Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2014, 10:05 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Monument Valley - Worthwhile Visit?

We are leaving for our western trip the day after Labor Day and will be seeing Mount Rushmore, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, Bryce Canyon, Zion and the Grand Canyon. Wehave made our reservations and plan to return to NC via I 40 seeing some of old Rt 66 as well as Sante Fe NM

I really liked the scenery in the old John Ford westerns and would like to see Monument Valley but it is a little out of the way. If we went we would stay at Gouldings, dry camp one day and take full svc the second day in order to leave the dog in a/c and take a day trip into the valley. Is the day trip offered thru Gouldings worth while? I have no idea of its cost but if the scenery is breath taking it will be worth it.

Has anyone done a day trip like this?
seb1899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2014, 10:19 AM   #2

I did the drive yourself tour years ago. On reflection I would take the tour. And take cash to buy the interesting things available from the locals. Its like a trip back in history.
NorthernDriv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Jayco Owners Club
We did the drive yourself tour many years ago. The locals had a steep hill at the entrance/exit point that was fine dirt, and the car ahead of us couldn't get up it to get out. He didn't have the nerve to get a good running start. The locals charged him $60- to tow him to the top. (This was 25 years ago, so $60- was pretty steep. That sells more Jeep tours for them.) He moved out of the way while waiting for the tow, and we got to the top in our minivan, but not easily. That aside, it is truly beautiful, and worth the trouble and the price. But at the time, all people that were not part of the tribe had to stay on the road, and no hiking was permitted. However, knowing graffiti mongers... I don't really blame them. This does allow you to see a lot of the valley, but a good hiking trail or two would make it so much better. Maybe they have those, now... Please report back if you visit. We're interested in going back... and will in a couple of years when I retire.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:53 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I have done the Tour and driven the self tour a couple of times. Always had the Jeep so getting up the dirt hills was not an issue.
Definitely worth the side trip. Stay at Gouldings RV park and get the tour through them and they will pick you up at the RV park. I would call now to see if they will be doing tours at that time of year.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #5

Visited Monument Valley three years ago. It was one of the highlights of our trip thru the South West. We did the self drive in a Mercedes SUV. No problem at all. Even saw some people doing the self drive in a compact car.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:06 AM   #6

Don't forget to get a picture of the sign where Forest Gump turned around:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5437.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	511.1 KB
ID:	69003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5435.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	423.4 KB
ID:	69004  

Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #7

Nearby off US160 you can find Navajo National Monument. They have two campgrounds; one water/elec and one overflow. We thought the first one was kind of cramped so we explored the overflow dry camp. The site we selected backed right up to open pinon pine mesa country. It was breathtaking. We took a ranger guided hike to the nearest cliff dwelling which was well worth our time. This was about 30 years ago.

We would love to take the Monument Valley tour someday and also the tour in the valley of Canyon de Chelly.

If you would add a description of your rv to your signature it would help others to give the most appropriate travel and service or maintenance suggestions.

Safe travels.
EZDZIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:23 PM   #8

if you stay in monument valley be sure to visit valley of the gods just down the road and just as impressive.
time permitting bluff,ut mulkey dugway,gooseneck park and mexican hat are all close by and worth the time
beaverfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #9

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaverfever View Post
if you stay in monument valley be sure to visit valley of the gods just down the road and just as impressive.
time permitting bluff,ut mulkey dugway,gooseneck park and mexican hat are all close by and worth the time
Hi I was just going to suggest the Valley of the Gods.. It's just out of Mexican Hat a bit and a spectacular drive.. It's a state monument I believe.. 2nds on Canyon de Chelly as well.. It's desolate country but starkly beautiful.. We stayed 2 days at Goulding's and it was OK and secure.. Lots of Indian dog strays around so fence is a good idea..
Enjoy the area.. It is a gift to us all..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:40 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Don't laugh...but...I'd recommend a stop at the Burger King in Kayenta.

They've got a great display about the Navajo Code Talkers.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-25-2014, 05:04 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is from the hotel...it gets better down in the valley. You decide...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	346.4 KB
ID:	69048  
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:05 PM   #12

OH, and at Gouldings they have John Wayne movies at night.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #13
Community Administrator

I also stayed at Gouldings and throughly enjoyed Monument Valley. We took their jeep tour , it was great. One caution that I would advise is to have an EMS ( electrical management system ). It was 100 degrees when I was there and frequently was shut down by my EMS as the amps dropped below 104. Also , there was a wind storm and I never got the red sand completely out of the window tracks. Still I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #14

We stayed at Gouldings last year and really liked it. I did the "self-tour" in a GMC 2500 with very stiff suspension and would not do that again. My suggestion is that using their tour service is well worth the money. Also, there is a VERY COOL and quite large natural stone arch located about 75 yards right behind the RV park. Most people don't know about it but ask on check in about how to get there. Also went to Goosneck State Park which was well worth the trip also. Happy travels!
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hwh