Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-19-2014, 05:53 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Morrow Mountain State Park NC

Does anyone have any information on Morrow Mountain State Park in North Carolina? Easy grades to get to it? We would be coming from Florida with our 3/4 ton truck pulling our 5ver coming up I-95 to US 52 west. Thanks!!

BOb
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:07 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I camped in the overflow many years ago don't remember any severe grades
Old 07-22-2014, 05:26 PM   #3

Grades are not bad but sites are rather small. I'm not sure there any sites with sewer hook ups. We've not stayed there but live not too far from there and go to the park regularly. It is definitely not big rig friendly.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:13 PM   #4

Bob.. did you make it to Morrow Mtn yet or are you planning that for a future trip? Let us know if you decide to stay there and how it was.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:20 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
We are planning around Christmas time we hope will try to keep ya posted! It's six hours from us so we may hop in the minivan and go check it out one saturday before we go.
bdwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #6

OK...we'll try to ride over there in the next few weeks sometime and take another look. Generally speaking, NC state parks are way behind some of the others like SC and FL. This park was built by the CCC many years ago and the CG is small and tight. But they may have upgraded a loop. As I recall, they don't even have water at each site, but again may have upgraded. The nice part is there is a boat ramp on the river, and a scenic road that goes to the top of Morrow Mtn for a nice view. Mountain top has picnic shelters, parking area and a trail around the mountain. The scenic drive and parking is always packed on Saturdays and Sundays with locals out for a drive. It is a nice drive on a Sunday afternoon. We live about 45 min from there.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwillie View Post
Does anyone have any information on Morrow Mountain State Park in North Carolina? Easy grades to get to it? We would be coming from Florida with our 3/4 ton truck pulling our 5ver coming up I-95 to US 52 west. Thanks!!

BOb
I grew up in that area and have gone to MM many times. We just bought an acre of land at the bottom of MM right off of Valley Drive Road and are looking to camp on the mountain while we get our land ready to camp there. We rode up to the campsite amout a month ago just to see what they offer. Like someone else said, the lots are small, some have 50 amp hookups with water, but not sewer. They do have a dump station that is free to campers. Even though the lots were small, there was a Class A (bout 38 ft) there.

Since all of mine an DW's families live in that area, we visit there a lot. We live just north of Jacksonville FL now and have not had a chance to take our new Marimar up there yet.

I was just wondering how you came to pick Morrow Mountain?
Miramar2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #8

Carolina Campers
We camped there a couple years ago in a 32 ft Class C. The grades are not severe. You are mainly in the piedmont area of the state. It is a beautiful relaxing park. I don't remember any sites that had sewer. I know ours didn't. But we did have electric / water hookups. According to reserveamerica there are several sites suitable for long TT. See link below.

Morrow Mountain State Park, NC - Campground & Camping Details - ReserveAmerica - [NC]

Enjoy your trip!
skstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 AM   #9

I rode over there yesterday and drove through all the camping loops. One of the loops has electric, but none that I could see have dedicated water or any sewer hookups. There are community water spigots scattered around. Most of the sites are pretty small and it is really designed for tents, pups, and very small trailers. There were a couple of TTs in there, largest one looked to be 24-26 ft long. Also think you would have a tough time finding a level site. I would not take my 32ft motorhome there, but there may be others reading that have been there and had no problem getting in/out.

Let us know what you decide to do.