016, have the stops played out on map from Mt Rushmore, Little Big horn, YS south 89 and down thru Moab to I40 going west far enough to Meteor Cradar.
was thinking of going north first from Va Beach, but if we turn the map and start from az I40 heading north seems better. after reading posts and still get in most of trip before summer vacation fills the parks.
We can dry camp for three days before WIFE and here shower needs Adrian the tank or rather fills the gray tank. Our 75 gal water would last maybe a couple more showers.
We will not pass Meteor Crater head back to Gallup and 491
or should we just go to 89 in flagstaff and head north, we have visited in GC 3x Bryce, and Zion, are wish is to spend some days in moab, but we will have to pass thru Salt Lake any route. we have noted your posts here about camp grounds and time needed.

we will have 6 weeks, this will be are longest trip, will do spend a week when ever possible away and a month each month of Sept in NY and Penn...wine and more wine

happy safe travel to you all

Jerry Donna
gmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:06 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Keep in mind the driving distances are huge at slow speeds. Staying outside the east entrance will set you up for a 70 minute drive just to Fishing Bridge, don't forget the return 70 min drive. Sure takes a huge chunk out of your sightseeing day.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:06 PM   #39

I'd rather see Monument Valley, afterall, John Ford never shot a picture in Yellowstone.

There's a website that shows the locations of many of Ford's camera set ups for "The Searchers".
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote