Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 AM   #15
Like I said, a monumental planning job. Thanks to all. I am learning of locations I have never heard of. That is the power of this forum. Lots of combined knowledge and experience. With all these places to see and visit, we might not make it back home before winter...LOL... if ever.

Thanks again and keep them coming.

Lynda and Bob with the traveling cats .. Homey and Jitterbug
'00 Safari Trek 2830, Workhorse chassis. '99 Jeep towed.

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Start your trip early or start in the north and work south as weather cools. The SW temps are not fun RVing in the summer months. Washington state has more than just St Helens, Mt Rainer, beaches, Olimpic Peninsula, North Cascades Hyway, San Juan Islands.

2004 Clss C 31' Winnebgo
OLYLEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #17
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to ditto on Glacier National Park, Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I also agree on Devils Tower. If you get there, then I have to recommend The Black Hills just over the WY - SD border. If you're that far, just a few more miles is another must see: The Badlands!

Last year DW and I decided on a motorcycle trip out there, without the MH (kind of a "Bucket List" thing). We had 3 other couples join us. Headed out of central Michigan and headed north. Over the Mackinaw Bridge (another great site) and straight to Glacier. Here are a few picks.

That's DW on her red Harley.

Although we got there towards the end of June, they had all the roads and passes clear. Note the DW's bare arms...Standing on 20 ft of ice/snow with just a T-shirt and being perfectly warm is really weird...quite an experience if you're from the East.

Watch out for the mountain goats!

Me and the DW dodging waterfalls.

We then headed south to Yellowstone. That's Mr. Grizzly, that I'm glad didn't come down to the road for a visit

Stopped for a herd of buffalo (about 60) grazing close to the road. Then they all decided to cross the road right where everyone was stopped! DW freaked out because she (we) had no where to go....I wasn't totally relaxed either Anyway, we held our ground sitting on our bikes and remained still. One large bull decided he was going gross between me and the DW, as it worked out, he had about 6 inches to spare on each side. After he passed through and I could see DW again, I was surprised to see her still conscious

We spent 2 days in west Yellowstone then headed for Jackson Hole, via the Grand Tetons. Spent the night there and head back to Yellowstone to do the east side.

Then out the northwest entrance and road Beartooth Pass to Redwood MT (US 212). Caught US 310 headed back to WY and then US14A across the Bighorn Mtns. On to Devil's Tower then to Spearfish SD (Black Hills National Forest) There you have MT. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Custer State Park, the Badlands, etc, etc. By the time we got there we had burned up the best part of two weeks and had to get home. 14 days- 4600 miles...not bad for a bunch of old farts on motorcycles

The year before we took the MH (our bikes are always our toads to the Black Hills and stayed two weeks....fantastic experience. Glacier is the best beauty and a Must See, but with only one road, you can see it all in one day easy (if you want to). We spent about 3 days at Yellowstone and barely scratched the surface.

Good luck with your plans and your trip. I know I would have a hard time deciding with all the great suggestions everyone has been piling on you.
jlyon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #18
Great photos

Thanks for the information. Those are beautiful photos. That would have been a fantastic trip on the bikes. Talk about getting fully exposed (and close) to nature.

We were at Yellowstone in our motor home about 35 years ago when the kids were young. We started in Michigan, went through the upper into Canada, west through Canada to Calgary for the stampede on July 4. Did Lake Louise and all the sights, south on the Going to the Sun highway into the states. Saw Yellowstone, Tetons, Jackson Hole, Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, ..........etc. 6500 miles and six weeks later we were back to Michigan. Was a great trip but sooooo long ago.

There have been so many great suggestions. Than you all.

Lynda and Bob with the traveling cats .. Homey and Jitterbug
'00 Safari Trek 2830, Workhorse chassis. '99 Jeep towed.

Sunny Sebastian Fl.
bobwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
iRV2 No Limits Club
Originally Posted by okgc View Post

The waterfalls on the Oregon west coast are unbelievably gorgeous, worth the trip by themselves.
Uhh... Except that's Multnomah Falls and it east of Portland in the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #20

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
I'll second a stop at Goblin Valley State Park in UT as well as trying to get into Dead Horse State Park. A couple of other favorites include Kodachrome Basin State Park, Canyonlands, and in AZ Monument Valley & touring Antelope Canyon near Page.

I did a 111 day trip to the southwest & Canada last summer. If interested, an index of the trip (with pictures of most of the places mentioned above) starts here.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #21
Some that haven't been mentioned:

If you happen to find yourself in Southeastern New Mexico, I would suggest making a stop by Carlsbad Caverns. It is truly an incredible experience and one that shouldn't be missed.

If you happen to make it to the panhandle of Texas there is a state park near Amarillo called Palo Duro Canyon. Its not as spectacular as the Grand Canyon but it's pretty cool.

If you like boating then I would suggest seeing lake Powell (straddles the Utah/Arizona border). Some of the most gorgeous sunrises I have ever seen.
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2005 Chevy Z71 Suburban
40GnTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #22

look into joining Passport America for discount camping out West. You'll save a lot as there are lots of places out West that honor PA. If you go to Moab, UT (highly recommended) the OK RV Park honors PA.
Someone already mentioned Silverton, CO which I will 2nd as a great place to "light" for a few days.
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:41 PM   #23
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
In WA, Mt St Helens, Mt Rainer, North Cascade Hwy, Grand Coulee Dam, Lake FDR, Fort Spokane, Lake Chelan, Columbia River Gorge, Wine Country, Leavenworth, Puget Sound, Olympia peninsula, A few of the places to see, in my summertime backyard.
04 Horizon QD, 12 Ford Flex, Excalibar, Brake-Pro, ,, Winter Texan, RVin! since 1974
Norm, Donna & Tinker Kat 74 MGB-GT, 75 MGB, 01 Z3
Life is a Timed Event, you only get One Go Around!
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:18 PM   #24
Don't forget Capitol Reef National Park in Utah...great hiking. Oregon State Parks, especially along the ocean, are fabulous. Channel Islands National Park in California (boat trip) are amazing. Boats leave out of Ventura. Leave your rig at one end or the other and drive the 100 mile drive with your toad along the California coast.
Nancy & Bill
05 Seabreeze LX 8321
Nancy & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31 AM   #25
The Columbia river route into Oregon is great; from the high desert east to the lush greenery west. There's a great museum at the entrance to the gorge - just a mile or 2 on the old road. However, you probably don't want to drive the entire scenic old road in a RV. It's pretty narrow - ask me how I know...

Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Uhh... Except that's Multnomah Falls and it east of Portland in the Columbia Gorge Scenic Area.
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #26
So many wonderful things to see in the West! We gaze seen some and plan to see more thus summer starting in April! Can't wait!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 02:00 PM   #27
Planning? Go North some, then West. Stop when you want, go where you want.

Check out Campground Directory and National Forest Campgrounds for places to stay in National Forests.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may want to consider 5-6 Months + .

Wayne MSGT USMC (Ret) & Earlene (CinCHouse)
2008 Winnebago Destination 39W
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote