Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > CAMPING, TRAVEL and TRIP PLANNING > Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Mountain travel

Is there a descent way to travel from the Chicago area to raleigh NC without going through lots of mountains. Thank you
Terryshirley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2016, 04:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I use www.onthegomap.com (from Google) to plan routes. You can see the elevations and how steep the grades are. Doesn't look like much on the most direct route from Chicago to Raleigh; max elevation is about 3000 feet.

Mountains are in the western US; just hills in the east.
gfs1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #3

Just take 65 or 75 to 40....... not sure there is any meaningful difference between 65 all the way down to 40 other than taking you too far west, or transitioning from 65 to 75.

The trip over the smokies on 40 is a big snooze in an RV, although it seems some people make a big deal out of it........

It's been a long time since I drove 77 between 40 and 70, so that is the other option (65-70-77-40) but I have no opinion on driving that route in an RV. I will say, that the pass on 77 at Fancy Gap is another big snooze in an RV........ Yes, it can get slow going up, and you have to manage your speed going down, but it's not big deal.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That will be an easy trip. Nothing to worry about traveled that route quite a few times in RV and by car. The "mountains" are just not that big and the roads are open. Just keep it under the posted speeds and you will be fine.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 04:53 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I avoid I-65 through Indiana whenever possible. We had $1500 worth of pothole damage to our rig, the road was that bad. I will never travel that road again.
From Chicago, I take I-57 to I-24 to Nashville. A few more miles and fuel but a lot more sane.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by baraff View Post
I avoid I-65 through Indiana whenever possible. We had $1500 worth of pothole damage to our rig, the road was that bad. I will never travel that road again.
From Chicago, I take I-57 to I-24 to Nashville. A few more miles and fuel but a lot more sane.

How long ago and what section on I-65? They have been working on re doing most of it the past few years. The vast majority from Louisville to West Lafayette is in decent shape except the construction zones.

Steve
Old 07-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #7

Mountains are mighty nice....don't avoid them or you'll miss out on lots of beauty.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:21 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfs1943 View Post
I use www.onthegomap.com (from Google) to plan routes. You can see the elevations and how steep the grades are. Doesn't look like much on the most direct route from Chicago to Raleigh; max elevation is about 3000 feet.

Mountains are in the western US; just hills in the east.
Wow, what a wonderful tool! I use Google Maps for trip planning, but haven't heard of onthegomap. That's what I love about this site/forum, I'm always learning something.

I did buy a copy of the Mountain Directory and found it helpful. It's always nice to have a hardcopy in case you are in an area with no wifi or cell service.
kf6ybl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spk64 View Post
How long ago and what section on I-65? They have been working on re doing most of it the past few years. The vast majority from Louisville to West Lafayette is in decent shape except the construction zones.

Steve
Honestly, it has been a few years since we've been down I-65. When we last went the road was coming apart from I-80 clear to Indianapolis. People actually died due to hitting potholes, causing blowouts and losing control. We had damage from debris from the road flying up and cracking the fiberglass. That road was a disgrace. Maybe it's better now, but I still won't do it. Too many trucks and I-57 is much better.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
travel