Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #1

More Yellowstone info please

We plan to travel from Sheridan, Wy. to Cody, Wy. Exiting I90 and traveling highway 14 just north of Sherdian. According to the Mountain Directory West there is a 18 mile descentf averaging 7 percent. Also some tight turns. Has anyone driven this route in a Class A ? How was it ? Highway 14A is also mentioned but the directory discouraged this route.

Any recommendations for RV parks in Cody, Wy. ?

Thank you

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39V

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We took 14 from Cody through the park to West Yellowstone in my 260 HP ford v10 gasser 36 ft Winnebago pulling a honda fit. No problems beautiful drive.

Ponderosa Campground was very nice and could walk to the Dairy Queen next door.

rream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post
We plan to travel from Sheridan, Wy. to Cody, Wy. Exiting I90 and traveling highway 14 just north of Sherdian. According to the Mountain Directory West there is a 18 mile descentf averaging 7 percent. Also some tight turns. Has anyone driven this route in a Class A ? How was it ? Highway 14A is also mentioned but the directory discouraged this route.

Thank you

Walter Furniss
2007 Discovery 39V
I was in Yellowstone the end of may, entered from the east gate out of Cody and there was no problem with the grades and I was towing a Chrysler Town & Country Van on a tow dolly.

I do not recall the name of the RV Park we stayed in, but it was just as you come into Cody on the right hand side before the McDonald's on the left side. It was ok, nothing special, but pull throughs so if your towing you don't have to unhook to back in. There is another just past the Buffalo Bill Cody Museum on the left side that looked nicer, but was very close to full when I wen by it.

Just do a google search for RV Resorts/Park in Cody, WY and you will find them.
Mochisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furniss View Post

Thank you

Walter Furnisshe
2007 Discovery 39V
14A is my favorite route through the Bighorns, but it can be a bit hairy. See photo.

Joel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14a.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	24915  
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 12:53 AM   #5

We didn't do Hwy 14 in recent years but 2 yr. ago we did Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland with our 40' motorhome and towed. We stayed midway at a forest service campground. In reading the Mountain Directory just now, Hwy 14 has NO runaway truck ramps and Hwy 16 has 4!!! We really didn't think Hwy 16 was bad at all but you can do some comparisons by this... Definitely do not get on 14A!!
As far as campgrounds in Cody, we stayed west of Cody at Wapiti which is closer to Yellowstone's entrance but still close to Cody, too. Be sure to do Cody's Museum. It's awesome. It was at Yellowstone Valley Inn & RV. It's in gorgeous surroundings right on Hwy 14/16/20 going into the park. Have a good trip.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:07 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Seems like you are getting good advice on 14. My advice is be careful of the winds on I 90. I've seen sustained winds in the 40s and gusts to 75 mph through that area.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 10:35 AM   #7

Just returned from a motorcycle trip traversing 14 A. Would never attempt this road in my motorhome.