Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

Monument Valley or Yellowstone?

I've never been to either and want to plan a trip to one of them. What would be some opinions on which one? Also if going to yellowstone from alabama what route? Places to see along the way? Which entrance? Best base camp for 38ft MH outside of the park? Same questions for monument valley.
Jake74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 07:18 PM   #2

I have never been to Monument Valley but have been to Yellowstone a number of times. If you want to stay in the park you are almost to late to get a site. Try reserving NOW. If not check out the West Yellowstone entrance. There are nice campgrounds there. Schedule at least a week to see everything you can from the roads and parking lots. Most people never leave the boardwalks attached to the parking lots so if you do you will be alone and will see more and better. Be careful the bison and the elk can get nasty. It best to leave the rv parked and take your car. Pack a lunch as food is expensive. Don't forget the camera and binoculars. Have fun and take your time.
gbburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Its been years since I have been to Yellowstone. I didn't spend hardly any time in Monument valley when i drove though tit a few years back and i regret it (I'll fix that).
As far as a route if it were me
Get to Memphis take I-40 (I40 parlells old US RT-66 if you are into that, lots to see along the way) west to Flagstaff and see the grand canyon (if you have the time) then you are on Monument valleys door step.

http://grandcircle.org/ is a good site to look at for attractions in the 4 corners area

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 07:35 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Yellowstone is huge, so I suggest doing one area a day, otherwise there is a lot of backtracking, base camp in west Yellowstone until you see the west lower half. Then on up to Gardner, staying a few days until you see the huge Lamar valley, an experience all of its own if you are mainly interested in wildlife. May take 3-4 days, because it's not a zoo, and you have to put in your time to view wildlife opportunities. There are tours.

You could go home via the south Entrance and spend a few days in Jackson Hole, another beautiful area. It's a lot of driving, and to me we always want a few more days to relax, before the long drive home, so Jackson is nice. Going via Colorado -upwards is good also.

We absolutely love Yellowstone, my husband wants to move near there! (Not me, too cold however, my sister was not very impressed. To each their own, we work hard to find the wildlife, even when we were tired.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 09:47 PM   #5

As far as a route - it depends on what you want to see along the way. Get a road atlas and highlight things of interest then take a highlighter and make your route. There are great things to see off the interstates.

If you have unlimited time don't rush this trip. Two to three months will go by fast.

You can easily do Monument Valley on your way (stay at Gouldings RV) to Yellowstone and can also include other wonderful national parks in southern Utah and also the Grand Canyon in northern Arizona.

You can enter Yellowstone from all directions but with an big rig, avoid the NE entrance. If coming from the south, get to Jackson, Wyoming and come up through the Grand Teton Nat'l Park which is connected to Yellowstone. If you want hookups, stay in the park at Colter Bay RV. This park is completely different from Yellowstone in looks and attractions. It's like a miniature Alps. There are plenty of easy to moderate hikes to beautiful spot and lakes. Take a gentle float trip down the Snake River in the park and you just might see a moose alongside you. We did!

In Yellowstone, Fishing Bridge RV has full hookups.

Have a great trip!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 10:02 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies. I think we're going to yellow stone. Probably will make it a 2 week trip. Looking for a CG for base camp that's full hookup but not commercialized to the point that I'm packed in like sardines. Thinking of staying around the east entrance.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #7

If you want to stay on the Cody, WY side, a nice place is Yellowstone Valley RV. It's not right in town and has beautiful views. However, it is a typical RV park so the parking, to us anyway, is close.

Also, I think that it's the closest one to the east entrance of Yellowstone but be aware that it's still a long drive just to get to the heart of Yellowstone and then you'll have a LOT of driving once you're in Yellowstone. It's going to be long days of touring the park. Yellowstone is huge and the traffic is slow because of the animals in the roads or near the roads. People stop right in the middle of the road to get their pictures.

If you come in from the south entrance - through Grand Teton Nat'l Park, you could stay at Colter Bay RV in the Tetons and it would be a closer drive to the heart of Yellowstone. That's where I would recommend you stay. You could drive along I-80 and get off on 187 at Rawlins, WY. 287 to 89 into the Tetons is an easy drive.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 06:22 AM   #8
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake74 View Post
I've never been to either and want to plan a trip to one of them. What would be some opinions on which one? Also if going to yellowstone from alabama what route? Places to see along the way? Which entrance? Best base camp for 38ft MH outside of the park? Same questions for monument valley.
IMO, there is no comparison between Yellowstone and Monument Valley. While Monument Valley is impressive and beautiful, you can see it in a couple of hours. There is so much to see in Yellowstone, it will take days to see it. And while you're at Yellowstone, take a day trip down to see the Tetons.

When we went to Yellowstone, we stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone. It's right outside the west entrance.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:59 AM   #9

You have Win/Win choices, as soo many good options!!

With two weeks, I'd suggest you focus this trip on Tetons and Yellowstone. Perhaps schedule another trip to Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches, Goblin Valley areas.

We found we liked Tetons area just as much as Yellowstone!!!

So if you come in from the South, another option for you to add into your decisions would be:

-Three days in Gros Ventre in the Tetons (Dry camping, but with some of the most spectacular views of the Tetons available. The Snake River raft tours are a fun easy float. Earlier in the day the better for animal viewing. We had moose, and had a black bear swim across the river in front of us. June lake is also great. The Snake River highway pullout, is one of the best places to take your chairs and snacks for a sunset. You can also take a day drive into Jackson if that is of interest to you.

-3 days in Colter Bay. As mentioned, some good hiking, and you can do a day drive to areas close by.

-Up in thru the Yellowstone, and out the West entrance. Several good parks, Grizzly is spacious and very well run. West Yellowstone provides a great way to go in and break up Yellowstone into bite size day trips. Go the South Loop, and of course see Old Faithful, drive back up the loop from Fishing Bridge. Another day hang the North loop. Then a long day into the Lamar Valley, we would head to Lamar around 4:30-5:00AM, to get us to the valley floor early enough see some of the amazing animals. Take your binoculars and cameras. When you see the pro's off to the side with a large cannon size scope, pull over safely and check in with them to see what they may be spotting. We had several let us look thru their spotters scopes, to see the wolves in the distance.

You can't go wrong, and two weeks to try and hit both Tetons and Yellowstone is pushing it! You could head out of West Yellowstone and stop allot a full day for Cody on the way out - some great museums.

Have a blast!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Jake74,
When you want to go to Monument Valley, post on iRV2 and I'll provide you quite a few things to do. Believe me, the area is much more than a "drive through". For this thread, I was too late to chime in with all there is to do.

As to a CG with FH, consider the KOA on the west side of Yellowstone. At Yellowstone Park / West Entrance KOA | Camping in Montana | KOA Campgrounds there is information about the CG. Easy in and out. Sites are large for length and width.

A good route to take is to get on I-40 ASAP. Go west young man, go west. At Oklahoma City take I-135 north to I-70. I-70 west to Denver and get on I-25 north. I-25 to I-80 west. I-80 to I-15 north. At Idaho Falls, take Route 20 to the west side of Yellowstone.

As to what to see along the way, my goodness there is so much to see and do it would take me a month to do this trip one way! A lot of what to do is personal interest and preference. Consider getting a good Rand McNally Atlas and a book about our National Parks. When I know about what your interests are and any mobility problems, I am in better position to make recommendations.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
If you want to stay on the Cody, WY side, a nice place is Yellowstone Valley RV. It's not right in town and has beautiful views. However, it is a typical RV park so the parking, to us anyway, is close.

Also, I think that it's the closest one to the east entrance of Yellowstone but be aware that it's still a long drive just to get to the heart of Yellowstone and then you'll have a LOT of driving once you're in Yellowstone. It's going to be long days of touring the park. Yellowstone is huge and the traffic is slow because of the animals in the roads or near the roads. People stop right in the middle of the road to get their pictures.

If you come in from the south entrance - through Grand Teton Nat'l Park, you could stay at Colter Bay RV in the Tetons and it would be a closer drive to the heart of Yellowstone. That's where I would recommend you stay. You could drive along I-80 and get off on 187 at Rawlins, WY. 287 to 89 into the Tetons is an easy drive.
Thanks this is very helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
You have Win/Win choices, as soo many good options!!

With two weeks, I'd suggest you focus this trip on Tetons and Yellowstone. Perhaps schedule another trip to Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley, Moab, Arches, Goblin Valley areas.

We found we liked Tetons area just as much as Yellowstone!!!

So if you come in from the South, another option for you to add into your decisions would be:

-Three days in Gros Ventre in the Tetons (Dry camping, but with some of the most spectacular views of the Tetons available. The Snake River raft tours are a fun easy float. Earlier in the day the better for animal viewing. We had moose, and had a black bear swim across the river in front of us. June lake is also great. The Snake River highway pullout, is one of the best places to take your chairs and snacks for a sunset. You can also take a day drive into Jackson if that is of interest to you.

-3 days in Colter Bay. As mentioned, some good hiking, and you can do a day drive to areas close by.

-Up in thru the Yellowstone, and out the West entrance. Several good parks, Grizzly is spacious and very well run. West Yellowstone provides a great way to go in and break up Yellowstone into bite size day trips. Go the South Loop, and of course see Old Faithful, drive back up the loop from Fishing Bridge. Another day hang the North loop. Then a long day into the Lamar Valley, we would head to Lamar around 4:30-5:00AM, to get us to the valley floor early enough see some of the amazing animals. Take your binoculars and cameras. When you see the pro's off to the side with a large cannon size scope, pull over safely and check in with them to see what they may be spotting. We had several let us look thru their spotters scopes, to see the wolves in the distance.

You can't go wrong, and two weeks to try and hit both Tetons and Yellowstone is pushing it! You could head out of West Yellowstone and stop allot a full day for Cody on the way out - some great museums.

Have a blast!
Smitty
Thanks this may be my best bet. I also want to hit Mount Rushmore and crazy horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Jake74,
When you want to go to Monument Valley, post on iRV2 and I'll provide you quite a few things to do. Believe me, the area is much more than a "drive through". For this thread, I was too late to chime in with all there is to do.

As to a CG with FH, consider the KOA on the west side of Yellowstone. At Yellowstone Park / West Entrance KOA | Camping in Montana | KOA Campgrounds there is information about the CG. Easy in and out. Sites are large for length and width.

A good route to take is to get on I-40 ASAP. Go west young man, go west. At Oklahoma City take I-135 north to I-70. I-70 west to Denver and get on I-25 north. I-25 to I-80 west. I-80 to I-15 north. At Idaho Falls, take Route 20 to the west side of Yellowstone.

As to what to see along the way, my goodness there is so much to see and do it would take me a month to do this trip one way! A lot of what to do is personal interest and preference. Consider getting a good Rand McNally Atlas and a book about our National Parks. When I know about what your interests are and any mobility problems, I am in better position to make recommendations.
My wife and I are 35 years old so no mobility issues. I'm into anything old west type things.
Old 03-09-2015, 05:29 PM   #12

The best place to stay IN Monument Valley is Goulding's CG, yes, do make reservations, as the CG stays full all summer while school is out. Be sure to take the tour of Monument Valley that's operated by the local tribe.
This is where Captain Brittles quarters is located - John Wayne in She Wore a Yellow Ribbon
was filmed in Monument Valley.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:30 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
The best place to stay IN Monument Valley is Goulding's CG, yes, do make reservations, as the CG stays full all summer while school is out. Be sure to take the tour of Monument Valley that's operated by the local tribe.

X2. The jeep tour was incredible.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:25 PM   #14

I'm going to go to Mount Rushmore and crazy horse on the way to yellowstone. Any recomindations on CG around this area. I think I have decided on yellowstone valley inn for yellowstone, it looks nice.